Yep it's true, F-14 Tomcats retired from Service.

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Yep it's true, F-14 Tomcats retired from Service.

Yep it's true, F-14 Tomcats retired from Service.

Yep sad to see but the F-14 Tomcat has been formally retired from operational service.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18201703-2,00.html

Replaced by the F/A-18 Super Hornet.

Austeyr.
    'Good people sleep soundly in their beds at night because rough men are prepared to do violence on their behalf'

George Orwell

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oh man, I loved Tomcats... the F-18 looks like such a puny plane in comparison.

EDIT: You know, it's such a feeling of deja vu... the Tomcat being mothballed because there is no need for high speed maneuverabilty in dog fights. Wasn't that why they first designed the Phantom without guns and then had to retrofit it and finally replace it with Tomcat?
    Why is it that the military always goes back to that idea of computerized, long distance warfare? It will always go back to people slugging it out, be it on foot, in the air or above/below the water...
    Last edited by abake; 02-21-2006 at 09:42.

Just think about it .. if they made Top Gun with a F-18, it would hardly be the same movie.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I too am a bit disappointed, however, think about it. The F-14 is not the only aircraft with air to air capabilities. The F-18 is capable and the F-15 is the shining star and more than capable as an interceptor. So while yes, the Tomcat is sleek and sexy and I've always loved them... I'd rather be in the cockpit of an F-18 or more over an F-15 any day of the week. But just my honest opinion, I loved top gun by the way, it's where I sparked my interest in wanting to become a fighter pilot. To bad they don't except lasik surgery, so that's why the Army's got me instead...

YOU KNOW . . .

The Encore Action action have been playing PATTON lately. There is a scene in the movie when Patton is commenting how he and Rommel would meet each other in the battlefield, shake hands, and then go to their respective tanks and the victor will decide the outcome of the war.

In this modern age and day . . . direct face to face combat is not what is used to be except for the front line and special operation warriors, but not necessarily so when it comes to high tech aircraft and armor.

The F-14 IMHO is one of the finest air combat fighters ever produced; however, the design, nature, and operation needs of air combat in general is changing and evolving; however, years down the line . . . maybe we'll see a resurgence of "old school" fighters again . . . after all . . . we always seem to come full circle again based on history.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung
    YOU KNOW . . .

The F-14 IMHO is one of the finest air combat fighters ever produced; however, the design, nature, and operation needs of air combat in general is changing and evolving; however, years down the line . . . maybe we'll see a resurgence of "old school" fighters again . . . after all . . . we always seem to come full circle again based on history.
    Agreed, we must remember it is a 40 year old design, and all good thing must come to an end. I wish the USMC had kept its OA-4M's for Fast FAC duties, imagine one swooping down low over an enemy position, marking it with smoke as a pair of 18's follow up with CBU's or LGB's...ahh the sweet sight of victory!
    [email protected]
    US Marines, when it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed overnight.

The F-14 was getting on a bit as a design, I mean, it'll soon be 20 years since Top Gun. Mind you, the F-18 isn't exactly the new kid on the block either. Shouldn't they have both been replaced by YF-22's by now anyway!? Having said that, that plane is a more than 10 year old design and it hasn't even entered service!

The F-18 is a nice bird though, but it hasn't had the profile that the Tomcat had. Top Gun made us all want to be pilots! It'd be nice if some civil guys can keep some F-14's going though.

CHEERS!

the tomcat is one helluva bird, the titanium sweeper is an engineering masterpiece.

Even tho some inventory is old, its still does the job...e.g. AH-1W SuperCobras, A-10 Warthog. I'm glad the A-10 Warthog is still serving for a while. But some want digital hardware.(yeah, I know its an oxymoron)

The F22 isn't designed for carrier duty; but the Navy will likely get the F-35.

The neat thing about F-14 Tomcats for their last tour of duty is that some of the squadrons had the retro-paint scheme from the 70's.

And likely the Cats will be resting at the aircraft graveyard near Tucson (do a google.map and you can see gobs of birds). I hope they dont give them target drone duty.

