The Second American Revolutionary War - 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion, Summer 2017

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: The Second American Revolutionary War - 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion, Summer 2017

The Second American Revolutionary War - 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion, Summer 2017

SHAGGY'S LAIR PRESENTS

A SHAGGY AND BILLY BIG D SERIES

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. - Thomas Jefferson

Historians have argued that the Battle of Fort Drum was the catalyst point while others contain that it was the Arlington Massacre. Regardless, after the events at Fort Drum America had crossed the event horizon and with the publication of the Second Declaration of Independence had sealed the fact that the future of the United States was going to be decided on the fields of battle. Lines were drawn and as centuries past families found themselves being torn apart as they either sided with the legitimate US Government or with The Council of Patriots. Even the US Military wasn't immune as the service members decided if their oaths of allegiance was to the President of the United States or the Constitution. With the Americans were deciding which side of the coming conflict they would side with, the newly organized Patriot Resistance Army was quick to take to the offense, striking government targets across the nation. However this had unintended consequences as the army lacked a core, senior leadership as group leaders made and executed their plans without authority from the Council. It was because of this that many rebel groups were destroyed by either National Guard units or Active Federal forces during the first summer of the war.

As the summer progressed, the Council slowly began to form a military chain of command by utilizing senior military commanders that had join their cause. Form this Military Council they began to assert their control over the various rebel groups while leaving others that they demean 'where not of sound mine and principles to the founding fathers'. Most of those groups that were left to their own devices were the radical militias, anarchists, and hate groups that saw a potential to spread their influence while using the Patriot Resistance Army as scapegoats for their illusive activities. Orders were issued to all unit commanders to refuse mutual aid and support to these groups and, if necessary and means available, to eliminate them if the unit leaders thought they could endanger their public image of the army.

With attacks diminishing to a trickle as summer ended, the US Government brazenly declared that they had a handle on the upstart rebellion and announced that the worse of the fighting had passed to reassure the public, but mostly the United Nations as the Security Council debated sending a peacekeeping force to the United States. With its permanent seat on the Security Council, the US Ambassador was able to override any resolution that came forward stating 'they could handle a bunch of home grown terrorist groups without international assistance'. Although the resolutions were all vetoed and summer turned to fall, the US Ambassador to the United Nations had unwillingly gave the Council of Patriots ammunition for war on a different front: the battle of Public Relations in the media.

5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion

Virginians have had a long and proud military history dating back to the French Indian War and beyond. The 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion is one out of six of the newly reformed and famed Army of the Shenandoah that was formed in the months preceding the Battle of Fort Drum. Originally part of the fame Stonewall Brigade during the American Civil War, the 5th Virginia consisted of dissents from the northern most counties of Virginia and was folded into the Army of the Shenandoah following pledging allegiance to the Council of Patriots after the second Declaration of Independence was made public.

During the summer, the 5th Virginia was task in securing the southernmost flank during the Battle of Harrisonburg where it lived up to its famous linage of holding fast and refusing to withdraw as they were pressed by elements of the 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team of the 29th Infantry Division. Encircled, the 5th Virginia continue to fight on and managed to breakout towards the end of July and escape into western Virginia.

However by that time the unit was down to 30% strength with the survivors being folded into the equally diminished 1st Virginia Volunteer Battalion soon afterwards. Although the 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion life was short, the Army of the Shenandoah would be a major threat to Washington for the remainder of the war.

This figure represent a member of the 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion during the fighting south of Harrisonburg. He is wearing a mixture of civilian and military attire. His camouflage is simply an old East German Rain Pattern jacket over which he has placed a mixture of various former Soviet and East German equipment that he picked up at various militaria shows when growing up. Keeping with his personality that Soviet gear is better, his weapons are a Pre-ban Polytech Legend AK-47 and a WWII-ear Soviet TT-33 pistol.

BREAKDOWN
    Body - DML NEO Body
    Headscuplt - DML Unknown
    Helmet - DML WWII Soviet
    Jacket - DiD US M41 Pearson Jacket w/ Ink lines to make it East German Rain Pattern
    Shirt - Playhouse PMC Set A
    Jeans - Custom
    Belt - DML Russian Pleather belt
    Boots - DiD Belleview Desert Boots
    Shoulder Bag - DML WWII Russian Gas Mask Bag
    Equipment - DML German Straight Handle E-Tool and carrier, DML German Mess Kit and canteen, NLM German Binoculars case, DML Kabar knife w/ sheath
    Sidearm and holster - 21st Century TT-33 pistol w/ molded holster
    Rifle - DML AK-47 w/ custom made sling

Base - Custom made out of a wooden plague bought at Michael's then stained. Ground effects made utilizing model train terrain powder and plant leaves from Wartime Structures and grass bought at Michael's.

*NOTE* - This figure was done by Billy Big D how after seeing the ones that I was making asked if he could do one.
    Molon Labe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: The Second American Revolutionary War - 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion, Summer

love it
    "Chicks dig the tentacles. That's why I keep 'em where they can see 'em."

Re: The Second American Revolutionary War - 5th Virginia Volunteer Battalion, Summer

Nice work on this fig too.I am really liking the backstories that go along with the figs Pete.Keep 'em coming bro.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent work! looking forward to the next installment.

