Help needed regarding Chainmail!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Help needed regarding Chainmail!

Question Help needed regarding Chainmail!

After just seeing e5sargemac’s amazing Edo-period samurai hankyu archer, and the question over the scale of the chainmail, it got me thinking about a Ninja figure I’m working on.

Inspired by PvtMacleod's ‘flabbergasting’ maille suit, I had a go at making some Japanese Hitoye-Gusari Mail (2/4 Grid). This tiny section took me well over a week to make (including learning from scratch) - probably the most irritating and patience-testing thing I have done in 1:6 scale (and that is saying something!). Maybe I was using the wrong technique?

Anyway, after all that work, I’m worried that my chainmail is overscaled!

I would really appreciate feedback on the size etc. of the chainmail. Be as frank and honest as you like!

This is what the maille should look like. (Image from artofchainmail.com)

Thanking you in advance!

;D
    "To achieve the marvelous, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought" - Tom Robbins

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Help needed regarding Chainmail!

Heya, Dark Articulation!

Looks good! Not being to "up" on the use of chainmail in Japan, I would guess that it was worn more for protection against sword cuts or slashes than as a defence against arrows. For that, what you've made looks realistic and believable.

I watched a few tutorials on making full scale maille, with the idea of possibly downsizing the product for upgrades to some of my Ignite crusaders. I watch one that claims to be the quickest method, but still believe it would definately be one of those pop in a DVD, kick back on the couch, and make millions of tiny interlocking rings sort of exercises!

Good luck!

Russ
    Proud son of Rose and Wes
    "Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence." General Jack D. Ripper

looks alright but I don't have any basis to compare it to. Do you have any 1:1 scale pictures?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hallo!

Mail is complicated. Historically, speaking

In Europe, up until the 14th century, mail was typically made with riveted or weelded wrought iron loops with four (4) rings being held by one ring pattern, then alternating rows of solid rings and rivetted rings (looks like zig zag when the light hits it.)

Japanese mail (kusari) is normally, usually, different, and came into very limited use in the 14th century.

The Japanese wove their mail in two styles, so-gusari which was a copy of European 4:1 squares, and hana-gusari or hexagonal 6:1. Their rings were butted, not welded or riveted closed. Some were split like modern key chain rings.

At any rate, Japanese mail was made with much smaller rings than Europeans used, AND a smaller scale such as small sections linking plate armor to drape of vulnerable areas such arm pits. Or was usually attached to leather backers.

Modern repro mail is usually the cheaper butted style to cut down on labor expesnes, but butted mail was also sometimes used for men of lesser wealth.

Mail is ideal for slashes, but no so hot for point of sword stabbings so the rings must be small so as not to allow the blade to penetrate. Arrows tended to be armor piercing anyways except at extreme ranges, and carried bits of mail into the wound.

The mail on the figure is historically too large for Japanese mail.

Norman mail:

Japanese mail:

Kurt

Also not to dampen your spirits, but wouldn't the rattling of the metal links defeat the purpose of a ninja being all stealthy? but looking good none the less.

Thank you very much for all the feedback, guys! Good history lesson, too, Kurt-Heinrich1917!

Yes, my spirits are slightly dampened as I can see my chainmail is too large...

It was such a nightmare to weave that I am not keen to do any more chainmail for a while! I may end up just leaving it as it is, it doesn't look too bad, I guess.

;D
    "To achieve the marvelous, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought" - Tom Robbins