One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Remembering Ryan

27K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  spyder 
#1 ·
We have suffered the loss of a Friend and Brother, and with that loss, some part of ourselves. Here now, we will remember Eagle MP, Ryan Bomaminio. As we knew him, as he was always with us from the beginning. Something for Ryan, something too, for us....

Jump on in, this is a celebration of his life.​

-----

See less See more
#2 ·
The first time I met Ryan face to face, was when I landed at LA Ontario airport for my first Weekend of Heroes. Looking down the stairs, I saw a young guy with a high 'n' tight haircut, and a big grin on his face. "You gotta be Ryan" I said as we shook hands, and it was like meeting a buddy you haven't seen in a while.
We waited for Butch (Sawgunner), and pretty much repeated the scene when he saw us waiting for him on the street level.

The first of Ryan's bashes I got to see in person was a sniper posed in a sitting position. He used the DML 'Alexander the Great' headsculpt, which was bald under the removeable hair. It was inspired. He had the web gear belt unbuckled so that the web gear hung loose, unemcumbering the shooter.
Ryan had an eye for practical detail, and he was in his element discussing all the elements of the hobby, that is BSing with his fellow bashers. The man just naturally knew how to have a good time.

It has been said before that maybe the best part of all about WOH, is just hanging around with people you have usually only known through interaction aboard OSW. There tends to be a number of "family photos" taken, and if Ryan was present, he was in them.

Ryan was not snobbish either. He was just as friendly to those he met outside the hobby.

-----

#3 ·
He was really friendly and helpful, i was rather new on the board, and didn't have much of a trade history. When i was looking for somebody to help me get some 1:1 military gear from Ebay US from a seller who wouldn't ship to me Ryan helped me out just a few minutes after i asked for help. He paid for his end of the shipping and didn't want any money for his help.
He really made an impression and was a great guy, really showed how helpful the community is.

#5 ·
I remember the first time I emailed him. I made a comment about wanting to be a police officer but deciding to finish high school first. It was all uphill from there. Ryan was a great dude, I will miss him sorely. Rest in piece brother.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting that group picture, PD. That's the same one I have hanging in my "Joe room." Was trying to find it on the board to post it, but no dice.

Can't say I had a lot of interaction with Ryan, or as we knew him, EagleMP. Sounds like I missed out. Most of my memories of him are in group settings, when there would be 4-8 of us standing together shooting the breeze at a show. And he always had that giant smile.
Guys like him can't ever be replaced.

Goodbye, OSW brother.

#7 ·
I must've met Ryan at the 21C show in 2000 or the inaugural WOH show in 2002. It was a while back and I missed him at the other shows I was able to attend from 2007-2009. I knew him from GL's board, originally, I believe.

When he decided to join the army, we ended up trading emails and PM's about basic and what to expect--things I know several other OSW'ers helped him with. I got the sense he'd be just fine, and he was.

We had a trade going not long before he shipped to basic and I can't remember the details, except that I ended up sending some items to him as a gift. I remember him telling me that he might not get them before he left for basic. Sure enough, he did not get the package until he came home from basic or AIT and I remember him writing me and saying, "well, that was a cool surprise waiting for me when I got home."

He was the epitome of the All American kid--sharp, squared away and wanting to do something that both challenged him and made a difference. He was a fine warrior and police officer.

His death hurt me even though I did not know him well. He was just that kind of individual.

I won't forget him.

#13 ·
Over the last couple of days, I've listened to news reports on the radio and TV about Ryan, and have seen footage of the figures at the funeral, heard mentions of his toy collecting, and even of this board (here or Green Leader's) as a "website about customizing G.I.Joes."

Chet, thank you for posting pictures of the Echobase/OSW memorial. Very fitting. And thanks to you and Doktor Von Evil for representing this community at the funeral. Very grateful for that. And cheers to the EBT guys for their participation.

All of you gents acted admirably. The family is sure to appreciate this heart felt tribute.

#14 ·
I was looking thru Ryan's gallery today, for a reference. I thought he'd done an MP figure from Vietnam.

I found these shots of Ryan, mostly from his deployments to Iraq:

You know, even camo paint could not contain that grin -

We miss you brother, every day.

-----

#19 ·
Ryan's thread was moved to the Hall of Honor today.
It's as if he only just left.
We miss him so.
A lot of wounded hearts are hurting again.
A lot of good memories remain.

#20 ·
That was a bad day, to put it mildly. I only knew him a little--met him a couple of times, traded, chatted--and his death shocked me. I can only imagine his family's pain and grief.

Like you said, Mike, it seems that just yesterday I made that tough phone call to you.

He was a solid individual.

#23 ·
I have to say that after being off this site for a long time, I logged on a few months ago only to read this about Ryan. truthfully I took it very hard and immediately logged off.
I met Ryan on this site and we became pretty good friends, even though it was through emails and phone calls. Ryan always wanted to become a Police Officer and being one myself, he would always ask me questions. I always gave him the best advice I could and I was confident that he would become a Fine Officer one day. I will never forget the day he was hired. when he called me I could see the smile through the phone and I was so proud for him. Being A big patch collector Ryan always sent me patches that he got when he was on a Tour of Duty.
After going through some normal life stuff that takes you away from hobbies, I only spoke with him briefly here and there.
We still continued to send emails and he always begged me to trade him some of my rare parts, which always ended in an inside joke. I always told him that when I got the chance to travel out there, that I would bring him the parts he wanted. I wish I would have taken that trip...........

Ryan was a True Gentleman, an Honorable Soldier, a Brother Officer and a Hero.
One day will shall meet Brother, until then may You Rest in Peace!!!!

#24 ·
Two years since we lost Ryan, and part of me still can't believe it. I sometimes expect him to log on and post some new bash. We go on, so much less for his absence, and so much more for having known him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.