Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetype Nude Review

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetype Nude Review

Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetype Nude Review

Just got my Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetypes and took some photos to make this review. I'll try to make this thread as extensive as possible and will take more photos later when I have the time to fully kit the nude with gears and stuffs. If you have other inputs or info, feel free to share them.

First off, we'll start with comparison photos. It's obvious that Hot Toys took ACE's nude as their idea base and made lots of improvement to it. So much so that they beat ACE and their own old Truetype in the process

Below from L to R: ACE nude, TTM-16, TTM-15, Caucasian Relaunch Truetype (Wentworth Miller lookalike), John Connor narrow shouldered Truetype.

Side by side with Caucasian Relaunch Truetype.

Side by side with narrow shouldered Truetype.

Next up, the good stuffs:

- Neck joint looks more lifelike compared to the old Truetype. HT made the neck longer and added a little protruding to cover the gap between the neck and body, making the whole thing more natural.

- The torso is now better proportioned. The abdomen is not as small as the old Truetype and HT also added nipples, veins and more defined muscle sculpts on the arms.

- Arms articulations have been improved. Haven't tested it with weapon-holding stances but let's just say it's more like ACE and way better than the old Truetype.

And then, the bad stuffs:

- They're expensive.

- The nudes (both African and Caucasian) are top heavy. And with the double jointed ankles, these are very likely to topple over and dive. You might want to dab super glue to the ankle joints to make it more steady.

- Visible mold line on the Caucasian head sides, both left and right.

- The optional thigh parts are great and stick quite well on the thighs. They won't move so much when you twist them from side to side but can easily slide up or down. You might want to glue them to the legs.

- While the nude looks great naked (and definitely will look great in tight fitting clothing), it suffers the short neck syndrome when clothed with HT military BDU as can be seen below.

I've seen similar problem when the figure is clothed in formal suit and in full military gear (see tang's thread here).

The only way out I guess is to just stick the head/neck to the old Truetype like so:

Conclusion:
    So, are these worth it? It's kinda hard to say. I was pretty stoked when these were announced and now am disappointed that they don't live up to my expectations. But if you plan on displaying them in tight Tees, formal attire (shirts and ties but no suits) or polo shirts, then these are definitely for you.

It seems all HT clothing were tailored around the old Truetypes and now that they release the advanced Truetypes, we'll have to wait until HT release new clothing tailored around them to fully enjoy the "advancement". If I had known about this, I'd just buy the heads and neck joints and use them on my spare old Truetypes.

I have one more coming in and frankly kinda regret that I bought so many (three total). Guess I'll just use them for my Navy Seal Divers..... sigh to undo and redo the whole setup....

A conspiratorial side note: I wonder if HT designed this body specifically for Christopher Reeves' Superman and then decided to cash in on it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetype Nude Review

Very nice review doly. The reason the advanced version appears to have no neck is the use of the long neck post. If u used the short neck post with older HT head sculpts, they should look good as military kitbash. Anyway, I extended the base peg of Lincoln and he now looks taller and the no neck situation isnt that bad. Will post pics in my thread when I m done.

Cheers
    Tang
    WTS and WTB thread
    Trade Reference SOD OFF! I have 7 pages of Positive TRADE REFS! QUIT thinking everyone is out to con you!

Pretty cool, I am anticipating the AA TT for a bash and while I wish it wasn't Obama's likeness for the hs, I can make do with it. I am liking the better looking torso section and the extra girth in the thighs so there won't be that skinny leg look when wearing pants.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the review. Been wanting to get me a couple of the newer Truetypes. Sadly the Obama sculpt kills it for me in terms of an AA choice...
    "Preblown. It's like Preheat. Set it up to blow up. I'm already preblown because I'm already hooked up. Don't make no sense, don't it? Of course it don't. Dimebonics."
    e5sargemac's pbase gallery

Good review!

Seems they're also much less shiny than other figure bodies. Nice review.
    "Nothing is more frustrating than piloting concentrated adrenaline in a sea of buzzkill."

Thanks for the review, don't think I'll be getting these.

Very nice review, Doly. Very in depth, well done
    Molon Labe

nice review

Cool. Did not realized that they would be so different. I'm sure I'll find a good use for them.

Maybe they can wear all the ACE sets I have.

Thanks Doly - great review. I have a bunch of these new TT's coming, so I'm a bit concerned about the neck issue. It appears the problem is that the neck ball joint is set too low, and using heads with a molded neck (and low neck adapter) won't do any good.

Thanks for posting the links - I may have to try the neck mod posted on OSCF. Note that there are two mods, extending the neck joint and changing the neck joint angle. Btw, what is teflon rebase? I assume its some sort of bonding material - wonder what is a good substitute....

For those interested, I did a quick translation of the OSCF article (?Body Custom????? :: ONE SIXTH CUSTOM FIGURE

Body Custom – Neck Extension

Although (the neck length) it is noticeable when wearing current equipment/gear, with a normal body as is you don't really get the feeling of a short/buried neck. I notice (the neck) so every time I mod and extend the neck.

