One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Some flag tips

997 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rottie 
#1 ·
I've kinda hinted at this in the past, but I thought'd I'd go ahead and make a thread to help give your figures that extra edge.

American soldiers almost always, out of tradition, position the flag on their shoulder stars forward.

Why do American soldiers wear the U.S. flag insignia "backward" on the right shoulder of their utility uniforms, with the canton (the correct name for the rectangle with the stars) on an observer's right? It's a question that soldiers hear frequently as they travel through civilian airports, or talk to members of other services.And it does look "wrong," because U.S. federal code calls for the canton to always be positioned to an observer's left.The soldiers aren't wrong, however, and neither are their tailors, Lt. Col. Stanley Heath, an Army spokesman, explained in a Friday telephone interview.The Army actually has two authorized flag patches, one worn on the left shoulder, with the canton facing left, and another "reverse field" patch worn on the right, with the canton facing right.The two different orientations are mandated because Army regulations call for the flag "to be worn so that to observers, it looks as if the flag is flying against a breeze," Heath said.What does a stiff wind have to do with this custom?In fact, the rule is a nod to the U.S. Army's early history, when wars were fought as a series of carefully choreographed battles - two armies meeting on a field, clashing head-on until one side emerged victorious.In those battles, both mounted cavalry and infantry units would always designate one soldier as "standard bearer," to carry the Colors into the fight.As the standard bearer charged, his rapid forward momentum would cause the flag to stream back.And since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section would stay to the right, while the stripes flew leftward.Only if the American soldiers were running away from the fight would an enemy see the stripes to the right and the canton to the left.And that's why soldiers wear their flag patches "backward" - because retreat in battle, as any soldier will tell you, is not the Army way.

Just thought you guys might be interested :thumb

See less See more
#2 ·
so THAT'S why!
very interesting, and now I can answer a few people who have asked me (...one of the 'benefits' of collecting military action figures is that people think you know stuff about the military ;))
thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.