The Truth about the Hasbro HMMWV (Review)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: The Truth about the Hasbro HMMWV (Review)

Exclamation The Truth about the Hasbro HMMWV (Review)

Okay, so you wanna buy a Hummer but you're not sure if you should, right?

Here's the deal.

Scale: This was probably the most important factor in deciding as to whether I was going to buy one of these babies. The good news is that it's as close to 1/6th scale as we're going to get.

The vehicle itself rides a little low, that can be remedied, but not witthout some work...

If you look at the picture, Cody fits nicely, and would have room for a helmet as well.

Detail: There is a decided lack of detail to the Hasbro Hummer. It has a nice overall "look", but the fine detailing will have to be added by the end user.

Shell: The body of the Hummer is a "Olive Drab" ABS Plastic. The good news is that it will probably accept paint fairly easily and may not even require sanding. We'll see.

Features: The doors open and close, and are removeable.

The Tailgate also opens as does the Hood compartment revealing a semi-detailed engine.

The wheels, are a soft, glossy plastic that will need "scoring" in order to accept paint. The wheels are independent and spin freely. The front wheels can be moved to allow the vehilce to "steer".

Turret: The Turret is designed to accomodate a Mk19 Automatic Grenade Launcher. The Hasbro one that is provided is probably best discarded in favor of a 21C version. The turret itself does not move, and despite Sawgunner's valiant attempts to convince me to "cut it up" I've resigned myself to the fact that my Marines will not have a working turret. C'est la vie.

With all it's faults...it's an excellent platform for customization. If you plan to keep it "stock" you probably won't be happy with it...having kick ass figures in a second rate vehicle usually won't fly...

Still at $69.99 with Target's 10% off coupon ( TC2SAVE4BABY) and Free shipping to the lower 48, now is the chance to get yourself a genuine 1/6th scale HMMWV. There maybe no others. Ever.

Carpe Diem.
    Maintiens le Droits

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For what it is worth, I took mine apart and painted the tires as per Sawgunners instructions with great results. I then removed the rollcage and doors, disassembled the whole vehicle and painted it using two cans of Model Master FS 30479 Dark Green (as close a spray color as I could get to Forest Green). I think it came out great, so far so good. I am going to add some of John's Stuff decals to it and then start the weathering process.
    I would post some photos if I could. I will try and get some posted as soon as I can figure out how to.

I just KNOW someone out there is putting together one seriously badass custom job as we all speak. They're taking their time, putting on all the insane detail using styrene, aluminum, modeling putty, anything else I cant imagine that you can use for customizing materials. We've only seen a morsel of whats to come from Sawgunner, so Im just ready to fall out of my chair the first time I see a Taskforce 20 crew loaded up in a dusty, beatup, custom Hasbro Hummer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Truth about the Hasbro HMMWV (Review)-aac-jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Money,

You are so right. In a few weeks we'll see some awesome mods.

There is so much talent on the OSW and so many people have wanted a HUMVEE for so long...

I am going to have mine ready...soon. By Thanksgiving I hope...

Stay tuned.
    Maintiens le Droits

Sawgunner is offline I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
    Thanksgiving!!!! Man, I hope mine is even ready to put back together by then!!! The Turret in Theory looked easy to modify. After much trial and error, I finally got the rings right. Now I have to assemble them. The .50......now that's another nightmare all on it's own. I had no clue on how to rig the ammo box to the pedastal...........so I did the best I could with what I had!!(Accuracy NAZI's are gonna carve me a new one!!). But , since I'm going for COOl, they won't really bother me. I should have some pics, later tonight!!!

Must see latest pics.........................................
    Must see......
    Sawgunner, tell those Elitists that they can do it their OWN way if they don't like what or how you did it!
    I look forward to the pics and the how to's.

Mutt, I'll post pics as I go. Thing is in pieces right now. I actually might have to buy another one to figure our how to put it back together again!
    Maintiens le Droits

To be honest, I have a TON of extra screws leftover from the re assembly of mine! It seems to be pretty solid though, even without all the screws that were in/on it.

Sawgunner is offline I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
    You guys are funny!!! Look hon, it's all put together!!! And!!! I have a whole bunch of spare parts!!!!

Not ready yet for updated pics.......I broke the ammo mount.....but on the bright side THE TURRET NOW TURNS 360 degress!!

HELL!!! Oh wait, its just Arizona in the summer
    That reminds me of the Tim Allen Men are Pigs stand up.

"Whenever I get done putting things together, I always have a little bag of real important looking .... left. Go ahead a light BBQ, hon. WHOOSH! Oh, this thing must be the fuel regulator valve!"
    Last edited by Unforgiven5150; 11-12-2003 at 22:22.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”