Pretty neat and original idea.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Nice work Pete. Looking forward to the next installment.

Nice work!

Excellent concept! And not too far fetched at the moment...

Keeps getting better, I have a 5 man team of "Patriots" I put together after reading the book "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles....

"Polytech Legend AK"... I hate this guy, those guns cost like 2k now.

Cool bash, you did a great job blending the gear, it made sense to me even before you explained it. I really like the genre and I considered doing something similar at one point or another.
    I LOVE 1:6 WEAPONS!!! :ar15
    Trade References: https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...gelking47.html

Can't take all the credit on this one. All I did was do the base and the backstory, my good friend Billy Big D kitbashed the figure using stuff out of the spare parts bins and told me what weapons the figure would be using.
    Molon Labe

Cool story and figure, thats a cool looking camo to. Now I wonder what happens to Puerto Rico?

Greetings
    Ricardo
    Why compete if you have alredy won the race?

Love the concept Shaggy!!! I think you may have hit a home run again!

What would you recommend for "references" for this "future"/"alternate history" theme? Mind if others join in?

If so I'd like to come up with a Georgia or Florida "patriot"?

Using Soviet era equipment kind of conflicts with the "patriot" concept BUT use of an AK is very "realistic". I would think future modern day rebels would be in soft caps (cost of helmets being prohibitive and b-ball caps being mo0re available, US military or civilian camo patterns (availability) and surplus US gear (LBE/LBVs are pretty cheap now at gun shows).

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    Love the concept Shaggy!!! I think you may have hit a home run again!

What would you recommend for "references" for this "future"/"alternate history" theme? Mind if others join in?

If so I'd like to come up with a Georgia or Florida "patriot"?

Using Soviet era equipment kind of conflicts with the "patriot" concept BUT use of an AK is very "realistic". I would think future modern day rebels would be in soft caps (cost of helmets being prohibitive and b-ball caps being mo0re available, US military or civilian camo patterns (availability) and surplus US gear (LBE/LBVs are pretty cheap now at gun shows).
    Sure thing Rod. I guess if anyone here wants to do up a figure for their state and post it be my guess.

References for this "future"/"alternate history" theme I would say is best allow your imagination to run freely. A big portion of references when doing up my figures was the history surrounding the first Continental Army as well as the first years of the American Civil War which had a wide range of different uniforms utilized by units until a set, standard uniform was regulated to the soldiers. I would say the average Patroit would've have the high tech gear or stashed militaria of previous conflicts unless he was a collector or found his father or grandfather's war chest in the attic and pulled some stuff out.

For weapons, I'm keeping it realistic as possible. AK are widely available and cheap so that would be common weapon seen as well as the various M4/16 civie copies with maybe an optic or tac light attached (again the average civilian-own M4/16 isn't covered in buttstock to front sight post with attachments as say the military ones are). Other weapons would be Century Arms clones of the HK91/93s and G3s, same along with the FN FALs, plently of clones of that rifle can be found on the market as well as clones of the Steyr Aug. Bolt action rifles and Remington/Mossburg shotguns are another readily available weapon that would be found commonly. Just think of a Gun Show you've gone too, remember all the weapons for sale, and pick from those. I would stay away from the exotic weapons ex. G36s, L85s, MK16s, any Machine Gun unless you want to show that they picked up a dropped weapon on the battlefield to use.

Uniforms, again think of what the common average person could get their hands on or had access too (small example from a local gun shop that also sold militay clothing had Woodland, DCU, ACU, British Woodland DPM, German Flecktarn, Romanian Woodland, and Swiss Alpine). Helmets and body armor are the same way. How many civilians do you know have a Eagle Industries CIRAS with soft panels and plates stashed away or a ACH/MICH Helmet? Old school helmets such as the M1 and even the PASGT Kevlar are easy to come by these days and are cheap (can get a Nam M1 for $30 and a PASGT for $50; compare to a ACH of $400). Bodyarmor, if you want to use some second chance vest or again the PASGT Vest. Could even use a 1st GEN Woodland IBA since by then the military is probably using something more advance then the current issued vest. Ballcaps, do rags, patrol caps, all that is fine as well. Heck if you want to toss on a Football helmet be my guess.

But above all else remember one thing: Have fun but keep it realistic. A majority of the completed figures I've done are wearing jeans with a odd mix and match of military and civilian clothing and equipment.

As for those wondering which states my first five figures represent:
    1.) New York
    2.) Virginia
    3.) Colorado
    4.) Texas
    5.) ?????? Still going back and forth on Delaware, Maryland, Conn, or Rhode Island.

Will I do all 50 states? No, the series is only plan for ten figures at the moment so I can't possibly cover everything. So if you want to do a figure for your state/territory/provindence then as stated above. All I ask if you plan on running a story with the figure to let me proof read it first unless the story is about a unit during the establish events so far published.
    Molon Labe

Thats great, I hope everyone will contribute to this thread now, I will see if I can make a Boricua, hopefully other members will contribute. If I make a story I will pm it to you.

Greetings
    Ricardo
    Why compete if you have alredy won the race?