One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Questions from a beginner...

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  shovelchop81 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to 1/6th figures...

I just received my first box set and I'm wondering,

1. do you guys trim excess straps from gear/belts/vests?

2. what's the best way to repair broken pieces? Crazy glue?

3. What's the best way to put a figure together? Equipment, tools, extra set of hands, clamps, magnifying glass?

4. any additional tips?

#2 ·
first off welcome. i'm pretty new here to but this is one awsome community very very nice ppl. 1. the straps you can cutt them off or if you can tuck them in somewhere.
2. i use glue on my broken pieces. but i think some other ppl here will say something differnt
3. tweezers really. and patiences.... what you can use and i use one is a soldering stand. its got two little alligator clamps and a magnifying glass on it to. you can get if from radio shack.
4. have fun and enjoy yourself.

#3 ·
Welcome,

Well, I'm still new to hobby and some great advice I got was,

to get a head off the body, or shoes, run a hairdryer on high and hot over the piece and let it get really soft and then it comes off without any probelm. Just slighty bend the head off slowly, do not pull on it. That helped me out big time.

For shoes or boots that are two small for the foot, I cut a small slit on the back of the shoe and the foot went in and the clothes will cover up the back to hid it.

I bought this clay called sculpty 3 at a hobby store (Michaels craft store) and for $1.00, and this stuff is the best. I'm not a sculpter at all, but this stuff is easy to work with, when you are done run a hairdryer to heat it for 5 minutes, then it becomes hard, then I used water acrylic paint on the clay and it dry quick and went on very well.

Other stuff I'm using now is an exacto knife, and just pain stuff from around the house...and a lot of EBAY...

So far, the one buyer I got a lot of good and cheap stuff from is the Ebay seller minibarbie921

It's from Hong Kong, but good stuff...

So far the best thing I used was this site, all the people are great and very helpful. Just ask and they will tell you what you want, and so great ideas also. Just read thread that you like and you can pick up great ideas.

Hope some of this helps...:welcome

#4 ·
I would agree..some great questions...and good points. I usually cut the excess strap's..also it helps that alot people post pic's of their bash's...so make sure you pay attention to the detail. Tool's....that's one question that alway's stayed with me. I use a small pen knife and a tweezer but other than that...my fingers are my tools. Also to fit the feet into the boots..I use a hair dryer to soften the rubber ...that helps tremendously. Okay hope the tips help..let see what others say.

Regards and welcome to our awesome hobby.

Echo 7

PS: you may want to buy Spec figures 4 ..lots of diagrams and tips there to help in bashing.

#5 ·
The straps are made of nylon. When you cut them it is a good idea to take a match and hold it far enough away from the strap to ever so slightly melt the nylon end so that it won't fray on you later. But be careful, do not hold the match so close or for so long that the belt goes up in flames! That is bad.

A nice manicure set has almost all the tools you need. Tweezers, small "nose hair" scissors for clipping of stray threads and belts, cuticle wedge-y thing for tucking in boots...But don't get cheap ones with dull scissors...

The jewelry section of craft stores like Michaels also has a lot of cool small tools...I don't know where I got it from, but I have a pair of medical tweezers that has a small tip 1/16" wide. It is awsome for grabbing belts, threading MOLLE straps, etc.

#7 ·
take your time building your figures have patients if your tired and half way done set it aside for a next day dont jump around when building a figures all ways finish what you started if your bashing a figure and dont have the parts for it set it aside for when you do you will start working on it for when you do buy some needle nose pliers glue scissors baggies and this is for the mean time as you work and get more advance at it good luck remember a hobby is for your enjoyment and to have funn and to get away from life dont go with the flow of people on buying just because its hot buy it because you your self like it now go on and have fun welcome to osw

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses...

so far in my figure tool kit i have...

Xacto knife,
Precision scissors
Credit card sized magnifying lens with LED
LED clip light
tweezers
Black electrical tape
Super glue
Lighter

I have a hairdryer as well.

Hopefully I can heat the Very Hot boots to get them on my HT TruType african american figure i bought. I bought molded gloves on ebay cuz there's no way i think i can get the mechanix gloves in the set to slip on.

I will try and repair some of the issues and hopefully post pix of my first firgure!

#10 ·
Don't forget a needle and various thread. I am constantly sewing bits and pieces, e.g., chin straps and weapon slings that pop a factory stitch here and there.

Also, pick up "Liquid Stitch" clear drying fabric adhesive (Walmart, Craft Store). This stuff is great for gluing fabric together. This is great for custom patches.

Some people glue their pouches to their vests (in lieu of threading MOLLE straps). I'm not comfortable with such a permanent approach. I'd rather take the time to thread the straps through MOLLE webbing and then put small stitch or two hidden out of the way to prevent straps from coming loose. I suppose you could carefully sew pouches on without using the Molle straps.

What I wish I could get a hold of is 1:6 velcro in black and ACU green!

P.S. some have mentioned unstitching a seam of cloth gloves for easier fitting over hands, and then gluing or restitching once the gloves are on hand. Others say just look for gloves made by companies that actually fit on bendy hands, like Hot Toys and Soldier Story.

#11 ·
Wow, someone take away my credit card!!!!

I've put in orders for

TTL's CIA quick response
SS's CIA SAD 2.0
HT's Night OPS halo seal team 2
HT's f18 pilot (this one was expensive)
Sideshow Gen. Jackson (Civil war)
and 2 loose bodies for my additional CW costume from BGT and a VHT PCU VBSS SEAL kit.

Plus 200 bucks in loose gear.

AND I havent even FINISHED MY 1st figure! OUCH.

#15 ·
If I may make one point, I would suggest that instead of a hair dryer, heat a bowl of water and hold the head/boot in it for a minute. This will do the same thing as using the hair dryer, and minimize the chance of accidentally melting the part.

BTW, welcome aboard!

#17 ·
I agree 100% with this, I never use a hair dyer. As for tools, I use a jeweler's screwdriver to "tease" straps through tricky buckles etc...:goodluck

#16 ·
Forgive me if I repeat suggestions, but I'm too lazy to read every post. For straps, I recommend you don't cut them too short, I've made that mistake a few times, so when you cut them make sure you leave room for slack and tuck the rest in.

On glue I use two kinds for connecting two broken pieces, I use Crazy Glue GEL and Loc-Tite GEL both are equally effective, and the Loc-Tite is cheaper, from experience I actually like the Loc-Tite a lot better and it can be found at Wal-Mart in Arts & Crafts and I believe hardware.

Now one of the odd things I also do, is after gluing two pieces together especially if I'm not worried about a glossy look because I'm going to paint over something anyways, is I'll take the brush on crazy glue, I believe they also make a brush on Loc-Tite...but anyways I'll use the brush on crazy glue that comes with the purple lid and go over what I glued that way it fills in any potential cracks and creates a seal around the outside as well.

That's just what I do that I have found works for me and there's tons of great tips out there. Welcome to the hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.