Unofficial 1/6 Shopping Guide In Hong Kong

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial 1/6 Shopping Guide In Hong Kong

Arrow Unofficial 1/6 Shopping Guide In Hong Kong

Dear all,

More and more members are asking me for shopping guide in Hong Kong, so for those who are planning to come, or will have friends or relatives or colleague coming over to my Birth Place, please feel free to go to my gallery for this quick guide. It contains nine main shops in Hong Kong that is distributing and spare parts selling, all within 10 to 15 minutes walk, all around Mong Kok MTR (Underground, Metro... whatever).

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/phot...r/2606/stype/0

I am afraid you will have to see the pics in reverse order to complete the Tour (sorry!!!)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    These pics are not at all authorized by the owners, and if any of you great shops' owners see this, please forgive me for promoting your shops to overseas 1/6 lovers, I love this hobby, and I love all your shops (eventhough I am never a big spender and like to look around many times for items and prices, I am not very rich), and to promote this industry and Hong Kong's Tourism in General, please forgive for any inconvenience that is caused for this publication. I always enjoy shopping at all your great shops! and I am sure all 1/6 lovers/ visitors will do too.

AMMENDMENTS and NOTES on Main plan:
    1) CTMA Centre should be location D, while C (Sino Plaza) behind CTMA facing Nathan Road is actually a good place for CDs and DVDs, much much cheaper than HMVs, good as new second hand DVDs and CDs man!!! and on the 12th Floor (use the Lift) there is a big shop for that!

2) If any of you members have problems locating these shops while in Hong Kong, please feel free to contact me at 62929705, I can take you there whenever I can!

Hope this would help you guys, I assure you that things are a lot cheaper here, and if you wanna get 1/6 in HK, these nine shops is it, I go to them everyweek, being so lucky in Hong Kong as I am, I am honored to be sharing with you!

And one last dedication, I would like to dedicated this Guide to Pukingdog, man, I don't know you, but you are one hell of a Military Expert and good Administrator, if I ever was in the Army, I would be happy to serve with you anytime!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Calvin:
    Many thanks!
    Here's another assignment for you
    Can you find the manufacturers of the notions like the microzippers, buttons, really thin Velcro and sewing patterns that the major 1/6th manufacturers buy from those suppliers?

Some of us sew our own uniforms but we're often stumped by the lack of really decent sewing patterns and microzippers.
    Thanks again!
    xavier

I have a question, is the 1/6th stuff cheap in HK? Could you give me some kind of price comparison for a few items like hot toys figures, bbi figs, dragon etc in terms of HK dollars compared to USD. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Basx, I'll check it out!

Zeke_Stone, I can dish out the HKD prices for items and figures, for I am not that well acquainted with the prices in the States, will have you the list later!

Calvin, great post! Pukingdog should archive this thread.

I recognize a lot of the shops that I went to last time I was in HK a year ago. There is also a couple of shops that I love near the Soho department store on the HK island side. I think that is called Causeway Bay. They have a 4-5 level shopping plaza in front of a public van stop. This plaza has 4 to 5 1/6th shops. There is also a huge 1/6th store in the same vicinity but away from the plaza. You have to take the elevator and it is on the 8 floor I think.

Sorry, but I don't remember any of the names of the shops. Next time I am back, I will be sure to take lots of pictures.

Duckgoo, I knew I place at Causeway Bay that used to sell a lot of 1/6, it is behind Windsor Palace, behind that HMV and ToyR'US, It is a three stories with a basement, it is called Causeway Bay Plaza, also with alot of Public Van stops in front, but I can tell you, all the 1/6 there is gone, they only see Spawn stuffs or Japanese figures there, and occupied by a lots of Philipinos, coz it is near the Victoria Park.

Sorry if I am not that familar with other spots on the Hong Kong Island, coz I live in Kowloon, and it will cost be double to cross the Harbour....

Sure call me up next time you are around, we could hang and stuffs you know!

I am not sure about an 8th floor shop that sell 1/6 in Causeway Bay...

By the way, I forgot to mention, all these shops only opens after 3pm and up till around 9pm to 11pm. Bear in mind, don't want you to hit the closed doors.

Basx, Hong Lok Toy Store's owner knew the factory of BBI, that is why there stuffs are usually a lot cheaper, say a pair of BBI desert boots are 18HKD, that is like two dollars compare to four dollars elsewhere... anyway, he got misc. stuffs from the factory like buckles and belts and I remember seeing 1/6 zippers there, will ask them next time if they have the buttons and zippers at the factory for sale, if do, I'll let you know.

