Robin Hood redux....or....(Christian Bale over-exposed)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Robin Hood redux....or....(Christian Bale over-exposed)

Robin Hood redux....or....(Christian Bale over-exposed)

Here's a very interesting casting rumor. The Daily Mail reports that Ridley Scott is keen to cast Christian Bale as Robin Hood in his upcoming reinvention of the legend "Nottingham".

The new version pains the Sheriff of Nottingham (Russell Crowe) as a more noble character forced to work for a tyrant, whilst Hood himself will be portrayed as a much darker and dangerous personality than previous incarnations.

Sienna Miller was cast earlier this week to play Maid Marion who becomes the center of a love triangle with Hood & the Sheriff.

Vanessa Redgrave, William Hurt and young "Atonement" actress Saoirse Ronan will also apparently appear in the project which begins costume fittings next week.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This sounds good to me. Bale and Crow are great together (the only thing good about 3:10 to Yuma), and like them both as actors. Robin Hood is one of my long time heros. I blame Erol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and the 1938 version for my massive collection of swords.

I like the idea of the Sherif as being a more noble person - I thought Shaw did a good job with that in Robin and Marrion. Robin Hood should be dark, the man (myth) robbed from the rich and gave to the poor... I'm sure he did a lot of unsavory things along the way too.

Woohoo! I am a happy camper.
    got privilege?

Quote Originally Posted by KneeJoint
    Robin Hood should be dark, the man (myth) robbed from the rich and gave to the poor... I'm sure he did a lot of unsavory things along the way too.
    England was a dark place in those days, with the Normans ascendant, and the Saxons dead, under the yoke, or in hiding. The Conqueror laid waste to much, took all he wanted, and left the Saxons desolate. The legends tell of Robin's fair treatment of the poor and women, but wealthy merchants and churchmen, and Noman nobles and their retainers were fair game. Combat was a horrific event, with little quarter given. I doubt that all the Robin hood films put together have yet to approach the reality of it.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Believe me, I know. I am a huge fan of reading histories. I also studied live steal combat (stage combat, blunt edge), we spent hours and hours talking about and studying what exactly the weapons in our hands were capable of... Brutal. And still, with all that knowledge accidents still happen.

There have been a couple of flix that I thought came damn close to the truth of just how brutal it was. Braveheart - Kingdom of Heaven - and the duel between Shaw and Connerey in Robin and Marion.

None of this takes away from my love of Robin Hood movies.
    got privilege?

I hope they give the Quarterstaff it's fair due this time.

"The quarterstaff was noted as an English speciality, and remained in active use throughout the middle ages and Renaissance, well into the modern era. In England a quarterstaff was a large weapon, usually of oak or ash, between 1¼ - 1½ inches thick and, according to various Masters, between 7 and 9 feet long. It was thus a solid and relatively heavy piece of wood, designed to disable an opponent with a single effective strike.

All the great English fencing masters recognised the quarterstaff as superior to any other weapon in single combat, even other two-handed polearms. Zachary Wylde wrote “for a Man that rightly understands it, may bid defiance, and laugh at any other Weapon” and MacBane agreed, noting “whoever is Master of the Staff may Defend himself against any one man with Back or small Sword, as has been often Experienced.”

There is some interesting reading if you Google 'quarterstaff'

I always liked "Robin Hood Daffy", where Daffy Duck tries to convince Porky Pig (as Friar Tuck) that he is indeed Robin Hood! Video here-- http://video.aol.com/video/tv-robin-hood-daffy/1853475
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"