new item for attaching bits on figures and uniforms

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: new item for attaching bits on figures and uniforms

new item for attaching bits on figures and uniforms

Hello again,
    Here is another great new product we picked up at the I hobby show in Chicago last month. When I first saw this item I though it would be great for holding things like hats on figures. I know alot of people use poster tac for holding accessories on figures, but I never liked the fact that poster tac has color in it and may stain a figure or uniform.
    We're calling this product cleartac. The supplier we met did a little demo with this stuff by sticking it to a zip lock bag and attacking a finger nail file to it.
    He then pulled the file off the baggie and rolled this material right off the clear plastic. I expected the baggie to stretch or rip, but it did'nt do either of those things.
    On our way home from the show I called a good friend of mine to tell him about a few of the things we found at the show. When I told Christian (Cree82) about this stuff he asked if I thought it would hold patches on uniforms. A light went on in my head. I have been working on some custom name tags for my figures and this stuff would do the trick of holding the tags in place.
    So here is a little tutorial to show you one great use for this product.

The sample the supplier gave us was a small 1x1 square. But that should be enough to do most of the stuff you would want to do with a whole squad of figures. I took a Soldier Story FCS multicam uniform from stock and thought I'd play with hooking the patches on it. I found out Christian was right when he told me he had been having problems with patches falling off SS uniforms. The patch came right off the velcro when I pulled it out of the ziplock bag.
    Not a problem, Cleartac will easily replace the velcro.
    Here is a pic of the uniform, patch and cleartac.

First I marked and cut a piece of the cleartac about the same size as the patch.

The cleartac is held between two pieces of wax paper. Simply peel one piece of the paper off the cleartac and press it down on the uniform. If I was doing this with a uniform I planned on keeping I would take the piece of velcro off the uniform with a thread puller and add the patch to the pocket. The cleartac will attach to the velcro, but it's a little tuff to roll out of it when you want to take it off. I also wanted to show that the cleartac will not stain the uniform. So it won't stain a figure either.

Next peel the other piece of wax paper off the cleartac.

As you can see the cleartac can hardly be seen on the uniform. Try to make sure you get the cleartac in the right spot the first time. Once it's in place you really can't move it without rolling it up in a ball. It's a one use item.
    Next press the patch on to the cleartac and it won't be falling off anytime soon.

When you want to remove the item from the uniform or figure, just pull it off. As you can see the cleartac did not leave a mark on the uniform. In this case it stuck to the back of the patch.

Then finally just roll the cleartac up in a ball and it comes off the patch with no problems.

I can see a lot of uses in our hobby for this material. Everything from patches, hats, masks or for holding small items like throwing stars.

I hope this information is helpful.
    Thank you for looking,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: new item for attaching bits on figures and uniforms

Great material! Thanks for sharing!

great stuff Paul, I'm actually sitting here putting patches on uniforms wishing I had this stuff....thanks for sharing.
    My Trade References

Honor the Fallen...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Give us about a month and we'll have cleartac available for customizing and kitbashing. The supplier that produces this material also makes some very nice sanding files and sponges.
    We'll be adding a line of their products in the near future.

Paul

great! sounds like this will come in handy

Awesome! Is this kind of like the stuff that comes on magazines, or fliers? The sticky stuff that holds some pages together, I mean.

very cool stuff!!!!

Interesting....

Can you get any 1:6 velcro (loop and pile parts) in various colors from anybody? Good Stuff to Go hasn't had it for a while...
    Trade References
    Items for Sale on Ebay - PM me for OSW Member Discount

this stuff has been out for years now, I thought everyone used it...

J/K good find Paul.

Interesting but Cleartac isn't a catchy enough name. Now "Snot" on the other hand

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz II View Post
    Interesting but Cleartac isn't a catchy enough name. Now "Snot" on the other hand

Pretty sweet material indeed.

Wow looks great and sounds great. I might get some.

Awesome !

I wonder if you could slap this stuff on a face and use it to apply "real" hair for a beard. Glue works, but sure is messy. It would be nice to have other options...

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates187 View Post
    Awesome! Is this kind of like the stuff that comes on magazines, or fliers? The sticky stuff that holds some pages together, I mean.
    I had the same thought. That usually leaves a stain on the magazine cover and the envelope of my Xbox mag.

I would like to see a sample left on some fabric for a few weeks and then removed to see if it stains and/or is harder to remove.
    Hail Caeser! Those of us about to bash salute you.
    Sale page:https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-le-added.html

Any word on this. This stuff looks awesome.

looks great, keep us posted to when you have it! I have also just been applying some patches wishing I had something more adhesive!

I haven't heard anything back from the supplier as of yet. But when I do I will post a notice.
    Paul

Good job running down new ideas Paul... look forward to checking out the new line of tools on the site
    CUSTOM INDIANA JONES BELTS & HOLSTERS http://web.mac.com/fishlippi/Site/1_...GEAR_SETS.html

I discovered this stuff called toupee tapes years ago. I comes in a roll and since it is designed to stick a toupee to a scalp, it holds really well and leaves no residue. There's a new one I haven't tried called Supertape. I also use it to hold clothes in place etc.
    http://onesixthmahseer.blogspot.com/
    "There is almost no limit in 1/6th : be creative, and don't feel shackled by what you can buy, only by what you can make." - Tony Barton

Paul sent me a sample of this stuff with my last order and it works great. I used to attach some micro-velcro on a helmet. It worked like a charm. No glue to come through and mess up the other side.