One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

116th Infantry Regimental Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division, Normandy 1944

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  USMCWayne 
#1 ·

A typical member of the four man wire cutting team from Company A, 1st Battalion, 116th Infantry Regiment on June 6, 1944.

On June 6, each first wave assault boat team consisted of thirty men; an officer boat team leader, NCO assistant boat team leader, 5 man rifle team, 4 man BAR team, 4 man 60 mm mortar team, 4 man bazooka team, 2 man flamethrower team, a 5 man demolition team, and a 4 man wire cutting team.

All documentary evidence indicates assault troops from the 116th Regiment wore impregnated wool uniforms, with a field jacket.

Company A of the 116th, landing in the first wave directly in front of the emplacements at Vierville, suffered 90% casualties.

See less See more
#6 ·
Seems like just about every WWII invasion scene has a bangalore team getting shot up:lol

The bangalores came with the DML Mike Connolly 29th ID figure, but I've also bought a few extra for beach dios.

Against my better wishes, and because I was on a time constraint earlier today, I had to shoot from a higher angle than I like. Too many Tonka trucks and other toys in the sandbox. I threw aside what I could, and shot the "beach" shots before heading to the lake.

Couple other issues. I wrapped the bangalores in a life vest, as I've seen documentary evidence where troopers used the vests to keep the bangalores from sinking.

Just today I also read when the 116th (and probably other RCT's) were ordered to keep their helmet straps hooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.