Make Your Own Action Figure

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Make Your Own Action Figure

Make Your Own Action Figure

Just trying to spread the word on a new project that my company is working on with Cast-a-Way Toys. We've developed a new MEGO style body that we're calling the Type "S", which stands for "solid construction". Instead of using the traditional elastic bands which have always been common with this type of body, we're eliminating them completely and also adding in improvements to the articulation.

To get the ball rolling ASAP on this we've turned to Kickstarter for the funding. One of the pledge rewards is the opportunity to use this new body on an action figure of your choice (restrictions apply). For someone who's just trying to get into the toy business, or wants to use this as a tool to promote their own IP character, this is a golden opportunity.

Craig

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Make Your Own Action Figure

Sounds very interesting. Any plans on the UK market for these figures?
    What size would they be? I think the old Mego figures were about 8 inches, weren't they?

I've seen nude figures on Ebay but they seem to go for a lot of money. In the past I've used really cheap Action Man figures for kitbashes, but a lot of them don't come with much articulation. I think there could be a market for a cheap-ish basic figure that's aimed at customisation.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRodgers View Post
    Sounds very interesting. Any plans on the UK market for these figures?
    What size would they be? I think the old Mego figures were about 8 inches, weren't they?

I've seen nude figures on Ebay but they seem to go for a lot of money. In the past I've used really cheap Action Man figures for kitbashes, but a lot of them don't come with much articulation. I think there could be a market for a cheap-ish basic figure that's aimed at customisation.
    Yes, we'll be selling figures in the UK market as well. The figures will be 8" tall and the body itself is actually a reproduction of an original Mego Type 2 body, but with slight modifications and improvements. The major advantage of staying with the same basic body style is that it will be compatible with virtually every item that's been released for original Mego or Mego style figures.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Again, it might be a good idea to market these to model horse collectors as I know the original MEGO figures are quite popular for customising into riders but they aren't always easy to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynkhart View Post
    Again, it might be a good idea to market these to model horse collectors as I know the original MEGO figures are quite popular for customising into riders but they aren't always easy to get hold of.
    Actually the model horse collectors already know about this. The female body I had made has become pretty popular in their community.

Oh I know that, several people I know have ordered them! I just wasn't sure whether anyone knew about this particular body.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynkhart View Post
    Oh I know that, several people I know have ordered them! I just wasn't sure whether anyone knew about this particular body.
    I put the Kickstarter announcement on the ZICA Facebook page and as best I can tell the model horse community knows about the new body. I've seen some familiar names listed as backers.