Good advice for a beginner collector??

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good advice for a beginner collector??

Good advice for a beginner collector??

Anyone have any advice they can give a beginner to the hobby?

I've been reading as many posts as I could about the hobby but most are about kitbashing which I won't be doing soon.

I've created a list of 1/6th scale manufactuers..

Dragon
    DiD
    Hot Toys
    BBI
    Ignite

Im also getting ready to buy my first figure. I'm actually going to be very selective in what I buy because of display space in my apartment.

As my first purchase I want to buy something grand and I've decided to go with a Hot Toys figure..

If anyone has any advice please feel free to post it.
    Last edited by Rigged4War; 02-21-2005 at 21:47.
    "Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. From 30,000 feet, every single bomb always hits the ground."
    - U.S. Air Force ammunition memo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to the hobby, or as I like to call it, my money sewer!!!

Seriously, though, take your time in deciding which era, genre, country, specialization you'd like to collect. There are plenty out there, even if it sometimes means an E-bay visit to buy something.

This is a good place to come and get ideas (I'm constantly inspired by bashes on this board). So get out there and spend your money!!!!

I've got to second GoKings. Pick an era or this hobby will suck every penny you have. There's too much out there to try and build them all. Just enjoy what you do, I think that is also very good advice. Finally, don't be afraid of what you see here. Bash away, its the only way to get better.
    Only the most nimble, prudent, and clever will emerge unschathed.
    Skip's blog

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you want to start with hot toys, check out the different sets, and when you find one you like, I'm sure some guys here could give you a review. This site has some good oveview shots of a lot of them.

http://www.artoftoy.com/hottoys.html

Have fun,

-Mark

I second Jorg..... RUN!!! Bury the credit cards, debit cards under 3 feet of cement, go to the holy man of your religion and ask for forgiveness and pretend you never saw anything in 1/6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

This hobby can be akin to the movie "THE GRUDGE", once you enter into it's domain, it will never leave you.

I would go with the others advice.. pick a era and stick with it!! If not, you will find it hard to keep up $$ wise, and that is difficult enough.

Have fun.

Heh....Like the gentlemen said....stand by to stand by.

Originally posted by Jørg
    Run.

“I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.”
    -Thomas Paine

www.romad.com

Great advice so far.

If you aren't sure yet what genre or era you'd like to try, maybe drawing from your family history or a person you admire would be a start.

We have an exceptionally talented and fun-loving friend here who grew up on the stories of his Grandad and his service in the 10th Mtn Div in WWII. This member is, without a doubt, the most knowledgeable person I've ever known concerning the 10th Mt. He has made some incredible bashes on the subject as he combines two of his passions.

Go with what you like and what you may have a particular interest in. With new products coming out everyday, you can almost create any figure you want with a little imagination.

And, regarding this; "...kitbashing which I won't be doing soon...."
    There's nothing to fear, just take your time. Barring any cutting/burning/breaking disaster, no bash is ever ruined. You can always start again.

Welcome, and most of all, have fun.

I have never bought hot toys. If i remeber correctly one of their figures came with an incorrectly made shot gun, in every box (barrel and pump action were upside down) I also hear their head gear is too big, All the gear is over sized, and their bendy arms just disentegrate over time. I also dont like the price, i dont feel any figure is worth that with the execption of show exclusives...

I would personally buy something DML/ DID/ Or BBI (DID would be my main choice)

If your interested in modern check out ACE and Toy Soldier stuff, way cooler than Hot toys in my opinion...

Some others to add to your list are 21st (good vehicles and weapons sets if they ever get back around to it. nice cloth WW II unis too) Sideshow Toys, and Armoury/Twisting toyz/RMC (i think they are now officially twisting toyz but not sure, great weapons though, Itialian paratrooper due out soon), plus the aformentioned ACE and Toysoldier
    Last edited by Pvt. Ryan HOH; 02-22-2005 at 03:11.
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow
    I brought payment. *BANG!* Look, an undead monkey! - Jack Sparrow

welcome to the hobby .

my advice would be to focus on one era. since you probably need to be more selective than that because of your small display space, i suggest you focus on a theme/unit, too.

for example; focus on modern figures, and on SEALs, VBSS themed. if you filter through all the manufaturers you come up with about 8 figures (not including threezero).

or focus on modern figures, and the Iraq War.