(Note that detailed instructions are not given - instead you should just look at and follow the pictures - my paragraphs correspond to those in the article and the respective photos).

Basically the neck joint shaft is cut off and replaced with a screw to make the position of the ball joint higher.

A 2.6 mm screw is used, with a hole of 2.4 mm in diameter. If the hole is too small relative to the screw, the plastic will be overly stressed (with hard plastic it may also split/crack), so the hole diameter should be about 0.2mm less than the screw diameter.

While only extending the neck joint shaft may be enough, another improvement is to change the angle/lean of the neck (as in the photo). This improves on the stock vertical neck post (which has limited forwarded movement).

Changing the neck joint angle/lean is also a simple operation/procedure – the bearing/shaft housing is cut with a saw and fixed at an angle with Teflon rebase. Incidentally, the position of the housing can also be moved up a little.

The shaft will be loose (following the changes), so the shaft coupling in the chest piece is filled up with rebase to firm up and tighten the joint. If you can skillfully use semi-cured rebase this procedure will be ultra simple.

(Note: the author did not take a "before picture" and expresses concern that it may be hard to discern the changes made.)

Doly: There are some inaccuracy/improvement to your review. Wolverine head has a deep socket, on a standard TT neck it would look short. and cannot move at all.

The pics below: The double ball joint is much longer and has a much wider range (left: Advance). The short and deep set (right: Standard) double ball joint is very limiting, you can hardly have any movement at the base of the head. The advance head also has a deep socket. Changing the new (head + neck) to a Stard. TT does not increase the neck length as the ball joint in the both torso is of similar height.

Just to prove a point: Here's MechTest Tony head is pretty standard (socket depth).. It sits on a TTM-16 (Adv.) neck and the neck is on a Standard narrow shoulder TT (TTM-14) body.

Nikoniko: The based of the neck on the body for TT or Advance TT is very similar positioned. Just that (a weakness of Advance TT) the neck opening is much smaller on Advance TT thus limiting the neck movement at that position... much wider movement is delegated to the top joint..

Another weakness (Advance bodies): long double ball joint expose large gap at the base of the head at their extreme pose (Tony pic on right)

Points/Advantages:

1. Advance body's upper torso is actually slightly narrower than standard TT. The shoulder also has wider articulation range than the standard (due mostly to different upper torso).

2. Advance bodies have smaller buttocks, has soft rubbery exterior to made the pelvic gap smaller but allows wider articulation range than the standard.
    Last edited by BeastX; 07-27-2010 at 22:31.

Mine arrived last saturday (TTM16) and put on HT DCU right away to see the difference with the earlier TT. Got a disappointed by the short neck post especially if you put on the vest. The shoulder pads were almost touching the jaw of the HS. BUT I really like the improvement on the torso.

Quote Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
    Mine arrived last saturday (TTM16) and put on HT DCU right away to see the difference with the earlier TT. Got a disappointed by the short neck post especially if you put on the vest. The shoulder pads were almost touching the jaw of the HS. BUT I really like the improvement on the torso.
    TT heads with fixed necks from previous release should look fine (length-wise) on these Advance bodies (but will have more limited neck movement, due to smaller neck hole).

Quote Originally Posted by BeastX View Post
    TT heads with fixed necks from previous release should look fine (length-wise) on these Advance bodies (but will have more limited neck movement, due to smaller neck hole).
    Will try that one. I'm pretty sure it will work. Guess I'll have to find a muscular body for the Purcell HS.

Thanks Beastx! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastX View Post
    Nikoniko: The based of the neck on the body for TT or Advance TT is very similar positioned. Just that (a weakness of Advance TT) the neck opening is much smaller on Advance TT thus limiting the neck movement at that position... much wider movement is delegated to the top joint.
    Thanks BeastX. So the "short neck syndrome" is due to how deep the top kneck ball joint sits in the head? I suppose Jun's mod (posted on OSCF) would work (by raising the neck out of the chest/torso. I wonder if there is another way to somehow fill out the bottom of the headsculpt so that the ball joint sits lower.... I'll need to play around with them when I get my hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by nikoniko View Post
    Thanks BeastX. So the "short neck syndrome" is due to how deep the top kneck ball joint sits in the head? I suppose Jun's mod (posted on OSCF) would work (by raising the neck out of the chest/torso. I wonder if there is another way to somehow fill out the bottom of the headsculpt so that the ball joint sits lower.... I'll need to play around with them when I get my hands on them.
    Jun's mod would be better... raising the ball attached to the body will allow more articulation range to the neck (especially bending to the sides).

Just got these, pretty into the new neck style for neckless heads, the articulation is really great. These bodies are good for the heads with giraffe neck syndrome. Like the Stone Cold Killers head for instance, always bugged me how it looked on a regular TT body, on these it's more natural.

snowblood, and those interested:

While the ball joint within the torso of the body is relative same position (overall head to body)... The area above the clavicle of the Advance body is much higher as shown in the image below. It would appear Advance body has shorter neck, when it is the area surround the neck is the one that's raised.

