stupid question

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: stupid question

that crappy carnival you're afraid to take your kids to

stupid question

I know this may sound like a stupid question.
    I've read comments about the fumes plastic gives off if you heat it up or
    use a dremel with it.
    My question is this. How do you know when you are breathing in the fumes? or how do you identify the fumes?
    and
    What are the health risks that can accompany said fumes?
    What ways can you prevent fumes?
    May seem silly but I've notice a lot of you comment on them and on other boards about the fumes and I was curious.
    Thanks
    I'm a Clown and I just farted

"I'll stop doin it when you stop laughin"-Shaun of the Dead

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

good ventilation and a fan, and it ain't a silly question
    "Yeah, well. The Dude abides."

If you can smell it....you're breathing it.....good ventilation or go outside to do it....but always wear a mask and safety goggles if grinding with a dremel
    What would that look like if I was 12" tall?

Grant

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is not a stupid or a silly question. Plastic will be toxic in large doses of burning fumes. I try to use a mask... specially when I burn the edges of gunslings..the rubber on kneepads, that way I do not need to sew it together. I gives a good bond. Damn those 21st cent kneepads. Good you started a thread like this. It informs us of chemical and bioligical fumes that plastic emits when burned. Excellent Thread.

Hiya, Clown Fart!

The ONLY stupid question is the question you DON'T ask! Actually a very good question and something all too often overlooked / ignored / scoffed at.

ALL burning or smoldering materials release toxic fumes... the danger is more a matter of concentration and susceptability. The more smoke / fumes / combustion byproducts, the more dangerous. Also, some people will have a lower tolerance to some chemicals than others.

Common sense precautions such as using ventilation and personal protective devices, masks, go a long way to lessening the dangers of our hobby. There are dangers inherent in darn near all hobbies... gun owners "risk" lead poisoning, motorheads are exposed to gasoline fumes (a carcinogen known to the State of California!), and people who knit risk putting in eye out.

Being aware is the best course... an excellent source of information are documents known as MSDS's, Material Safety Data Sheets. These are generated for darn near everything (I recall seeing one for something like paper or wood) and contain all the potential danger info you could need. A quick search turned up: http://www.msdssearch.com/

Be aware but don't panic... your time will come when it's due. George Burns lived til 101 smoking and drinking, so don't sweat the small stuff!

Russ
    FAA Airman *Pending*
    Proud son of Rose and Wes

When the room starts spinning and you hear Pink Floyd - DOWN TOOLS!
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

that crappy carnival you're afraid to take your kids to
    Thanks guys.
    I'm aware of the MSDS. Working at a hospital we are reminded of it annually, it's on our badges, and it's on most of the phones. I didn't think about using them for dremeling on my man dolls though. I smell it occasionally but don't think about it. Course I don't do it that often. I've had some health problems lately and read a lot of comments about styrene fumes over on starshipmodeler.com. I don't think there is a correlation to my health and the small amount of fumes I'm around. As I said I don't do it very often but was curious as to what a few have talked about. I have respirators but I always end up having trouble breathing due to the Halloween mask syndrome where you end up breathing your own O 2. So I was curious as I'm sure there are others out there that have thought the same thing.
    Thanks again.
    I'm a Clown and I just farted

"I'll stop doin it when you stop laughin"-Shaun of the Dead