Pick a focus and try and stick with it.

I am of Navy Back Ground and Army... But My Father and My Uncle are Marines (Once a Marine Always a Marine) My other Uncle was Army and my Grand Father (Mom's Side) Was Navy (Navy Cross Reciptiant) Father's Father Was Army During WWII and My Father's Mother's (Father and Brothers) were in the Imperial Japanese Guard.

So you can see there is a lot of Military Influence in my family. I have already spent countless Dollars on my FOCUS which Are

ARMY Rangers (Modern) and Naval Special Forces (Modern)

Another good piece of advice is NOT TO COUNT HOW MUCH YOU SPEND... Once it's Spent forget about it and ENJOY the Figure, Gear, Diorama Supplies, or what ever it is that you Buy.

There are all sort of good deals in this Hobby Online and at your Local stores.

Best Advice I can give you is Just ENJOY whatever it is that you decide to go into.

Don't Be intimidated by the Bashes you see here. (I know this is easier said than done cause I felt the same when I joined a few weeks ago... But I have learned a lot in this short time... Post your Pics and accept Both Positive and Constructive Critiques and you'll be fine.

I think i'd personally start with Dragon figures first because as a first time collector i was very enthused about my first figure (BBI CHopper) and i kept touching it and altering stuff and i remember i broke a few buckles here and there, dragon figs and equipment are quite durable. After that i would move up in the quality stakes and choose BBI for my second figure and then only then when im use to handling figs id move to HT. I have not yet bought a HT fig so i am not at that stage yet and i am not sure i will because i cannot justify to myself the high costs for such a figure with ill fitting stuff as mentioned above. THey do have some cool stuff though and would come into play when kitbashing your own figs. As for which genre, like everybody said, go with what your into or whatever catches your eye. Most of the posts on here seem to have dragon or BBI figs and gear, because they they look good and are at a reasonable price. If you look at kitbashed photos and like what you see, ask the poster for a breakdown of stuff he was using.
    Dragon have the majority of good realistic looking Head sculpts, bbi have good quality gear albeit a little fragile at times. HT make super cool stuff but most of their stuff has been made just as well by the other manufacturers at a cheaper price, only a few items such as the nomex gloves/cameras/ laptops/benelli shotgun/ sum tac vests etc are unique.

As for kitbashing, i found it quite hard at the start because i didn't have a stockpile of kit to use. Be careful not to get caught into the trap of buying total crap for high prices, surf around the many 1/6 stores and ebay for stuff and go with your gut instincts and rely on your 1/6th brothers here for any questions. Remember the only stupid question, is the one not asked. Happy gathering!

Last edited by Zeke_Stone; 02-22-2005 at 07:41.

Get out before you get started, seriously.

BBI Trident would be a killer first fig, lots of cool stuff, waaaay cheaper than Hot Toys
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Rigged:
    Welcome to the hobby.
    Seriously, as everyone has said pick an era and stay with it. I'm into post WW II though I did buy an Arno fifure from Dragon and I'm pleased.

Kitbashing is very straightfrward: if you substitute say a Dragon rifle for BBI on a DiD figure that's a kitbash. THen you'll progress by mixing and matching stuff from other companies. Before you know it you'll be a of plastic crack addict(tm) trolling this fine site and other for your next fix hahahahah
    Again welcome!
    xavier

Rule 1) Buy more stuff.
    Rule 2) You don't have enough stuff. Ever.
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Hey welcome to the hobby, I've been collecting for 8 years and I have over 40 figures. The advice I will give you is that this is an expensive but fun hobby, Pick the company you want, but also try differnet companies. Good luck!!

