Help for a beginner!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Help for a beginner!

Help for a beginner!

Hi,

It's been years since I last bought a 1/6 scale model (think it was a Ultimate Soldier one like 10 years ago) but I wanted to get back into it since now I actually have a real job that can finance the hobby.

However, I'm kind of at a loss. There's like a dozen different brands (Elite Force, Hot Toys, Ace, Toy Soldiers, etc.) and I'm not quite sure where I should begin.

Are all the 1/6 weapons/clothing compatible with other brands? Are some brands better than others? How much should I expect to spend on loose weapons/clothing or should I just buy a boxed one?

Was really hoping to get a nice one for the new apt --would be greatly appreciated if you could give me some pointers.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Help for a beginner!

I suppose you could start with SoldierStory (like i did) .. They produce very good quality products for a decent price...
    SoldierStory:Products

Dont go for hot toys now(unless you got loads of money to burn) ,if you can chance across a cheap hot toys figure(maybe in the forums) , then would you buy it..

It also depends if your into WWII or modern warfare..

I suggest you start out with a box,loose parts build and you so will your bill.. after you got a few figures,you can start buy some loose parts and mix and matching parts... Some 1/6 weapos / clothing are compatible for only some other brands.. some might be too big/small ... How much you will spend on loose parts will definitely be alot,you will be like..Oh crap,the money i spent on loose stuff could buy me a box or two :P Ultimately its up to you,if you can get loose stuff cheap,get it,if its expensive forget it(Wait till its your turn to sell..) Try Ebay ,I go for auctions mostly,HK sellers tend to charge alot though

Hope what i said help!

Most definitely! Thank you very much! I was actually eyeballing Solder Story --their CIA SAD model is badass looking!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

the best help is stay focused on one thing or one type or you will go nutts with keeping up with what comes out so choose wisely

Welcome aboard

I like to look at different sites that sell both boxed and loose parted ( out ) figures. It's a great way to see what the stuff actually looks like, and is also a good way to comparison price shop.

There are many a decent site out there to choose from as well - I think that there mat even be a listing of online shops somewhere on OSW. Anyone else know about that, and can give a point in the right direction?
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

collecting Soldier Story figures is a good way to start...for me IMHO, SS has the best realistic body+proportion, though their heads might be a tad smaller than other companies, but it really is aint such a big a deal...SS also has the best detailed weapons (easily broke if not careful) and their recent release of CIA SAD version 2 is the ultimate badass in my collection now...also SS figures tend to sold out fast..so you better hurry...welcome to the hobby dude..happy collecting!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I actually have some loose pieces left over from when I first bought a few figures when I was like 10...

Any idea where I can sell those? I'll try and take a picture later.

LOL welcome to hell!!

First things first: What genre are you interested in?

2ndly: what is your budget?

the budget thing is esp important. Avoid HT like the plague. One you start on them you won't stop and they're stuff is pretty good so it can be addictive lol

1.) First model I want to be modern military (especially interested in the PMC outfits) --after that I wanted to get a WWII model.
    2.) Probably at max $120.

Soldier Story is the way to go for modern stuff because mostly is modern, Playhouse is going to release a Navy SEAL, that I'm definitely going to get one.
    With that budget you are good to start, Welcome Aboard!
    And one important thing, ENJOY THE HOBBY!
    When there's a will, there's a way!