Zeke_Stone, lets say:
    HT CIA: 500HKD = 64USD
    HT Muscle Guy Delta: 560-590HKD=72.5USD
    HT Navy Seal Vest: 100HKD = 13USD
    HT AAV Armour: 120HKD = 15.5USD

BBI Renegade: 250HKD = 32USD
    BBI 511: 200HKD = 26USD

TS sets(I am not that familar with them, not my budget range, still...): 350 to 450HKD per set = 45 to 58USD

DML figures (I rarely buy DML, I am a big fan of BBI, still...): At their Main Vendor UML, figures are priced between 299 to 345HKD = 38 to 46USD, but usually people go to the nine other shops if they can wait, the situation is, DML always give UML the first wave for the highest price, then to individual smaller shops, which would sell them slightly cheaper.

This week, I bought at TOY's Home the HT Navy Seal's weapons MP5SD for 50HKD = 6.5USD and the MP5wRIS for 70 HKD =10USD, and Renegade's ammo vest for 55HKD = 7USD... The TV crew by BBI, I bought the PDA thing for 25HKD = 3USD, the LapTop for 55HKD = 7USD... the thing is, I really have to go check them out once a week, the prices changes (goes lower) and varies among shops, and the bargain stuffs really depends on my luck, sometimes really have to get it when you see it, otherwise it is regrets, like I felt many times... sure you know what I mean.

Hope these helps give you a picture on the Hong Kong Market, I supposed deducting the shipping, Tax...Mark Ups, we should be slightly cheaper over here.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Calvin:
    Thanks very much. If ever you talk to the store owners hint that zippers and stuff will sell big here in North America.
    Prices are quite reasonable if not competitive.
    Hey OSW admins How 'bout we hold the first annual OSW shop hop in Hong Kong?

xavier

Xavier, sure, I'll let them know and let you know! For all OSW!

Calvin, great info you posted. I also hang out most shops you listed except the one in Sincere. Thanks!

One minor correction: UML location should be at Peace Ave and Waterloo Road (next to the railway).

mgbb, you mean the original first ever UML, the one I marked now is the new one, much bigger, more toys, huge, my cousin went nuts in it! Should check it out man! Opposite Sino, can't miss that.

The one in Sincere, it is a mice little shop, usually you'll see Wing and her little daughter there, nice people, it is her who got me into OSW... by the way, T-Two General Store was there, then moved to Dundee street two months ago, the guy always open late (like 7 and 8) before when he was in Sincere, now is better, he got his friends, relatives or partners running the place, you know the big "funky guy on a boat" display he's got there has won some awards!

By the way, should you see me there anytime, sure say Hi man!

Cal.

Hey Calvin,
    Thanks for taking the time to take pictures of those locations.

Too bad you were not able to take pics in CTMA center. Woulda loved to see Hot Toys and Toy Soldier distributer stores.

My friends arrive in HK the 31st.
    They might call you to ask where to eat good food, drink beer and meet women!
    They will probably forget my request to find toys for me!

Thanks again for your help!

DunkleGelb,

Sure thang man!

I'll try again today with CTMA, coz I think these two are important stores, last time I flashed the DC outdoor first and alerted the securities (for I do look like a terrorist...), big mistake...

By the way, for anybody coming over to Hong Kong for beers and chicks, go to:

Lang Kwak Fong in Central, there is where everybody goes!!!

or Lockhart Road in Wan Chai, that is if you like Philipino and Thai Gals (you know what sort of establishments I am talking about), Sailors hot spots for Sex and Beers.

Thanks Calvin. Great info. Can I ask you a favor? It would be nice if you could list all the shops down with addresses. I think this would help some of the guys (like myself) who will be going.

I'm planning a trip there myself with my fiance next year. Maybe we can catch up.

Hope I'm not asking too much.

Thanks.

Comeon man! It is nothing, the least I could do for another OSW.

Sure thang, how are things at Malaysia?! The tide thing and all, horrible stuffs, Hong Kong here is starting a lot of fund raising and concerts stuffs for the affected areas!

I'll do the address thing today when I go down to the stores, I probablly gonna pull the OSW flag for name cards, cool idea, huh?!

Sure I'll be honored to be you and your fiance, she has problems with your hobby?!

I never had any Malaysian friends, there were quite a lot of them, Muslims, in my University in East London, but I was too drunk and chasing white gals back then to get into their groups... good old days!

Stay tune man!

Cal

I meant meeting you guys, sorry, my typing is too shxty and I am lazy for proof read, sorry!

Everything here is fine. Really bad that the tsunami happened. I personally lost 2 friends of mine. They were in Phuket for a holiday but the rest of the group made it back.

