Lee Enfield sniper rifle

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Lee Enfield sniper rifle

Lee Enfield sniper rifle

Hiya guys.....I showed this in the chat last night and everyone seemed to like it so I thought I would show it here too.
    I sent an email to the guy at Eklyps a few months ago about buying the Lee Enfield sniper rifle on his site and he never got back to me....so I decided to scratchbuild a scope and cheek piece and add it to DML's Liam's Lee Enfield and I didn't like the dark brown colour of the rifle as all the Lee Enfields I've had were a brownish/orangey/yellowish colour....so I repainted the whole thing.
    It's not quite finished yet...I need to buy some paint to depict the brass knobs with paint worn off the edges...and I appolagize for the pic quality....I tried taking 2 close ups of either side but they were too blurry to show.

http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=6542.jpg

http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=653c.jpg

Let me know what you think.
    What would that look like if I was 12" tall?

Grant

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great modification work Dioman !
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    •Winston Churchill•
    OSW Gallery
    BLOG

Looks great and just what I need for an upcoming Brit WWII sniper dio. I was thinking about Eklyps, but may do what you've done and bash my own.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How soon are you going to start distributing these, dio? I need at least five.

Seriously, the best job I've seen on a great old sniper rifle.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Hey thanks guys....I really appreciate the feedback as I am new to this world of 1/6th and still feeling my way around.
    If you're interested in doing this...I used different sized rod and tube that fit into each other.....square tube that I filed open on one side until the scope went through...some strip for the different flat pieces....and rod cut for the different discs needed to detail it up.
    The cheek piece was from the stock of an old DML German rifle that was broken.....so i cut it down and whittled and sanded it to shape....believe it or not...this was the hardest part of the whole conversion...and if I was to do it again...I would look for some other way to build it up as the plastic used in the DML rifles is really hard to cut and shape.
    I hope this helps you out.

Grant

That's a sweet looking modification Dioman. Very nicely painted as well, subtle and lifelike. How did you paint the wood grain? Oils or acrylics? Love to see some more shots.
    Dan

Hiya Dan and thanks for the compliment.....the wood parts are painted with oils over acrylics...Tamiya Desert Yellow.....then W&N Burnt Sienna applied and allowed to sit for about 10 minutes...then using a wide fairly stiff brush that is clean and dry you pull the oils off in the direction of the grain....I keep a napkin close by and do a dry brushing motion on it once in a while to keep the brush as clean as possible....if you don't do this you'll just spread the paint around when what you want is to remove it.
    Then I let this dry for a few hours and went in with W&N Burnt Umber and put this where I thought dirt might build up and around all details....let it sit for about 10 minutes and then blend it in with a stippling motion.
    As for some more pics....my camera seems to not be good for close ups and has even kinda given up on any shots at the moment.....I think it's time to take it back and find out what's wrong with it......and just as I'm finishing my sniper!!!
    Last edited by dioman; 04-20-2004 at 03:01.

Grant

Grant,

Rifle looks great and thanks for the wood repaint tips.

david

I hope it helps...it's great doing it in this scale....so much more detail then in 1/16th or 1/35th

Grant