Some questions about the new 3R Japanese figure

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Some questions about the new 3R Japanese figure

Some questions about the new 3R Japanese figure

I received my WWII Japanese Airborne Special Forces figure, Sergeant Major Suzuki, last week. I am very happy with it but have a few questions.

If I have understood correctly the Giretsu were under the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) and recruited wholly from IJA paratroopers. Does this mean that they wore essentially the same uniforms as IJA paratroopers?

The Opsrey book on Japanese paratroops has photos of troops wearing both the early war paratrooper helmets and coveralls (as the ITPT figure) and the standard IJA uniform as late as Novermber 1944. IJA paratroops pretty much only fought in tropical locations. The standard IJA tropical uniform was green, as with the new DID figure, but some sources suggest that paratroops only wore the khaki version. It is hard to tell from black and white photos but those in the Osprey book do look more consistent with khaki than green (which tends to look darker). If this is right wouldn't the Giretsu have worn khaki rather than green ?

Finally, as far as I can tell the sweater included with the figure was only issued for extreme cold weather. Isn't this a bit odd with a figure wearing a standard tropical uniform ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Some questions about the new 3R Japanese figure

I recived it today.
    And YES there is many wrong things.

I will put him together later and take som photos of him , and show here on forum.

Best regards

Re: Some questions about the new 3R Japanese figure

one consideration (and i say this to encourage ANY company to add any gear to a figure they want) is that this figure represents a trooper given the extreme cold gear because IJA transport planes weren't heated.. you do four jumps in an unheated plane at 12000 feet over China (or Japan), and see if you don't beg for a bit more warm weather gear.

Or, perhaps this jumper was training for a winter jump on a mountain.. even in the tropics, high elevations can get cold at night.

or maybe this guy was just a woosie...

that said, is this figure 100% accurate to the TOS of the IJA? No, probably not. But remove the sweater, replace the SMG with an Arisaka, and you are close. Or, just buy the figure for the parts and pieces, and enjoy. I know the sweater is going on another kitbash, so i am happy for it. Not that many IJA soldiers were ever issued the SMG either, but it too is a welcome addition to the kitbash box.