Spray Paint???

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Spray Paint???

Spray Paint???

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys out there use spray paint at all in any of your customs. I recently picked up a spray paint for plastics. The stuff works great on hard plastic. However, I used it on soft plastic hands and arms, and it has been 2 days and the paint is still "tacky". Is there a cure for this? Or do I just have to try and use paint thinner to get the paint off and use a different paint? Thanks for any and all info.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Spray Paint???

I have found when painting some plastics the paint/thinners will melt the surface of the plastic (paint never sets) I just hope this isn't the case with yours.

I've had problems in the past with enamel paint drying on rubber/vinyl. Acrylics have caused me no problems - yet.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So is this figure done for? Should I just take the "L" and move on??

I would try some acetone and see if you can remove that paint. Then maybe prime the head before starting again.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Test a small area or scrap first , but the acetone should remove the paint from the soft plastic. It (THE ENAMEL) will never dry and there is no fix but to strip.

On the flip side - don't use acetone on hard plastic as it will dissolve it.

Also in my personal experience - as early as this past weekend - primer will not create a barrier for enamel/oil based paints to dry on soft plastics.

Acrylics are always a safe bet.
    Last edited by CREG Customs; 06-02-2009 at 13:37.

Didn't mean to imply priming before enameling again. Just a primer coat before painting it over. Acrylics seem to be the best 1:6 hobby friendly paint.

Yeah, now that I think of it, the arms and hands are rubber. The figure is a Staring Line Up Tim Duncan. I am going to use that figure as the body for a Darth Vader I'm trying to make cause he's tall. I will try the acetone and repaint arms and hands using acryllics. Thanks for the help and info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    I have found when painting some plastics the paint/thinners will melt the surface of the plastic (paint never sets) I just hope this isn't the case with yours.
    Never use oil-based paints as these need thinner and thinner hurts your plastic toys!!

Best bet is to go for alcohol-dilluted paints (the kind used for aerography) or plain acrylics that only need water to be thinned.

Now, your soft platics' blues, DaBronxCommando is due to a reaction between the spay paints thinner/accelarant and the type of plastic (likely polythene) and the possible existance of pthalates in it.

The best fast fix to this problem would be non-acentone nail polish removers, as the reaction between the chemiclas might end up giving you a gooey yet colored lump instead of a hand. DON'T SOAK, RUB!

Of course, the paint might dry and cause no harm... But then you need to let the thing out in the sun so the proper ventilation and heat finish "baking" the paint. Still, chipping is a very likely possibility.

Don't put under an artificial bight light because the plastic will go softer and the pain will react further. Sun and air are your second best friends.

First is non-acentone nail polish remover.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188 View Post
    Acrylics have caused me no problems - yet.
    Nor will they evah!

**Can you tell I swear by the Acrylics gods?

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188 View Post
    Didn't mean to imply priming before enameling again. Just a primer coat before painting it over. Acrylics seem to be the best 1:6 hobby friendly paint.
    Yeah, what he said...then also use a quick dry clear coat sealer
    like Mr. Hobby UV Flat Clear Coat. I found no issues when using all
    3 together.

So prime, paint & sealer...always.