IPMS Shows and 1/6 scale

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: IPMS Shows and 1/6 scale

IPMS Shows and 1/6 scale

In oct there is a local IMPS model show. I was wondering what people thought about these types of shows and 1/6 scale. I have a number of items that could be entered into some of the open catagoies but was wondering if anyone has experenice in this or is 1/6 scale to big for them....
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: IPMS Shows and 1/6 scale

I have entered some of my work in open categories and won a couple of times (even 1st place). I also have gotten A LOT of snobbish attitudes and comments about the scale. I found its even worse in the armor community (AMPS). The 1:6 stryker built/painted by elfbait and I was given 3rd place in the scratch building category. (I was pretty MIFFED by that).

It really depends on the organizers and group. Some wil get past the bias and appreciate your work for what it is. Others are stuck in what they think is good modeling.

IPMS shows in the UK accept models at any scale all the way up to 1:1. If it is a model preferably mainly of plastic you can enter. I have never heard of any problems.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It should be a good way to get more people to see 1:6 scale figures/models. They are made of plastic, and modeling comes in many genres, so this should be an acceptable add-on. Especially where kitbashing, and customizing is an entry. Not just right out of the box, but as a good way to show other options. Although I have heard of IPMS being pretty picky about some stuff, calling them toys. I haven't tried myself.

I have wondered if this would be a good addition to our local (Calgary) scene as well. We have a "good" showing of members here on OSW, but I am sure there are more than just the 7 or so of us in Calgary, and it might be a good idea to drag a few more enthusiasts out of the shadows. There's just no way that the few of us are buying all that stuff.

I've had the Ipms guys say to me "why would you use a prepainted and assembled model?"

Then I've tried to explain what had to be done to that sculpt to make it look the way it does and they just don't see it.......

Snobish is the word, but I'd really like to give one of them a stripped Dragon head and say here you paint it.....

Cya,
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

I have been to 3 local IPMS shows and entered figures, as well as vehicles w/ figures. I've won 5 awards total. Many of the staff and entrants were very receptive of my submissions (me being the only one who worked 1/6th scale), but there were also quite a few who openly frowned upon me entering "toys". After explaining the extent effort put into the works, the staffers seemed pretty impressed. Enough to let me keep coming back, anyway
    The last show I entered my German field kitchen, based from the old OSB resin kit. It was extensively modified (as anyone who's dealt w/ an OSB kit can attest). I used two DML Blitz horses, joints filled and sanded and repainted. I also built tack for both horses out of leather and metal. The limber was loaded to the gills w/ equipment and I used two Sideshow figures for the cooks ("The Chief" from Get Smart and "Renfield"). I remember these two cats, in particular, who were oogling and taking pictures. They asked me about the limber and kitchen and i told them they were from a resin kit and they were blown away. Then they asked me about the horses and figures and I told them the were heavily modified 1/6th items. Then one of them said--"Oh, never mind. They're toys."
    "Preblown. It's like Preheat. Set it up to blow up. I'm already preblown because I'm already hooked up. Don't make no sense, don't it? Of course it don't. Dimebonics."
    e5sargemac's pbase gallery

That sort of attitude is daft, what are Airfix kits if they are not 'toys'???? LOL

Nothing in 1/6 at the Fort Worth SuperCon2010 today... But there were some really excellent kitbash ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    The 1:6 stryker built/painted by elfbait and I was given 3rd place in the scratch building category. (I was pretty MIFFED by that).
    I remember that Stryker and it was sick. Yeah alot of armor modellers look down on what we do but to hell with em
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten