Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations

Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations

I'm a complete noob (and been member for a little while here on OSW) to the 1/6 scene and loving it. I'm not into collecting but my passion is to remake the costumes. Create something new from them.

My interest is strictly into cold war Soviet soldiers and especially the interior ministry troops. I probobly lack the skill most of you have but later on i post some of my kitbashes and creations.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Hello all

Welcome aboard, RPG-7!

Good to see someone that's into the Cold War "Ruskies"! Member Krechet is probably our resident expert here, but there are many talents here.

Glad to have you here and will look forward to seeing some of your contributions!

Russ
    Proud son of Rose and Wes
    "Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence." General Jack D. Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by russcal View Post
    Welcome aboard, RPG-7!

Good to see someone that's into the Cold War "Ruskies"! Member Krechet is probably our resident expert here, but there are many talents here.

Glad to have you here and will look forward to seeing some of your contributions!

Russ
    Proud son of Rose and Wes
    Thanks, sadly almost all i have to work with are 21c costumes, but they are good enough for me.

Being a noob on the 1/6 scene i have still a lot to learn of the different brands. But it's a great fun doing it. I post some "prototypes" later, but all i have is a crappy mobile phone.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Since my presentation was moved the main discussion era i guess i post some of my figures (sorry for the mobile phone quality, i repost them later when i feel they are fully finished with more interesting poses and a real camera that time)

First out is unfinished soldier in full battle dress from the Dzerzhinsky Division that was the final defence of the communist party in case of an army mutiny. Actually my very first figure in this hobby. Notice the interior ministry patch. The pocket on combat vest where the beret is to be used when in combat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00089-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00088-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00087-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00085-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00084-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-dsc00090-jpg  

Last edited by RPG-7; 09-27-2009 at 04:11.

That's nice! Soviet troops have always made me curious. I like a lot of eastern bloc weapons and gear too.

Your stuff looks great, especially w/the 21st Century gear. Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

Here is my most recent Soviet figure, a VDV paratrooper with two piece KLMK suit. I used a lot of accessories from different labels on this one as you can see. It was supposed to be a charge picture but the figure dropped like three times while shooting so now he look mostly angry, and the knife got bent without me noticing it. But still a "prototype" patches and stuff will be added over time. And maybe i do some weathering to.

Zebraten: Without 21c i wouldn't even be into these scale figures. I don't live in US and never encountered them before the net. And i had to choose either to collect Soviet 1:1 military or Soviet 1/6 figures. I owe them a lot because i find this hobby so fun and creative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-vdvcharge-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-vdvcharge-2-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-vdvcharge-1-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-vdvcharge-3-jpg  

Hi and welcome to the OSW! I am also a Modern (Cold War and beyond) Russian enthusiast. Check out these threads for some of the best Russian bashes here at OSW.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=80248
    You should check out (using the Search instrument) alicastrillo's bashes - the man is pretty unbelievable! He's scratch-built many modern Russian uniforms, weapons and gear. You'll find many of his bashes at this particular link.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=80054
    Several years ago 21st Century made a Modern Russian paratrooper uniform as well. Check out these pics:
    http://www.ultimatesoldier.net/archive/modern24.html
    Back in the day these things flew off the racks at ToysR'Us, and sold out very quickly at many an e-retailer; I was lucky enough to buy 7 of them. They are long gone, although one or two will occasionally show up on ebay, where they are sold for an obscene amount of $.

Anyway, welcome again and hope these help.

Quote Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
    Hi and welcome to the OSW! I am also a Modern (Cold War and beyond) Russian enthusiast. Check out these threads for some of the best Russian bashes here at OSW.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=80248
    You should check out (using the Search instrument) alicastrillo's bashes - the man is pretty unbelievable! He's scratch-built many modern Russian uniforms, weapons and gear. You'll find many of his bashes at this particular link.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=80054
    Several years ago 21st Century made a Modern Russian paratrooper uniform as well. Check out these pics:
    http://www.ultimatesoldier.net/archive/modern24.html
    Back in the day these things flew off the racks at ToysR'Us, and sold out very quickly at many an e-retailer; I was lucky enough to buy 7 of them. They are long gone, although one or two will occasionally show up on ebay, where they are sold for an obscene amount of $.

Anyway, welcome again and hope these help.
    Hi and thanks for the welcome,

Yeah been lurking on the board before posting a while. Some of the figures i seen have been simply amazing.

I own three 21c Soviet paratrooper kits i bought through a friend and on ebay. I'm not that happy with the camouflage actually but it do good as a symbolic repressentation. The best part with the kits where for me the helmets, they look a bit like the SSH-60. In a way, i see it like im doing repressentations of Soviet soldiers, not actual replicas, thats beyond my skill range.

I'm always on the lookout for new paratrooper kits though.

Cool figures and to OSW

Welcome aboard.

Cool bashes you've there, and welcome aboard.

Great bashes! Welcome Aboard.

This one is a prototype for a KGB borderguard with winter Spetsodezdha uniform. I used the furr from the wintersuit from the Russian Kretchet figure. I'm fairly satisfied how it worked out. To create the "winter" thick clothing i used several layers of other jackets and pants (US night camo actually). Patches and stuff will be added later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-kgbborderguard-1-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-kgbborderguard-2-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-kgbborderguard-jpg  

Nice bashes RPG-7. Welcome to the OSW.