My fiance does not have problems with my hobby. She actually bought me the ACE Devgru, TS ODA and Graham as christmas presents.

Am thinking of going to HK sometime in Aug/Sept timeframe. Will keep you advised.

wow, this is a well clasified guide for figure shopping, I 'll keep a record, tks Calvin.

Great! The wife and I are planning a 4-day trip to HK and I already warned her I might be spending some of my money on 1/6 figures. Here in Korea they are too damn expensive and I am tired of shopping on the internet, I would like to see the products in my hand before I buy them...

Ford, I am sorry for your lost, this is a really sad way to end a year, just hope the next one coming will be the heck a lot better! Look forward to meeting you and your fiance!

Frank, thanks man! Glad you found it useful!

Sanmusa, sure thing man, may I WELCOME you to HK in advance! If you ever needed help, just give me a call!

Thumbs up

Hi Calvin, you just make a great tribute here . How convenience it is now for members here who just have to print out the map you made and shop around. You know what, I'm thinking like I should also print one out myself and keep it in my pocket. So one day if I meet someone at those shop who does't appear to be a local people, then I'll take out the map and show him I'm from OSW as well !!

and Calvin, I'm sure we'd meet before at one of those shops there and btw, I did copy your figure's pix from here and posted to another figure forum without your permission. Hope you don't mind

P.S. let me know when you're ready to go CTMA take pic...I could be the decoy

Ha ha ha, I am glad that you found it useful!
    I think OSW should start printing Patches or member cards so we could have an ID to shop with, like a Mastercard, wherever we go, we'll know who is OSW, friends of ours, the gang.

Yeah?! Where you posted it, may I check it out? I don't really mind, I believe Arts is for everybody, since the original is still with me, I am welcome any OSWs to post them around.

Yeah?! You are in Hong Kong? Chinese? Hong Kongeese?

I can go to CTMA anytime, I live in Mei Foo, half and hour away from Mong Kok.

Great knowing you man!

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but looking at all these shops and all makes me want to visit over there one day, but I was wondering, how prominent is English spoken over there? I know I would get lost in no time beign as I can only speak English, Latin, and just enough German to get myself by.
    (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just something I always wondered)
    If you kill for pleasure your a sadist.
    If you kill for money you are a mercenary.
    If you kill for both, you work for Blackwater.

Calvin , yeah I'm 100% HongKongeese and me and my friends go to those figure shops all the time, in fact many of them are the members here as well. We called those figure shops " The hell of loose-parts" Why? because both Toyshome and Barrack Sgt. both are locate at the basement.....

Hey we live pretty close to each other....well..sort of... I'm in Tsing Yi

That forum...hehe...I'll just pm you the link.. btw, I'll bet you read Chinese right?

Delta, the people here speak Okay English, don't worry, especially the shopkeepers, many visitors shop here man! If you ever run into troubles, call me, I'll come to your rescue with a squad!

MASK, cool!
    Will check that out!

Originally posted by CalvinLo
    Delta, the people here speak Okay English, don't worry, especially the shopkeepers, many visitors shop here man! If you ever run into troubles, call me, I'll come to your rescue with a squad!

MASK, cool!
    Will check that out!
    Delta, or you can always write down what you want...maybe they're not that good in English, speaking or listening, but they can read, I guess sometime it's easier ...

OK then Calvin, see you there...

Either way Delta, we welcome you to Hong Kong in advance!

Originally posted by CalvinLo
    mgbb, you mean the original first ever UML, the one I marked now is the new one, much bigger, more toys, huge, my cousin went nuts in it! Should check it out man! Opposite Sino, can't miss that.

Oh, you are entirely right. I've been away from HK for 3 months and didn't know the big new UML. I was there yesterday and it is bigger than the old shop (and more convinient). I also visited a bunch of 1/6 shops and quickly spent over 100 bucks on tons of accessories and got a HT FAST.

Originally posted by +_MASK_+
    Calvin , yeah I'm 100% HongKongeese and me and my friends go to those figure shops all the time, in fact many of them are the members here as well. We called those figure shops " The hell of loose-parts" Why? because both Toyshome and Barrack Sgt. both are locate at the basement.....

Hey we live pretty close to each other....well..sort of... I'm in Tsing Yi

That forum...hehe...I'll just pm you the link.. btw, I'll bet you read Chinese right?
    Hi guys, I also lived in Tsing-Yi. But now relocated to Tokyo. Back temporary for my home vacation. Good to know you. It is such a good idea to promote HK as a shopping paradise. So many varieties and so cheap here.