Tyrus Review - This is Triad's Best Figure!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Tyrus Review - This is Triad's Best Figure!

Tyrus Review - This is Triad's Best Figure!

triad has really outdone themselves with tyrus. i havent even touched any of my alphas or my hot toys t2 arnie because of this guy. the alphas and arnold i opened, looked, played a little and put them back in the box but tyrus man oh man this guys is just frickin awesome. there is just so much character to the face and everything about him is pure awesomeness. tyrus is by far my favorite figure from triad. he's even cooler than lola and i thought she just outdid everything that has been released so far

i'm going to get all my thoughts out first and i'll upload pictures later while it's still fresh. besides my night photos suck pretty bad and gonna wait for some daylight shots. im gonna try and give it a 5 star system like michael crawford. :

painting - 5
    he looks exactly like the prototype photos on the website. both the tatoos on his head and arm looks really nice and crisp. the paintwork looks really good and smooth and much better than the josh randall figure. they matted his skin down and the light fuzz on his head and 5oclock shadow is really nice. eyes and lips are nicely painted and glossed too. the hair is a lot nicer than i expected. i know he's using the same sculpt as the omega hispanic body but man he looks awesome with this get up. they used some sort of really fine fur material so the scale is nice. the hair is nicely trimmed. i added some hair gel and he looks 100 times better. this is a really awesome way of doing real hair and i hope triad continues to do more figures like this

clothing and gear 4
    as expected triad kicks butt with clothing. no complaints here and you can expect same quality with all of their other clothing items. top notch stuff as always. all of the pouches and pockets open up and are functional. the only thing i noticed is that some of the straps on his mask and the straps on his arm knife comes off. i bought two tyrus figures and the first one, one strap came off of the mask inside the box. the other one the strap popped off when i was putting his knife on his arms. either triad used some really weak glue to glue the straps on, our the heat from summer weakened it. it's pretty dang hot here in california and i noticed my shipment was pretty hot sitting in the mailbox. anyways, it's an easy fix because i just dabbed some super glue on the strap and glued it back in place and it hasnt come off since. so not really a complaint but just pointing it out. the mask is really nicely painted and weathered. the eyeholes have a nice tint to it and not pitch black as i thought from seeing the photos

weapons 5
    he comes with the exact same set up as the vanity submachine gun. however, i did notice that it's a lot smoother and better. the vanity gun was really stiff and hard to put together. i sanded the hell out of the vanity gun to get it to fit smoothly and some parts wouldnt even come together. but it appears triad has fixed all that with tyrus. the attachments slide on and off nicely. some of the pegs are too tight or too loose, but that's an easy fix with a little sanding. i tried some of the vanity parts on and mixed and matched and it works really well. the pistol and his knife is nicely painted and weathered. but the submachine gun isnt weathered so i tried my hand at weathering for the first time pics coming soon

body/articulation 4
    tyrus is on the omega body. it's not the evo, but it's still awesome. i never had any problems with the omega and the articulation is quite nice. he has feet inside the boots so there is a lot of ankle articulation unlike some of the hot toys or sideshow figures, which is really nice considering you need some awesome gun battle poses for this guy. overall still awesome but i'll probably end up replacing him with either an evo body or something alot more muscular - maybe one of those bodies triad previewed with the musclar arms would be awesome for tyrus

packaging 5
    while its the exact same as the josh randall box which i really love btw, there are more pictures rather than jsut the standard colors you see on lola, vanity etc. you can finally see what you're buying for a change. : i hope they continue in this trend because the box art is really nice. another nice touch they did was they added the profile on the back of the box. they did it with lola and vanity, but it was just a small paragraph. there's a photo and actual stats on the back of the box. kinda reminds me of the old gi joe figures which i thought was pretty cool

overall 5
    i absolutely love tyrus. he is just sooo badass!!! for the asking price, you get a crapload of items. one of the things i wasnt crazy about with some of the military figures by other manufacturers is they always put so much gear in it where you cant possibly load everything on a figure. and i think they do it mainly to boost up the price honestly : but with tyrus everything he comes with goes somewhere. i manged to fit all of his extra gun parts into his vest pouches or hang them on his holsters and belt. tyrus is well worth it and i think i'll pick up another one for another special ops bash or something. overall i think triad has really shined with this figure and i am sure glad they took their sweet time to release him. well worth the wait. he's going on my top shelf as one of my favorite figures! really awesome figure

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Tyrus Review - This is Triad's Best Figure!

The armour and mask are so cool! But then they hide the cool sculpt and tats! Argh, dilema.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Thanks for the review and pics. I want that mask SO bad!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like Triad scored a winner here. Thanks for the detailed review. Really helpful.

