Sideshow response to Ransome's review of SST French Foreign legionaire

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Sideshow response to Ransome's review of SST French Foreign legionaire

Sideshow response to Ransome's review of SST French Foreign legionaire

Hi guys,

Thought I'll share this with you. This is from a correspondence with a Sideshow employee regarding their recently released SST French Foreign Algeria/Morocco legionaire-figure and my review (http://www.ransomechua.com)

"I spoke to our production manager about your concerns with the legionnaire, and he read your emails as well. He understands your concerns, and was sorry to say that for this figure we cannot make any changes at this point. He mentioned that in some cases our final product differs from the production samples that we approve, and because we don't know that until the pieces arrive here, our hands are tied.

It is discouraging to end up with a product that doesn't match our originalvision, so we just try to take those instances and make sure that we don't find ourselves in the same situation again.

The feedback we get from collectors is also a big factor in making positive improvements in our production process. So please keep letting us know what you think!"

Well, at least it's good to know that they keep their channels open.

Ran

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

And it's precisely stuff like this that will literally push me towards manufacturers that are willing to hear what the collectors say. Good on SST. This'll get you even more of my coin.

I have to say I was looking forward to this figure...until I read your review Ran. I think your review was fair from what I could see in the pictures and I think SST realized that. They sound kinda disappointed in the figure too.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was looking very much to this figure too and thought it would be one of their best 1/6th scale releases for this year. Anyway, it's good to know they have their ears to the ground.

Ran

Will you be reviewing the RMLE legionnaire as well? I just got mine and although it has some of the same problems, it seems a bit better. Although I can't understand how they would forget to hem the edges of the greatcoat, yet give it and the tunic underneath working pockets...talk about strange priorities...

Michael

Will I be reviewing the RMLE legionnaire as well? I will, if I get my hands on one, Michael... wait a minute, I can't recall whether I placed an order for one! I know I've an order for the Morocco legionaire but haven't made the time to pick it up. Sorry about the brainfart...

There was an earlier thread here about the publicity pixs for the RMLE legionaire, the accessories seem interesting but I'll save my comments until I see the actual figure.

Going by what you said about the non-existance of facings for the RMLE legionaire's greatcoat, I believe both the Morocco and RMLE legionaire were realised the same time, hence the same problems occuring...

Ran

I'm glad to hear you got a response Ran, now I hope some action is taken. The problems of visualizing, mocking-up, and approving samples, are known to a lot of us, from our contacts and members who also produce figures and or gear. It has to be the bottom of the pit, to see a good figure undone by someone dropping the ball down the line.
    The difference at this point lies between saying "oh well", and snapping some people into line. Yes, it's not just clapping your hands and the problem disappears, but inaction will be a signal to customers that they will have to choose between lesser quality and passing on figures. If my means of making a living was endangered by someone who failed to meet the specs I asked for, I would light a rocket up their backside, or drop them and move to someone else. To do otherwise sets contractors up in a position of modifying your product at their whimsy, which is unacceptable.

I canceled my order for the RMLE figure, and spent some of the money to buy loose parts. I've become "gunshy" about picking that figure up without benefit of a good review. The real indicator should be the next series of figures, if and when they appear.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I bought both, and received the North African Legionaire just after reading Ran's review. I agreed with everything he said, but I fiddled about, made a few adjustments, and I'm now pretty happy. However, some parts just weren't up to it, and I replaced his kepi with one of the small works of art that PAD made and very kindly donated to a small number of us francophiles.

That said, I was braced for bad news with the RMLE figure, but in fact I think it was a better product. Same problems, mainly the strapping is way too long on the webbing and the leggings/boots are pretty poor, plus obviously the coat facings, but generally a much better effort. My biggest moan is that it was the same HS on both figs. Don't get me wrong, I am a Coops fan too, but I really wanted a salty old campaigner with full poilu facial hair!!

I still plan to get these figures in the future. I'm just glad that Sideshow understands our concerns and will address them, instead of slapping the back of our heads and yelling "GET OVER IT!"
    But history, which is never tidy, must always end with questions. Conclusions are much too convenient.
    --Antony Beevor

I'm just glad Ran gave an honest review. And SST responded to his expertise in a positive way.
    I also have to agree with AEB1 about the HS. It seems that if your a FFL collector that it would be dissapointing to see the same one being used again. How you gonna do an interesting Photostory if all your guys look the same? I expect it was to save money. I have several SST figures and I like them alot but I don't think I want the same two HS on different figs, let alone being the same era and I'm sure we all feel the same way about that.

How you gonna do an interesting Photostory if all your guys look the same?
    - French Foreign Clone Troopers????

THAT is really disappointing.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I have several SST figures and I like them alot but I don't think I want the same two HS on different figs, let alone being the same era and I'm sure we all feel the same way about that.

Good point there Ron. Seems like they were squeezing value out of that Cooper headsculpt. On the other hand, it's an opportunity for those so inclined to customise that High Noon or Sgt York Gary Cooper figure.

Ran