Guys, the Tomcat was designed not to tangle itself up in aerial furballs but to knockdown Swarms of Enemy Bombers at over the horizon ranges. It was a platform for the very long range Hughes AIM 64 Pheonix and coupled a (then) sophisticated radar with extreme range missiles. Whilst it did possess excellent manouvreability so does the F18 E which replaces it. Lets face it the F18E/F/G are NEW airframes and require less space, Less maintenance and have commonality with the current Navy Marine strike fleet. This means less logistic burden on an already crammed carrier.
    The Tomcat has offered excellent service for over quarter of a century like the F4 before it. Its use by date was up. The F18 Super Hornet is an able replacement.
    Cheers
    Spanner

Now only the Iranians have the F-14 in service.
    But history, which is never tidy, must always end with questions. Conclusions are much too convenient.
    --Antony Beevor

As old as the F14 was, I'm sad to see it go. feel I have a bit of an attachment to it, the reason I got so interested in the military was "TopGun" and the F14 (who didnt want to be maverick when they were a little kid?) I used to dream about being an F14 ace, now I'm a day late and a dollar short (17 and have Red-Green Colorblindness) lol.
    Mark

VF-31 "Tomcatters" and VF-213 "Black Lions", both currently attached to Commander Carrier Air Wing EIGHT from NAS Oceana, VA; are the last two operational F-14D-model squadrons in the fleet. Both are deployed aboard USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN 71).

The "Tomcatters" and "Black Lions" will retire their F-14D Tomcats upon return from deployment this spring. They will transition to F/A-18 Super Hornets and redesignated as STRIKE FIGHTER (VFA) squadrons in September.

Why the transition?

Although the Tomcat has been upgraded and modified since its debut in the 1970s, the 40-year-old design requires too much maintenance and many of the aircraft have airframe fatigue. G-forces endured during an F-14's lifespan stresses the airframe, weakening it to a point where the aircraft is no longer safe to fly.

As any airframe, powerplant and avionics maintenance enlisted sailor with fleet Tomcat experience will tell you, the F-14's hydraulic and electrical systems are more difficult to maintain than newer aircraft. Not to mention the amount of manpower and resources it requires to completely disassemble to bare frame, inspect, rehab/replace and re-assemble the bird when it cycled-in from the fleet to undergo scheduled depot-level maintenance -- performed mostly by Navy civilian technicians.

Not all F-14 squadrons will make the transition to the Super Hornet; as some have already been disestablished -- fading into Naval Aviaition history. Squadrons that do make the transition will maintain their lineage, squadron heritage and name; but with the addition of an "A" after "VF" (USN designator for "fixed-wing, fighter"), designating them for the strike-fighter role.

During their scheduled transition time, Tomcat pilots will join Fleet Replacement Squadron (FRS) VFA-122 "Flying Eagles" at NAS Lemoore, CA. The FRS is a post-training command, where pilots learn to fly a specific aircraft. Pilots already trained in flying the Super Hornet will be merged into the former F-14 crews to provide valuable experience. Squadron maintenance crews will spend their transition time learning the Super Hornet's maintenance requirements.

All returned Tomcats will be ferried to their final home at the USAF's Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center (AMARC) at Davis-Monthan AFB in the Arizona desert. There they will have their engines, avionics, ejection seats and weapon systems removed; their canopies and fuselages sealed and preserved, and be placed in desert storage. Some Tomcats will be sent from AMARC on permanent loan for static display at aviation museums, military installations ("gate bird" duty) and selected municipalities.

F-14 airframes too worn-out for preservation will be scrapped, or gutted except for basic components and sent to military technical schools for use as training devices for aircraft ground handling, part fabrication, painting, repair and aircrew rescue.

More details on the last Tomcats can be found here from USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT's public affairs office:
    http://www.tr.surfor.navy.mil/News_S...S_Story154.htm

And while Iran may still fly the F-14 -- cannibalizing its fleet for spare parts and with the help from the Russians to upgrade its powerplant and avionics -- airframe fatigue will eventually force them to retire their fleet of Tomcats sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by jaywhy8202; 02-22-2006 at 00:00.
    Until Every One Comes Home -- Support Your USO!
    OFFICIAL SERVICE WEBSITES: DoD / Army / Navy / Marine Corps / Coast Guard / Air Force
    View the latest official DoD news & podcasts from The Pentagon Channel
    Visit the Military Design Group

rambeau87 Unregistered Guest
    That really is sad,the F-14 was one of the coolest aircraft ever made. I remember reading that the 14 could engage track and destroy 6 enemy aircraft at a time while the 18 could only do two.

alas,maybe one of these days the government will find the balls to try and carrier launch an F-22 .

Quote Originally Posted by GIGENE
    Now only the Iranians have the F-14 in service.
    I doubt it, they've had no tech support for 26+ years.
    [email protected]
    US Marines, when it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed overnight.