Thanks for the review! This wasn't really on my radar until now!

Cool. Funny how their boxed figures look like their pictures but their base figures don't. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

it's a long wait isn't it!!! :P

Nice looking figure, but with limited gear and a hefty price tag of ($99) for a figure that has a lot of rehashed items count me out.

That's the same headsculpt that came with the Omega body except for a change in hair color. The vest doesn't match the weapon, as the pouches look more suitable for 5.56 mags and 40mm rounds. Molded boots, really? They look on par with boots Dragon & 21c were doing a decade ago.

So basically you are paying $99 for the KRISS and the mask. Sorry Triad shills and fanboys, but I have to call it like I see it, and there is no way Tyrus = $99.

Quote Originally Posted by cree82 View Post
    Sorry Triad shills and fanboys, but I have to call it like I see it, and there is no way Tyrus = $99.
    hehe. that didn't take long at all. how about a "thank you for sharing with your fellow collectors" instead of calling names because someone actually disagrees with your views for a change

i like him and think he's well worth it. you dont see me name calling other collectors for what THEY BUY. maybe you can write your own detailed review and take some pictures so we can all call you names too

besides rehashed gear comes with 99% of military figures whatcha talkin about?

Quote Originally Posted by jinroh75 View Post
    hehe. that didn't take long at all. how about a "thank you for sharing with your fellow collectors" instead of calling names because someone actually disagrees with your views for a change

i like him and think he's well worth it. you dont see me name calling other collectors for what THEY BUY. maybe you can write your own detailed review and take some pictures so we can all call you names too

besides rehashed gear comes with 99% of military figures whatcha talkin about?
    That comment was not directed towards you, but if the shoe fits......... In general Triad seems to have a lot of fans that support them regardless of the quality.

I agree with you about rehashed stuff on military figures. But manufacturers that do military, work with more limited parameters than someone that has a freer creative license in the genre of sci-fi or fantasy. For example take the Sideshow G.I Joe Firefly, it came with 10x the gear for around the same price.

The Omega body ( I have 2) leaves a lot to be desired as well. I will leave it at that. They couldn't put it on an Evo body?

I actually like the figure, and wanted it when I saw it at the Sacramento GI Joe Show. Problem I have with it is the price tag. With limited gear, it should be in the $65-75 price range.
    Last edited by cree82; 07-18-2010 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by cree82 View Post
    Nice looking figure, but with limited gear and a hefty price tag of ($99) for a figure that has a lot of rehashed items count me out.

That's the same headsculpt that came with the Omega body except for a change in hair color. The vest doesn't match the weapon, as the pouches look more suitable for 5.56 mags and 40mm rounds. Molded boots, really? They look on par with boots Dragon & 21c were doing a decade ago.

So basically you are paying $99 for the KRISS and the mask. Sorry Triad shills and fanboys, but I have to call it like I see it, and there is no way Tyrus = $99.
    ouch, the truth hurts
    "Yeah, well. The Dude abides."

while i do agree with you on some points i consider that these runs are a lot smaller than something like a cobra commander. triad is a much smaller outfit and i figure their pricing probably has more to do with their runs. i actually applaud them for doing things that are more creative than the tried and true and most of the figures i buy i buy from a stylistic approach. i get a lot of crap for buying some of the ashley wood and 3a figures but hey everyone has their own cup of tea

Now that he's finally out.....

Thanks for the review, and nice pics.

Have to agree with the price issue. At least Lola was original. Tyrus would be a multiple buy for me, but the price stops that. I think it's a pretty cool figure, but it's a bit light in the gear dept for me.

And my Kriss is better.

Is that a Triad wetsuit on the fem figure (not sure I even recognize the female sculpt for that matter)? Say what you will about their male stuff, but Triad wetsuits/catsuits can make even an old BBI body look like a million bucks...
    Trade References
    Items for Sale on Ebay - PM me for OSW Member Discount

Hmm. The price point does seem a bit steep for what you get, but I still like the look of it. The one thing I don't like is the vest, maybe it's the grade of material or something.

Jinroh,

Thanks for the picks and review. I hope Triad does more of this kind of stuff and I agree with what you said about the new bodies coming out with the muscular torso and arms.

Yes it could have more gear but I do like the figure it looks really good.
    “What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil”

I like this figure a lot and personally hope I'm able to get one...

The gear looks good on the figure and, though it may be "rehashed," for some fans, that doesn't matter...

Great review and photos - though I'd love to see more images of the armor, weapons and gear.

