One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

USMC VIETNAM First weathering attempt!!

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mike45 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always admired the weathering effects that some members do with their figures,but never having tried it myself ,I was a bit reluctant to do so mainly because of the permanent nature of some of the paints etc etc.The other night i decided to give it a try,now i didnt have any pastels or paints in the right colour ,for what i was trying to achieve then :clap I had an idea.I got this bag of crushed red rock(like they use on baseball bases)and crushed it some more with a mortar and pestle added a bit of water to make a thick paste used a #4 bristle artists brush and went to work.The following pics are the results,what i like about this organic method is that it washes straight off the plastics and i guess it will with the fabric aswell,also it gives the rubber boots a great effect cause the gritty bits get ito the nooks and crannys.The figure is mainly DML James/NAM with a DML Brian/spec ops Kuwait HS and TUS torch and home made bandolier,c rations spoon & pencil.For a first attempt i'm pretty happy with it, weathering really does bring a figure to life.And after seeing USMC Waynes NAM series i was inspired to use a Marine for my model.Hope you like it. Cheers!

#5 ·
Nice job.

I'm a big believer that dirty is better...unless your little fellas are garrison troops.

When you're weathering someone, just imagine where the sweat, dirt, and grime accumulates on you in a typical day. Now imagine what would happen if you were stuck in a foxhole in the rain, or if you were walking point in 100% humidity, or if you hadn't been able to change clothes or take a shower in a few days.

#7 ·
Fine job Mike, Brian's got the proper surly mug for a good Marine. That bandoleer is excellent, looks as good as any I've seen. The weathering technique's a keeper, and works really well.

#10 ·
Glad you all approve,USMCWayne i get what your saying,it'd be like if you were bashing a REMF i guess you wouldnt have to weather him at all except for some ink stains LOL.As for Brian,he was my first DML figure and i always liked the HS he's got that stare that suits the NAM bashes,well its too bloody cold to work on the Huey in the shed so i'll just have to get to work on the other five Marines.PS I will try to make the pics better next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.