Opsrey's Chinese army 1937-49: a good booklet

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Opsrey's Chinese army 1937-49: a good booklet

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian

Opsrey's Chinese army 1937-49: a good booklet

Hi all:
    I received my Amazon order and I must say that Osprey's Chinese Army 1937-45 is a really good booklet. It covers the uniforms, weapons and the training in a concise and and highly informative manner. The colour plates are a kitbasher's dream. All in all I've been pleased with the latest offerings (i.e. the 400 series) from Men at arms. They've returned to the series' core interests.
    Also, I think the publisher took to heart my scathing criticism against Osprey's miniseries on the Japanese army of WW II where the same authour(Philip Jowett) padded the booklets with a 3 page chronology of events that should've been dedicated to the uniforms and tactics. The booklet on the Chinese army includes a chronology but this time it provides the reader with a concise summary of the really important events without taking valuable pages as already noted for the Japanese volumes

I highly recommend the booklet even if WW II isn't your interest, there's still lots of great kitbashing ideas.

xavier

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I haven't seen this book yet since Borders and Barnes don't always carry the latest titles, and the good hobby stores that do are 100 miles away. I'm glad Osprey released this title since I thought the coverage of the Nationalists in the Chinese Civil War Armies book wasn't extensive enough. This book is certainly on my must buy list. Thanks for the review Basx.
    But history, which is never tidy, must always end with questions. Conclusions are much too convenient.
    --Antony Beevor

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Gigene:
    It is. OK so the chronology is 3 pages long but it provides very terse summary of events that can give us kitbashing ideas. They don't annoy like in the Japanese series The colour plates are real gems for coming up with stuff
    xavier