Right: That's the entire (neck + head) of Advance body on a narrow TT body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Toys TTM-15 & TTM-16 Advanced Truetype Nude Review-pbreak-jpg  

Great review and pics doly - thanks for the comparison pics too
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

GREAT REVEIWS!!!!!!!!!!

Great review, 1:6 bodies have come a long way...I like all the in depth analysis...just wish they weren't so darn expensive!! The likeness selection on this batch(Obama and long haired one) is terrible IMO. They should just be more random and non-celebs completely...thats my only gripe with most HS's lately, too many attempts at celebs.

Great review. Have to add this to my review. I think it's Dominic Purcell on the HS Doly?
    Last edited by Davinator65; 07-29-2010 at 12:28.
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Quote Originally Posted by hqpham View Post
    The likeness selection on this batch(Obama and long haired one) is terrible IMO. They should just be more random and non-celebs completely...thats my only gripe with most HS's lately, too many attempts at celebs.

Who is the longhaired guy supposed to be?

tang: Thanks man. I reread your thread and your mod tip is a very good idea! I'll mod my TT using your tip.

Chesh313, e5sargemac, gunm, Solidsnakejose, The Great Shaggy, cdn_rhino, Tonzez, hqpham: Thanks a lot for checking out my review guys.

bubbahotep7: Yeah, they're very flat. But I wish the body surface would be a bit coarse so that the clothes will stick better and hang like in 1/1.

nikoniko: Thanks man and thanks a lot for the translation. There's a pic and some notes of Rebase in SpecFIGURES 4. The box says it's a self curing acrylic resin for repair. It's a liquid 2-part thing. I'll see if I can scan the page and post it here next week.

BeastX: Thanks for the extra info BeastX. I compared in-use neck joints, didn't know they're actually of the same height. Also, that Stark head picture inspired me to test it with Wolverine head and the old Truetype (why didn't I think of it ). It sure fixes the problem easily. Too bad the neck joint is sold loose at a premium everywhere. Guess I'll have to recast it myself later. Will try the fixed neck head solution too.

Sir Eaton Flipflop: Thanks man. I enjoy reading your reviews too (and especially salivating at the mod pics ).

Davinator65: Thanks Dave. Yep, it's Dom Purcell.

azazel: I think he's supposed to be Gambit from Wolverine Origins movie.

Great review, although i am still debating whether to get them or not. Black ops has em parted out, but at e cost, need to see them in person. Although this review is swaying me towards getting item.

Just got my new TT's. Doly, if you'd permit, I'd like to chime in with my thoughts.

All three types are well made - really solid plastic with the redesigned and stronger knee and elbow joints. I've heard these were made of PVC - doesn't feel like PVC - just a stronger type of ABS. I haven't had a chance to fully gear up the Advanced TT to gauge how the short neck issue is, but with minimal gear it appears will be fine.

My only negative - the Caucasian Advanced has a HUGE noggin! And I know he's supposed to be Dominc Purcell from Prison Break (a show I've never seen), but to me he looks like Jason Kidd - star NBA point guard for the Dallas Mavericks (and Cal alumni - GO BEARS!). I was planning on using a Caucasian Advanced for a WWII bash, but there's no way the Soldier Story M1 helmet I was planning to use will fit. Plus his ears are really big and stick out.

Positives:

- Amazing paint job on the HS - comparable to all the licensed figures HT is putting out.
    - Great, solid plastic (see above). No fear of turning a joint too hard for fear of breaking (unlike older TTs).
    - All joints are pretty tight and solid. The shoulder rotation joint is actually ratcheted.
    - Figure has great proportions - no more "too wide" shoulders.
    - HT included extra wrist pegs!

So the body is plenty sturdy, and I like the rubber gasket they added to the wrists. Neck is ok, may not work with every figure I've got, but that's part of life.

Here's my real issue. Don't know if everyone's is like this, but the color on mine is an ashy, corpse-y grey. I've got dozens of figures from multiple companies, and don't have a single one that comes close to matching the color. Bought 2, and can't really use them for the figures I wanted to. Please don't say paint 'em, I suck at that, will have to find a masked guy to use them with...

Gets to go in my almost perfect column, with my orange Ace and salmon-y pink Soldier Story bodies. So close; why Hot Toys, why?

I got mine in, swapped the Obama head to another body (I really just bought the AA Advanced for my Blade WIP) and have started working the Purcell into Drake from Blade Trinity.

this body does look great on tight fitting clothes.
    used this one for a deadpool(still a WIP), with kato's jumpsuit. awesome match.

- HT included extra wrist pegs! very handy indeed.
    why gamble with money...

...when you can gamble with LIFE.

TT's have been a little hit and miss for me, most of the prime projects I bought them for ended up on other bodies. One is now Don Vito and the other is Doctor Who! It's a height thing for me, get the wrong head and they look phenomenally tall.

Slims, TTL's and Soldier Stories seem better for height to me.