Is the 1/6th scale action figure companies ever going to catch up with BJD's?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Is the 1/6th scale action figure companies ever going to catch up with BJD's?

Is the 1/6th scale action figure companies ever going to catch up with BJD's?

This is something I've wanted to bring up for awhile. Having a wife the collects and customizes Ball jointed dolls I often wonder, will our hobby ever catch up with them as far as design goes? I see BJD's with three times the acticulation our figures have, Magnetic faceplates,(so you could go from straight face to smiles, winks etc...) ears,( for those that want fantasy figures such as elves) in our hobby this would be a nice addition for adding those small earphones all the operator's use. Magnetic wrist joints, Heck with the right design you could even change the hair style. I'm talking molded hair not just wigs. Look at what Hot toys did with one of the Predators. The same thing could be done with any figure they make.
    All heads should be eyehole heads not just a select few.
    Multi-part heads even at 1/6th scale would not be a hard thing to do. Magnetic joints and stands are much better than what we deal with now. multi part torsos, ( and I don't mean two or three parts, I mean more like six to eight) should'nt be a hard thing to design.
    I just think that our figures could have such a larger range of personalizing than what we have now.

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Is the 1/6th scale action figure companies ever going to catch up with BJD's?

I would reeeeally love it if we got some faceplates so you can swap them out for different facial expressions with the same sculpt.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Re: Is the 1/6th scale action figure companies ever going to catch up with BJD's?

But don't those features account for the huge price difference? Aren't BJDs usually in the $300-$500 range?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

60cm BJD's start out around $200.00. But at the scale we work in the price shouldn't go up that much. Heck look what we're being charged now. The figures that are coming out with eyehole heads start at around $70 to $90 dollars. and Hot toys figures that still have basic head sculpts go higher than that. I don't think the issue is cost as much as it's what is wanted in articulation and personalization.
    Is 30+ points of articulation enough? Are people satisfied with a head sculpt that can only have one eye color? The same facial expression and hair style?
    With a multi-piece head sculpt we could have different colored eyes, beard or no beard, the choice of basic butch-cut, flat-top or even longer hair. The designs to do these things is around. All depends on if it's something we are interested in.
    Adding magnets to boots soles is just one more step in the process of making the boot. I already do that myself by taking the sole off, adding the magnet in between the fabric and rubber sole and gluing the sole back on.
    Things like web belts could have thin strips of steel sewn into the design and magnets added to the back of ammo and canteen pouches. And yes they do make magnets small enough and strong enough to do just that.
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B111

Paul

Sadly Paul some of the stuff your talking about are the "new" technologies that HT is using for their $200 "deluxe" line. Triad had always talked about eventually having alot of that stuff though. Their Vanity figure had a removable molded hair peice. A few of their DX heads had moving eyes, and the Samurai Champloo heads will have them as well. The Otaku bodies have magnets in their feet to. You dont think the ZC Girl bods are just bigger Obitsus?

I feel so ignorant right now What are BJDs?

Also, what's the advantage of putting magnets on the soles of the shoes? Are they for metallic bases?

True Serg, Obitsu is the first doll company I had contact with that had magnets in the feet. Emory Sung turned me on to the idea of using them with Cy girls in bootfeet years ago. I'm sure that's where Triad got the idea. Sadly though once you put boots on a figure, magnets in the feet don't stand as well. But we know Obraku's, Opp's I meant Otaku's are meant to be scantly dressed and more than likely barefoot. Adding the magnets to the boots is a much better idea. But this same concept can be used in so many other pieces of gear and would make smalled piece easier to work with.
    Iampoch-
    BJD stands for Ball Jointed Doll, They range in size from 70cm down to about 21cm. Most are made of resin and are strung together with elastic much like the first Hasbro Joes were.
    Magnets in the boots can be use as stands with a metal base. No more of those wire stands that have to be photoshopped out of pictures.

Like I said this idea came from Obitsu dolls that have magnets right in the bottom of their feet. I've seen it used in everything from 35mm minitures to 3 3/4 figures and I've been doing it with 1/6th scale figures for years now.

Paul

A lot of these features are being slowly introduced to 1:6, eyes and hair as has been stated, plus don't the Enterbay BL bodies have magnets in the necks to secure the heads? At one point BBI ran a short-lived line of figures with rubber faces that could change expression (albeit slightly).

I'm assuming that we could see an increase in the frequency of these features down the road as companies determine the desirability/profitability of said features amongst our community. It all comes down to $$$ in the end. When the market speaks, the manufacturers follow.
    .... I'm a rooster illusion.....

Alberta, Canada, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy...

Regarding the OP, I'd have to say "no".

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

if the 1/6 companies incorporated these features in their basic figures, then i think their current pricing could be justified, though, knowing them, they would just call it dx and crack up the prices. then we would complain that they should have left out all the unnessecary features to give us something affordable. i think we will remain status quo.

@ jaztermareal:

Yup, I agree. These innovations would be nice (no, great!) to have, but if it'll jack up the price, I'd rather have what we're getting now. Well, that is until these newer innovations become very cheap to produce that they would have minimal effect on current pricing.

I'm pretty sure 1/6 companies are reviewing and borrowing ideas from their bigger siblings...it was not long ago since Gentaro Araki one of the most famous Japanese sculptors(and a big favorite of mine) gave his U-noa Zero project torso joints right under the bust line and now you see all BJD companies changing their female bodies to adjust to this innovation.
    Triad Toys now gave this torso joint to their ALPHA body and taken how their EVA body is been on production for almost 2 years you can see she has the old joint style whichis a little higher than the waist.
    so it won't be long since 1/6 companies will catch up but I agree the money is a huge factor, the tiniest BJD start from 200$ and they can reach well above 2.000$ so me thinks that the 1/6 companies are really modest for what the are offering which is more than good enough for me and I don't mind if it stays like that,lol...

It's a great idea for sure. I would be interested for sure. Save time in customizing. And another superposable body would always be welcome.