What makes up the best 1/6 figure store?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: What makes up the best 1/6 figure store?

Because I'm moving to a larger store, I'd like to hear some feedback about what would make up the best 1/6 figure store.

Of course there are the basics:

Selection of DML
    bbi
    Hot Toys
    Toy Soldier and ACE products
    DID

Carded sets from the above companies
    Wide selection of loose accessories all properly categorized

And then we have the specialty stuff:
    Medicom RAH
    Takara Cool Girls
    Sci-Fi and movie figures

What else do we need? What would you like to see not only in terms of selection but store setup. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex
    Urban Samurai Hobbies
    www.urbansamuraihobbies.com
    Join the USH Facebook Fan Page to get all our updates sent directly to your News Feed

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would like to see a good selection of reference books for sale...paints...fabrics used for 1/6th.....fabric glues.....whatever we all use and want to buy for our hobby...it has always bothered me that you have to buy the figures one place....then go somewhere else for the references.....somewhere else for the paints....somewhere else for the fabrics...usually getting lost in there........maybe if you can...try to be a 1 stop 1/6th shop.....everything we talk about on here......everything we are looking for......stock it if you can.....keep up to what's new out there....the smallest zippers......snaps.....velcro.....I think it would work....and thanks for asking!!!
    What would that look like if I was 12" tall?

Grant

I am a big fan of loose gear from various companies. I like to be able to buy just the pieces I want from a figure or set without buying the whole thing if I don't like the fig or set as a whole. I haven't bought anything for a while so most of my stuff is Dragon, but I am definitely on a Hot Toys kick trying to catch up right now. Good luck with your store. By the way do you have an online shop or Ebay set up for those of us with no 1/6 shops in sight?
    Last edited by Tiger USMC; 10-05-2005 at 03:38. Reason: Type errors
    We Do Bad Things To Bad People.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Clones!! Lots and lots of clones!
    Rule #1: There are no rules!
    Rule #2: No outside foods.

I love loose parts, oddles and oddles of loose parts enough to bathe in..........oops back to reality. Paints, Sculppy and modeling tools plus a variety companys to choose from like BBi, Hot Toys, Ace and Dragon. As far as store setup is concerned I alway like to see glass display of figures especially if Im interested in that particular figure. A nice custom glass display would rock too. I think bins are cool for the loose parts so you can actually see what youre buying before you buy it. I like the peg bord idea for carded stuff and uniforms or whatever.
    An AK a day keeps the bad guys away.

My Trades/Wants List

I'm a fan of the Mononofu swords. Cutting them open so you can see what inside is a big plus. I'd be willing to pay a premium for the pieces that I want, rather than the roll the dice with an unopened box.

Nice displays for drooling over stuff I can't find or can't afford is cool, too.

Greg

just keep up the great email communication, its awesome that you answer so quickly, i hate it when shops dont do that, its really not much work but getting "a sign of life" makes you feel alot more comfortable after you ordered something.
    Also i like Old Joes idea of selling a boxed figure as loose parts, so you can choose the things you need and dont need to buy the whole thing.

Cool reference books would be a killer add on, and some cool big wall pics of bashes!!!

And OSW shirts on the rack!

Post pics when you get the place sorted.

low prices and a great selection.

Well....

The most common answers to your question will be price and selection.

As you tour other 1/6th retailers you'll soon understand what it is people are looking for and what's popular. Those retailers who are still around and have a solid rep, have that rep for a reason. They earned it.

Thanks for the feedback!

How would you like things organized? I always had this huge dilemma for both boxed figures and accessories.

Would you prefer the figures categorized by name brand or theme (WW2, Nam, Modern, Licensed)

Would you prefer your accessories organized by brand name or theme (Vests, BDUs, Firearms, Pouches, etc.)
    Urban Samurai Hobbies
    Join the USH Facebook Fan Page to get all our updates sent directly to your News Feed

Now that's a toughie.

I guess the loose accessories can be organized in both theme and brand name.

What I've been doing is bagging each individual part up and then put them in the appropriately categorized drawer and then on the price sticker I would put "D" for Dragon, "HT" for Hot Toys etc.

But I have never really decided how I wanted to put organized bbi and Dragon figures.

DID has always been quite obvious because because its only WW2 and some odd figures.

Same with HOt Toys, you would not mix HT with bbi stuff.
    Urban Samurai Hobbies

Id love to have a Modern section so I dont have to dig through the the old dusty WW2 section just to see what I want. There should be a loose section a carded section/uniforms/weapons/headgear then a nudes section.
    An AK a day keeps the bad guys away.

My Trades/Wants List

An available walk in store in Las Vegas, Nevada (War-Toys) went to on line selling (?). I quess I would like to see you go by brand name for organization. You could probably go by alphabetical "name" of manufacturer, figure and by theme (i.e. ww1, ww2, korea, vietnam, modern, law enforcement, fire/rescue). I think I saw the pics of your old store and like the loose items and their labelling and pricing. Probably would have a glass display with the loose in their packaging or section. A display case showing the various figures (out of box), custom and what not. Don't know "how" big your store will be, but if there is an window at the front, possibly a diorama (which ever era).
    Good Luck
    --Charlie Mike--

My biggest pet peeve, quick shipping, nothing worse than it taking 3 weeks to get something you ordered. so have a quick turnaround on shipping.

Free Figures and Beer! Ya baby!! That's the ticket!! You start handing out a free figure and cold beer and I'll absolutely guarantee you'll be the bestest store EVER!!!

I'd like reasonable shipping prices to the UK....one or two 1/6th items of clothing in an envelope cost peanuts to post across the pond, yet some places RIIPPPPP you off
    "that island of England breeds very valiant creatures".

Rambures, Henry V by William Shakespeare

The guy running it's attitude.If he's a fellow collector and not just in it for money, it's usually one of the better places to go.A good example would be Atlantic toys.

HaHa, in it for the money. Thats a funny one.

Have your customers display figures and dioramas. Make it a place enthusiasts can come, hang out and shoot the ...., whether they are there to buy that day or not. Essentially provide a bricks and mortar Chat room.

lots of your bashes displayed and lots of reference books.