Re: Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations

These turned out really nice and the phone camera photos aren't too bad. I'll agree that the lack of post WW2 Soviet/ Eastern Bloc clothing and equipment is a challenge but on the positive side, it does push us to be more creative.
    OK, so where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Mlatch221 View Post
    These turned out really nice and the phone camera photos aren't too bad. I'll agree that the lack of post WW2 Soviet/ Eastern Bloc clothing and equipment is a challenge but on the positive side, it does push us to be more creative.
    Thanks, yes its so true. I told my partner that if all cold war soviet figures came in boxes im not sure it would be as fun. I like the chase of the impossible, the somehow make a full KLMK suit and such things. The creative part is the hobby for me and what better than cold war soviets could be choosen for that.

Here is a very non-modded figure, a Afghan vet going home with clean clothes and some ww2 medals i bought. Actually think he looks really cool with those 80s sun glasses. Still need some work though, like repainting the adidas shoes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-afghanistangoinghome-1-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-afghanistangoinghome-jpg  

Nice bashes. Why this subject has recieved very little attention from the 1/6 companies is beyond me,they do have a certain "feel" that attracts alot. I enjoyed doing mine but grew frustrated by the lack of anything Russian being available. I did have a few uniforms custom made and scratch built several weapons like the PKM and RPK. Its a fun subject to do and I wish very much that more items where made.

Welcome aboard!

Cold War/Afghan era Soviets were a particular interest of mine many years ago and I collected much of the 1:1 gear during that time (before the wall fell it was unbelievably expensive).

Almost all the web gear was actually web of a dark mustard colour with a brown rubber coating on the topside. You would be best served to use webbing for the harness and then apply a thick coat of brown acrylic paint to the topside.
    .... I'm a rooster illusion.....

Welcome aboard!! Awesome work, great looking figures
    -mike-

Welcome to the Company. check your common sense at the door and keep your wallet handy as the first will just get in the way of your fun and the second will be needed just about hourly to keep up with everything you want.

Great collection!

Thanks all again, it's a great hobby to do and to share.

This is another one of my projects, a Soviet soldier in Afghanistan. The vest is from 21c paratrooper kit (so is the helmet) but i painted it with khaki acrylic to get it more smooth and better looking bullet proof west appareance. While i at the time was pretty happy with the KLMK coverall, im today a bit disappointed. But that's what happens when you base your creation on a drawing instead of an actual photo.

But i still like it and it one of my favourite creations. It also was a really interesting learning process in making the coveral looking like it did. Will be of great use when i try on more standard KLMK coverals.

As usual i use weapons from 21c.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-klmkafghanistan-2-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-klmkafghanistan-1-jpg   Hello all - My cold war soviet kith bashes and creations-klmkafghanistan-jpg  

I reaaaaally like the first one, the helmet is so cool.I'm a big fan of modern Russian figures too,and I'm glad that you're supporting this special branch of military figures that everyone talk about, but no company supports it. Hey, dont get me wrong, but don't you thing that your ruskies would deserve a better photoshop? Come on, you have such good material rigt there....
    "If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can come out of hundreds of battles without any defeat" Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by alicastrillo View Post
    I reaaaaally like the first one, the helmet is so cool.I'm a big fan of modern Russian figures too,and I'm glad that you're supporting this special branch of military figures that everyone talk about, but no company supports it. Hey, dont get me wrong, but don't you thing that your ruskies would deserve a better photoshop? Come on, you have such good material rigt there....
    Thanks. The images are taken with a poor mobile phone, my camera broke down sometime ago. I was planning on making real photos with my next camera later (with a real background like a big flag or something so they are more clearer) on with the fully finished figures (patches and some wheatering) with better quality and of course photoshopping them to be clearer.

Wow great figures. I love the KLMK camo. Did you print it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Von Evil View Post
    Wow great figures. I love the KLMK camo. Did you print it yourself?
    I painted it, mixing flat white and flat green for the green part. Then i took flat white and flat grey to make the sun rays.

I also glued a medium sized brush and cut it a bit to get the computer looking splotshes more straight (or so i theorised), not using the brush as usually do but dotting the uniform to get the sun rays like that. Turned out much better than i imagined at first. A good second try.

The suit was a 21c khakhi spetsnaz suit, not really true to the original in the cut but good enough.

If you meant the two piece klmk i actually used the soviet Coverall from dragon and painted it in flat green (i experimented if it was possible to do it painting colours instead of actually learning how to sew) and the splotshes i think i made to big, to similar looking, but it's ok. My first attempt at painting a uniform to get what i want.

Welcome aboard I really like your figures
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

Welcome, RPG !

Very nice collection. Whatever the quality of 21st C uniforms, they are still a great base for unusual subjects like Soviets, as you show so well.

Very nice. I'm also a fan of Soviet/Warsaw Pact troops. I miss TUS, as they tended to do figures we wouldn't normally see. Their uniforms are a great starting point.