Thanks!

got my set today, great overall figure, but i felt the gun was a dissappointment. i have Vanity which also came with the Kriss Super V and the quality on that is top notch. Tyrus' gun feels cheap, almost gi joe-ish

Thanks for the Review. I may well get this figure, depends if I can find it considerably cheaper somewhere. I don't have an issue with moulded boots (though from the pics they look veeery similar to the HT ones - potentially recasts?) or gear that's rehashed.

I do have an issue about a price like this on a lightly geared figure that's not licenced either - I had the same issue with the HT ERT figures as well. Saying that it's "good"that a figure costing just as much as a heavily-geared military figure has considerably less gear becaue you can never figure out where to put it all is just a clownshoes argument.

The thing about this figure that really pisses me off though, isn't actually about this figure. As you said, the HS paint looks just like the prototype (as Lola did, and the other Nude Otakus), and Triad have done a great job, IMO. So all of the excuses about the Aplhas' paint being the diffeence between Louie's handpainted protos and the factory paint are shown again to be a load of BS. Factory paint won't be quite as good as the protos, but it can and should be a lot closer than the Alphas are.

Thanks for the review though. Good to see some "real" photos of the figure as it is in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MIFUNE View Post
    got my set today, great overall figure, but i felt the gun was a dissappointment. i have Vanity which also came with the Kriss Super V and the quality on that is top notch. Tyrus' gun feels cheap, almost gi joe-ish
    that is odd. mine is the exact opposite. the vanity guns were really tight and i had to sand some of the edges to make them fit. tyrus' gun is a lot better and i didnt have to do anything to it. vanity was released some time ago too and they only just released tyrus so i figured they would improve the gun and not make it worse. maybe you just had a bad one? anyways, the two i have work just fine and the details seem more crisp than the old vanity guns

Quote Originally Posted by azazel View Post
    The thing about this figure that really pisses me off though, isn't actually about this figure. As you said, the HS paint looks just like the prototype (as Lola did, and the other Nude Otakus), and Triad have done a great job, IMO. So all of the excuses about the Aplhas' paint being the diffeence between Louie's handpainted protos and the factory paint are shown again to be a load of BS. Factory paint won't be quite as good as the protos, but it can and should be a lot closer than the Alphas are.
    yeah i dont get it either. triad's paintwork is top notch and all the figures i have are really nicely painted. even the alphas i got were not as bad as that one photo as you said. and i agree, the otakus and tyrus are top notch. see my photos below of the alphas. i got these at the same time as tyrus and it looks nothing like that nasty picture that was photoshopped

Not to further derail too much, but unfortunately, I see these Alpha heads as closer to the "oh shi-!" meth-head photos than to the excellent protoypes.

The Otakus, Lola, Tyrus look just like the prototype photos.

Thanks for a very detailed review. Jin!

Anyway, the Red Head Alpha is the better of the two Alphas. The blonde Alpha looks like a ghost. If you removed her body from her head when it's dark, it looks frightening! As much as I like Triad Toys, I do have to be honest.

with the quality of figures coming out now,
    maybe TRIAD needs to step it up a bit if they really want to be in the 1:6 game.

Neat to see that they actually eventually do come out with their stuff. Its a shame that they equipment is so incredibly boring. I mean aside from the Head, Weapon, Mask and Shoulder/Upper Arm pads he looks like a VH SWAT Officer, the Vest, Uniform, Kneepads...everything. If you wanna talk creative, make it creative.
    Riot Protection for legs, dark grey uniform or a thought up camo pattern, a matching camo/grey vest with groin protector, maybe cut like a current military vest but with fixed pouches and no MOLLE loops, two leg platforms one with a safarilandstyle holster and one with kydex grenade holders...
    Do i need to go on?
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Thanks very much for the pics and review jinroh75!

I really don't know what is going on with Triad Toys...I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or to tell them to sort out their quality control and customer service..

(actually, I have done both!)

As this thread has demonstrated; e.g. with the Vanity/Tyrus machinegun, some people have received a great quality item, other people received rubbish. Same with the HS paint apps, etc. etc. The quality control seems all over the place...

For what it's worth, I didn't (and still don't) think the Tyrus fig is great Value for Money. I got a hispanic Alpha instead!

I hope I don't sound like a Triad-hater - I possibly have more gear from Triad than any other single manufacturer - and that's probably why I realise that they really need to up their game to survive in this marketplace!

;D
    "To achieve the marvelous, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought" - Tom Robbins

I bought one for the body, so I have just parted the whole set out on eBay (sorry except the figure & headsculpt)

Anyone interested in bidding just search eBay under my OSW name which is the same as my eBay name.

Any chance I could ask for some clear shots of the pistol? It is hard to come by decent shots of it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like an SV Infinity.