One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Two more old warriors visit Kansas City

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  SSG Felder 
#1 ·
Just by chance, I noticed an article in the local paper. Two old bombers, a B-17 Flying Fortress and a B-24 Liberator, would be in town for a few days, down at Charlie Wheeler. I got a late start this afternoon (Sunday), and hadn't enough time to stand in line for a walk-through. Enough time to grab some shots though, and the ten bucks was money well spent. As you can see, they still draw a crowd.

For those of you who love these old birds, here's a short walkaround.

The Flight Line

B-17 "NINE O NINE"

B-24 "Witchcraft"

Sitting there on the tarmac, cleaned up and well-maintained, they enjoy the admiration of onlookers, and the clear, warm weather. For now, no thundering of radial engines, no shuddering vibrations and buffeting turbulence, no 20mm-torn sheet metal and perspex. No smell of spilling oil and hydraulics, nor of cordite and hot steel from flak bursts. Quiet conversation rather than frantic radio and intercom voices, and the cries of wounded crewman.
Now they fly from field to field, to be looked upon with awe and respect, and to remind us of the special men they carried .

See less See more
#2 ·
Fantastic - thanks for the pics.

I once saw a B17 take off from the air museum at Duxford, in the UK, and it was a magical site. I would love the chance to walk through either of those two magnificent machines. The only walk-though I have done was though a Sunderland at RAF Hendon museum.

#3 ·
They left this afternoon, but I got one last surprise as I returned to town from up north, close to 10 this morning. As I topped a rise that drops down towards town and the airport, the B-17 was making a banking left turn, on it's approach, after taking some lucky folks up. It was just a bit ahead of me, silhouetted thru the windshield (windscreen for some of you). As you say, AM, magical.

I'd like a look at a Sunderland myself, as well as numerous other RAF aircraft. One of my "big plans", when I strike it rich someday, LOLOL

#6 ·
Those two were in Tucson last April. I came in the middle of a workday, so no lines to worry about. I had plenty of time to do some "research" inside the B-24. :D

#7 ·
Both of those venerable bombers also paid a visit at McLelan AFB here in Sacramento a couple of months ago. I wish I was able to afford the ride which would've been worth it. Thanks for the fantastic pictures!

#10 ·
Ahhh heck. I just left the AO on Monday, wish'd I woulda known about this.

Glad you could make it out there. I remember when the Air Shows would make the annual stop at Richards-Gebauer (sp?) AFB. As much as the modern aircraft excited me, the vintage WW2 was my main attraction to them.

#11 ·
Hollowpoint said:
PD, what camera do you use? Those pics are crystal clear.
It's a Nikon COOLPIX 4800, and considering the small size of the camera body and screen, it is forgiving of my fumbling techniques, LOL (I miss the platform of my old 35mm Minolta 3000i). It seems to do particularly well out 'o' doors.

It turns out that the Liberator had been used by the RAF, then the Indian Air Force. A Brit collector bought it, and it ended up in the hands of the Collings Foundation. It's been done up in the colors for "Witchcraft", which flew 130 combat missions in the 8th AF, ETO (467BG/790BS). They've also flown it in other schemes.

The local paper related that an old 24 pilot went up for a ride, and got to take the controls for a bit. The last time he'd flown one was about 60 years ago.

BR, I used to try and get to every air show at both Richards-Gebaur (now an industrial park) and Olathe NAS (now the JoCo Executive Airport, and also home to B Co, 7/158th Avn (Heavy Lift)). There's a Combat Air Museum at Forbes Field in Topeka - http://www.combatairmuseum.org/ - definitely worth a look. I'm still pissed that Antioch Park in JoCo got rid of the F4U Corsair they used to have sitting outside the playground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.