My wife claimed this hobby as the number 2 reason she divorced me. The first one was re-enacting WW II.......

Rommel

If you get into this hobby please pay cash or make certain you set a budget and NEVER exceed it. Much like Rommel, this hobby was a major reason for my divorce. I wish like hell that I never picked up the Vietnam tiger-stripped TUS uni sets that I saw at Target way back when. Use self control and do not over extend yourself. It is very easy to drop a few grand before you realize what happened.

Just a bit of fatherly advise from someone who has been there, done that.

-10th Mtn
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Are you guys Serious about divorcing over this?

Welcome to the hobby.......it is really not a hobby though....more like a passion......you can try to run away from it, but it sucks you back in .......hope you enjoy your new adventure
    Do you want to be able to buy the newest 1/6 pieces before they sell out? Find out more by subscribing to my Facebook. Click here and Like BlackOpsToys

It's a drug.... that says all.
    crisibabe's Swiss Invasion

Take the blue pill or the red one...the decision is yours.

NavySF_Blade69 100%!! She turned out to be an evil bitch anyway.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

My advice:
    Pick an era and stick with it. Don't try to go all over the map or you will find yourself spending a ton of cash. As far as figures go, they are all pretty good depending on what you want. If you want modern though, you will probably want to avoid Dragon because they haven't done a modern figure in a while. The modern figures they do are fairly nice but not as nice as some of the other companies. If you want to plunk down some money go with Hot Toys or Toy Soldier. BBI does some pretty nice ones.

If you want to go WWII, you pretty much have Dragon and DID to choose form. DID is doing some pretty nice figures if you like Germans.

Sideshow does some really nice figures form other eras. And so does Ignite.

Definately pick an era and stick with it. Set a budget too.

pick germans -- they have the best uniforms and the coolest vehicles (kubelwagen and motorcycle).
    the germans come in a big variety -- heer, luftwaffe, SS, totenkopfs and more! all with their own distinctive styles and must-have accessories.
    sorry your Queens apt. is so small -- i live in a midtown studio apt. and had to get rid of some of my clothes just to make more room for my guys.
    the most stylish german has to be the DiD scharfuhrer, with his excellent hat and jackboots. and BBi makes some very realistic headsculpt germans these days.
    good luck.
    Whatever doesn't kill me . . . . just makes me angrier.

Budget well. Don't spend money you don't have. Set aside a fixed amount for this one hobby and stick to it.

Build the boxed figure first, then do the add-ons and gear upgrades as you go alonog. As a new guy, it would probably be too much of a hassle to try to build a best-of-breed uber kitbash in one pass. Take your time.

Decide early to keep your collection small but with sweet parts, and you'll have a great time.

Jaded is so overrated. Cynicism is so last year. Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy.

Trade Feedback ]

Like Cris said, it's like a drug - once hooked, you cannot be off it. Distant yourself from 1/6th for a period of more than a week, and I swear, it be like cold turkey.... Oh the horror!

Seriously, my advice? Try to stay focus on a certain genre/era. Oh yeah, have fun at it! That's the most important factor (besides the money of course )!!!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Welcome to a wonderful hobby!
    My suggestions:

-Collect what you like.
    -Don't take the forums too serious.
    -Enjoy the hobby and do not let anyone or anything take the joy and passion out of your hobby.
    -Have fun!
    Eduardo

We have an exceptionally talented and fun-loving friend here who grew up on the stories of his Grandad and his service in the 10th Mtn Div in WWII. This member is, without a doubt, the most knowledgeable person I've ever known concerning the 10th Mt. He has made some incredible bashes on the subject as he combines two of his passions.
    Wow ! Thanks Gravy ! It makes if fun with a specific area of interest like my 10th Mtn stuff. Also makes it cheaper.. lol

Welcome to the hobby and can't wait to see some of your work. There are some great guys who post here and can offer lots of help when it comes to painting, building bases, etc.... I've got tons of help off this very board !
    My name is Mountain Trooper and I approve this message !