Weathering TS Nam Tiger Stripes

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weathering TS Nam Tiger Stripes

Weathering TS Nam Tiger Stripes

When the TS Nam Navy Seal came out last year I got 3 sets. I gave 1 away and then decided to use those very limited tigers on a LRRP figure. That left 1 set and being hard to get I wanted to save them for something special.
    Much to my surprise {and delight} Echo Base started to carry just the uniforms. Like many of us who love this hobby, limited production sets triggers a hoarding reaction, and I was no different.I purchased 5 more sets.
    Today I took all 6 sets that I had and bleached them......as time allows I will show how I weather them.

Here they are, 1 Nam Seal set and 5 of the Echo Base limited sets....

Opened the bags and getting ready to bleach them with hot water and a spoonful of bleach....

When I have more time I will post more of the process. Hollywood

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good luck my friend!

LOL You're much braver than I am. I was going to mod a set of those, but couldn't bear to do anything to a $20 uniform.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here are some shots of my 1/1 scale tigers......Repro's BTW

Close-up of hole in knee...

Pocket detail...Note the worn edges....kind of faded at the seams.

Now, on to the weathering part...
    Using about 3 qts. HOT water and only a small spoonful of bleach, dunk the uniform in the mix {a large plastic mixing bowl works for me}. Do NOT walk off to answer the phone or take the dog outside or anything else! Stay at the job and only let the uniform soak for 30 seconds or so....remove uniform and rinse under HOT tap water....ring it out. If you can't wait for it to dry overnight, speed the process with a hair dryer. Check your handy work, if it is not light enough, bleach again, rinse and dry. Remember that too much bleach will DESTROY the uniform! Less is better in this case.

The hat in the middle of the photo has not been bleached....

Another shot showing the color difference inside the hat.....the boonie on the right has not been bleached

Next I use a giant nail file to distress the cloth. I lay it out flat on a table and sand it. This process lightens the cloth further as well as breaking the uniform in. Be careful, aggressive sanding {especially on doubled over cloth} can put large holes in a uniform in seconds. Work slowly and evenly, focusing on high wear areas {knees, elbows, but,pockets and seams}.

Left is a bleached uniform, right bleached and sanded. Nail file in middle.

Next time I'll add some stuff about pastels and how I use them to weather.

That looks awesome- the unis look a little bright to begin with and this would add so much more realism to a bash I can already tell.

Question for you and anyone else in the know- would this process be useful for modern 3C Desert, 6C Desert or woodland uniforms to improve coloring/show wear- I'm not sure how the modern fabrics react to constant wear and tear. I wanted to know if I try this on any of the above mentioned 1/6 scale unis if it would look right.

Thanks for the help in advance, and awesome work once again.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Nice! They look so much better and more vibrant like your 1:1's after the bleach job.
    That is a spiffy weathering job too, looks like your lrrp teams been through hell and back [or at least their laundry has ]
    Seeing you put this much work into their wardrobe, I can't wait to see the finished team

Great Technique, i take it you use rubber gloves when you use the bleach? Just wanna make sure before i try something myself (left hand already partially cut to shreds at the moment *g*)

Next, its time to get out the pastels. I use a #11 blade and scrape the pastel stick into a fine powder. In this case I used a medium brown and black mixed together. Using a flat paintbrush, I spread the pastel powder into seams and around pockets etc. Use the brush to "grind" the powder deep into the cloth. You can go sparingly or heavy depending on the effect you are trying to achieve.

This picture shows tools and my start on "Painting" the uniform with the pastel powder.

Next picture shows all seams and places where dirt and grime may collect.
    It may look like "too much" but I will fix that next.

After you have added all the powder you want you can leave it as is or if you think you have overdone it you can wash "most" of it out with water. In my case I heavily weathered this uniform and then washed it out in warm water, wringing out the color I had added. It left behind traces of the "dirt" in the seams and around pockets...just like I wanted.

This next picture shows the weathered uniform on the left and the bleached uniform on the right. The guy on the right is a "Saigon commando" and would never dare to get that set of tigers dirty. Hope you liked my method...

Wow! That little bit of work you did on 'em looks fantastic!!

Distressing uniforms.

I've done something similiar to DML SS helmet covers. I'll get them wet (still on the helmet) and rub them in some dirt. Brush off the excess and you're good to go.

Good tutorial Sarge.....and the result is just plain AWESOME ...I do my uniforms similar...but instead of a nail file I use Sandpaper....
    Very good Work Sarge
    For what its worth!?

My Trade Feedback

Just a quick thanks to you guys. As to wearing gloves while bleaching, that would be a good idea, and also when using pastels because they will get all over anything you touch.
    As to modern uniforms, I do not know how they weather in 1/1 scale, but there are plenty of reference pictures out there to use. Bleach can really do a number on certain types of cloth and the dyes used in them. I once bleached a 21st Century Russian Stalingrad trooper uniform, it was a khaki color but when it came out of the bleach solution it turned bright orange! If you can, test the technique on cheap stuff, if it goes sour you can always re-dye the item.
    Pastels can also be used to fade or brighten a uniform. Sometimes I use an off-white color on clothes that will react poorly to bleach, or on clothes that would have seen alot of light colored dust. Test, experiment and write down the results so you can get consistant results. All for now, Hollywood

This is an awesome tutorial Sgt.Hollywood, and should be archived to"customizing tips",(don't look at me, I'm $h!tty when it comes to that crap). Much appreciated for the tips!!!
    "No matter how hard, how difficult, I always do what comes next."

Great tutorial Sgt!

Gin.
    Got Love?

yes indeed, excellent. Appreciate you taking the time to show us your work.

Hey Sgt.Hollywood would you please give me the web address were i can purchase a pare of those BDUs. Good job by the way!

Here ya go.....these uniforms ROCK!!!!!

http://www.echobasetoys.com/More_12_...dier_Index.htm

awsome, thanks. So are they worth $20.00?

Yes, they are worth $20. Even my mom thought so, and she hates most of my 1/6 purchases.

Was comparing photos of the loose Tiger stripes uni and the new TS Mike set on Echo Base Toys.

Is it me or do the loose sets that Sgt picked up look better than the ones from the Mike Set?

What do you think?

Gin.
    Got Love?

Just got a set from echobase today, AWSOME!
    gin47alc, I think the loose ones are better.

Worked like a charm Murray! Thanks for the tip!
    Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light...

Whew!

Looks good Murray.

But TS uniforms?

And Bleach???
    Maintiens le Droits

Thanks for such a tutorial.

I haven't tried yet, but with such a good explanation, it should be possible now !

Great tute - thank you, I'm going to try it.

One thing I can add - Alan Hsu of TS uses alcohol to 'grind' the pastels in with. Having seen his Kenn Miller up close I can vouch for it's efficacy.

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
    Craig659

Good info. I will store it in my how to section!

I wonder how Barrack Sergeant Tigerstripe will turn out?

Thanks, SGT Hollywood for the tips.

If time isn't a consideration, I throw my particular uniform on an old figure and put it outside for several weeks. Nature does its job.

Of course, you can expect strange looks from your neighbors, but what the heck: If they can't take a joke....

After the uniform has been out for a while or it's weathered to your liking, take it in and give it a coupe of washes, perferably in cold water. You end up with a beaten, battered, and weatered uniform.

Regards

Jack
    "You ever been to Southeast Asia, Mr. Beckworth?.....Ahhhhhh.....haaaa!"