EAA B-17 flight (lotsa pictures)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: EAA B-17 flight (lotsa pictures)

EAA B-17 flight (lotsa pictures)

Well, I just got back from the EAA's B-17 flight. It was meant to be a birthday gift, and it was, just a few weeks early (I think it leaves CA before my birthday....). I got the first flight of the day, nd had alot of fun.
    Before the flight, we had everybody gather around the tail section. My dad got lost, and got got in trouble for lor looking at classified projects he helped work on (its their fault, its within view of the B-17....). We got a basic saftey breifing (how to put on seatbelts, when we could )walk around, and where to exit in case of an emergency).
    After the pre-flight breifing, everybody gathered into the plane. I chose a spot in the radio room, with a good view of the engines. We spent about 15 minutes waiting for the engines to warm up and taxiing around the airport. Then, the engines hit full throttle, and we finally lifted off the ground.
    During the flight, we all got to get up and move around. I took several trips to the bombadier/navigator area. Great photo oppertunity area, big plexiglass window, best view from the plane. It was really cool, looking around all the windows, listening to the loud engines, etc...
    We eventually returned to solid ground, with a big thump. Engines cooled down, the plane did a quick u-turn, and we were back where we started. Went to the gift shop, got a model and a shirt.
    Here's some pictures (and a few videos) from the flight.

Here's a video form my view (radio room) at takeoff

If you havent seen aluminum overcast, here's some pictures from before entering the plane.

This strange view is from peeking in through the gun slots in the tail gun position

Finally inside the plane

Looking over Van Nuys from I dont Know which window

me, wedging myself back into the radio room

Im not sure which windo, again. I think it was one of the waist gunners

Ball turret, the area around it was the loudest, as it has a 1" gap all the way around it

My dad...the plane shook alot, and cut off the top of his head

from the navigators window

My favorite area in the entire plane- bombadiers window

Looking down on van nuys again

from my view...again

back on solid ground

After we landed, while the plane was waiting for more people, the port engines were still running
    'Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe.' --Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You lucky, lucky son-of-a-gun!

Great pics!

You've experienced something few of this generation will ever know. That is an exceptionally fine birthday gift. It's been great getting to have a look, she's a beautiful bird.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What a B-Day gift that was, i would have been in the nose section all day to have that great feelin. When we had one here just seeing it go by with the sound of the engines was priceless in its self. Thanks for sharing

My Grandfather was a B-17 Pilot and I am SOOOOO envious of you right now. I have been inside of one twice, but have never flown in one. You are one lucky fella!!!
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Re: EAA B-17 flight (lotsa pictures)

There was a few years back a B 17 at the air school in Pasco, Wa. I was also able to go up in it. We took a tour, and then went up in the big son of a gun. I was mostly at the waist gunners positions. The one I went up in still h had the 50s in the gunners ports, so I pretended to shoot down messerscmidts. There was an older man there, and he played with me. I was 8 at the time, so I thought it was truley awesome. Recently, I found out this older man lived in my neighborhood, and the B 17 coming again soon, so he offered t bring me to go up again so, HOORAY!!!!!!!!

You are, as we used to say, a "lucky dog", gman5004.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Fantastic !
    SANDRO BRANDIAO

I was at work last year when the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" arrived for a visit to our aviation museum...that was cool, seeing a B-17 flying under 1000 ft. This was even cooler congratulations on the ride.