Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952

Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952

Hi guys,

Here's my Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, he's a Sergeant, 2e BEP, Ba Vi, Vietnam 1952. The BEP or Battalion Etranger de Parachutiste was the airborne/parachute arm of the FFL.

The helmet has customised paratrooper strappings and leather chin-cup, I did this in 1999 and updated it with a light drab olive wash on the straps, foilage band and a customised field dressing attached to the side of the helmet.

The trousers are of the British 1942 windproof camouflage suit, used by the BEPs in Indochina. Based on a photograph of an actual pair of trousers, it is generously cut and the waist, tightened by a draw-tape. The camo patterns were handpainted.

Ran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-fflindochinec-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oooh.... I noticed I was conferred "Zen figure master!" I hope the other customisers won't mind, because to me they are Masters in their own right. But thanks, OSW Board of Directors.

here's the second pix...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-fflindochined-jpg  

The pants are very voluminous and have no opening fly....

Here's the third pix...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-fflindochinea-jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Last pix!

Ran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-fflindochineb-jpg  

good stuff, lucifer makes a good french man.

Wow! nice work man! Master Ran. I didn't knew you're in post- war stuff also. How come I did not see this figure in your studio?

Thumbs up The famous voluminous Denison cargo pantalons

The trousers are of the British 1942 windproof camouflage suit, used by the BEPs in Indochina. Based on a photograph of an actual pair of trousers, it is generously cut and the waist, tightened by a draw-tape. The camo patterns were handpainted

::::thud::::

And in 1999 to boot?!? Thou truly art a Zen Meister, Ran! I worship you! I just can't imagine doing that pattern by hand!

I am humbled

I gots to tell youse & everyone else here at OSW, OSW is attracting many of the greats I look up to including yourself, USMCRon, USMCWayne, etc etc. There's one person left to draw into here --- Kaz!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Join me, Luke. Join the Dark Side! - Darth Daddy
    Nooooooooooooo - Darth Jr.
    Last edited by romedome; 02-20-2004 at 03:28.

Great great fig.
    The pants are brilliant!

Just a suggestion (don't take it bad please )
    For the weapon, the Thompson gun was used at the begining of the conflict (1945 to 1948). I don't know why, but they did not used this gun until the end.
    The MAT 49 appears in the begining of the 50's.
    You can give your legionnaire US M1 carbine (full stock or para version it's not important). Every one in the French army used this weapon. Strangely i have read on many books that the carbine suffer from a lack of punch. Can someone explain that?
    How could it be so popular if it was not that a killer machine?

Thanks guys,

Pad, thanks for the weapon suggestion, yes you are right, the Thompson was used at the beginning of the conflict and by 1950s quantities of the folding-stock M1A1 carbine were becoming available - the carbines were initially issued to junior leaders, though by 1953, they had spread through the ranks.

The reason the carbines were popular was because of its plentiful supply but it had the disadvange of not delivering the "shocking" punch. So that meant shooting and hitting the enemy and yet still seeing him getting up and charging at you.

This grizzly sergeant, prefers the Thompson for its hard-hitting impact but will exchange it for the MAT 49 when I eventually get my hand on one! LOL

Ran

I like the pants! Cool figure!

Hi Romedome,

The helmet's customized/modified in 1999, but the trousers of the British 1942 windproof camouflage suit was customized a couple of days ago... wait a minute, hey... that spans a period of 5 years.

CrackTroop, you didn't see this figure in my studio because it just wasn't there until yesterday!

Here's the Sergeant trying out the M1A1 carbine at the range. Note he's still lugging his favorite Thompson.

Ran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-fflindochinag-jpg  

Just beautiful Ran! His got that rugged and rough look to him that his been through HELL! Not a big fan of defeated war by the Legion , but this is truly worth appreciating and praising! Just Outstanding .

Philip

Great new pic ransomechua
    "Tout ce qui n'existe pas fais-le! If it doesn't exist, make it ! "
    Member of Toccoaconcept
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tocco...t/126896266993

Thumbs up Thanx for the bonus pix, Ransome!

Attached are the other French Indochina SMG's to consider, at least 21C makes the MAT.49. I had to humbly homebash the MAS38 (reference thread: https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...threadid=19106) since I can't afford to bid on the expensive Hasbro classic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indochina French Foreign Legion Paratrooper, 1952-indochinasmgs-jpg  

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed the pixs.

Rome... thanks for the update on Indochina French weapons. I applaud you for your courage to scratchbuild that MAS38. Now I have to go look for a 21C MAT-49. But gentlemen, you know what this will eventually lead to... looking and then getting a MAT-49 will then bring up the next question... what figure to go with it ... for the sake of doing something a bit different, possibly a FFL para circa 1954 in the 48/51 airborne camo fatigues or a soldat of an honour guard, circa 1951.

And I though I'll take a break from the French Foreign legion!

Ran

Yes, yes, yes. Join the Dark Side. Lizard camo stuff, especially if you home make it -- I luvvit!

Okay Rome, let's just see what comes up.

Ran

Emperor Romedome will finish your formation my son Ransomechua.
    Now you will understand the power of the Dark side of the Indochina bash.
    "Tout ce qui n'existe pas fais-le! If it doesn't exist, make it ! "
    Member of Toccoaconcept
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tocco...t/126896266993

Great work, Ran What type of paint did you use to paint the camouflage pattern?

Royohboy - Thanks, I used acrylic paint - it should preferably have been fabric acrylic paint but I ran out on those. Basically used 3 colours, a rust-brown, a mid-green mixed with some tan to get that warm green; these were painted onto a tan-coloured fabric. After stitching everything together, I dunked the outfit into a soup of olive-green and brown dye. That's all. The dye-dunk was fun.

For those who fancy painting camo patterns on fabric, I would recommend using FABRIC acrylic paints, as ordinary acrylic paint has a bad habit of leaving edge-stains on fabric when dried. This is very obvious when painting with diluted acrylics, so get prepared to use up lots of paint!

Ran

Exclamation

Pierre... Indochina bash? Hehehe

I have always been interested in the French Foreign Legion, I go where the Legion goes!

Ran

Thanks for the info on paints, Ran I need to make two complete camouflaged windproof suits for a project, and the big stumbling block so far has been the camo fabric. I've been thinking about painting it rather than printing, as I'd love to machine-wash the unis once sewn for a more realistic look. Your trousers are by far the best attempt at this camo scheme I've seen I think I found the right weight nd texture of fabric; but I was unsure about what paints to use.

Beautiful job on those trousers, sewed and painted eh? Damn they look good, Master Ran. We are not worthy.
    Chiseled face works well on this guy. He looks weary and wirey but still hangin in there.
    Thanks for the weapons info Rome. I remember the customized MAS38 you did. Nice work.

No problem Royohboy, just don't forget to use acrylic paints made for painting on fabric. Try to copy an exact patch of pattern from the references you have and repeat it carefully... well, just imagine it's handcrafted "silk-screening!" but you can generally get away with it if the uniform is sewn up of many parts or is made up of various components. This breaks up the camo pattern.

Good luck!

Ron... "weary and wirey but still hanging in there".... I actually wanted to have him represent a Legion para at Dien Bien Phu, I think that haggard look's most suitable but then that would have meant his outlook would have been kind of terminal. Thanks.

Ran