SAS rescue Comrades in BASRA. (the DRAMA Unfolds)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: SAS rescue Comrades in BASRA. (the DRAMA Unfolds)

Exclamation SAS rescue Comrades in BASRA. (the DRAMA Unfolds)

BASRA, Iraq (Reuters) - British forces freed two undercover soldiers from jail in Basra late on Monday after a day of rioting in the southern city sparked when the (undercover) soldiers fired on an Iraqi police patrol.

An Iraqi Interior Ministry official said British forces stormed the jail using six tanks and that dozens of Iraqi prisoners escaped during the raid.

Lisa Glover, spokeswoman for the British embassy in Baghdad, said three people were wounded in the operation to free the soldiers and were being treated at a nearby base. She did not give further details of how the soldiers were freed.

The two undercover soldiers were arrested on Monday after opening fire on Iraqi police who approached them, police and local officials said. They said the men were wearing traditional Arab headscarves and sitting in an unmarked car.

"They were driving a civilian car and were dressed in civilian clothes when shooting took place between them and Iraqi patrols," an official in Basra said.

Mohammed al-Abadi, an official in the Basra governorate, said the two men looked suspicious to police.

"A policeman approached them and then one of these guys fired at him. Then the police managed to capture them," Abadi told reporters. "They refused to say what their mission was. They said they were British soldiers and (suggested) to ask their commander about their mission."

One of the British undercover soldiers sat with a bandage on his head after being detained, a Reuters photographer said. His trousers were stained with blood spots.
    ------------------

Undercover Brits in Arab garb?
    Who ever these guys are, they are in DEEP s**t.

Read more here: http://i.photos.reuters.com/news/new...AQ-BRITONS.xml

More Photos here:
    http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=1&tag=5
    Last edited by DunkleGelb; 09-21-2005 at 09:27.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A clandestine operational base well-hidden in a Michigan rural area.
    Uh huh...Brit soldiers looked suspicious to Iraqi Police outside a jail where an suspected Iraqi terr leader was being held. Brits "opened fire" on the police and later surrendered to the police. Other Brit soldiers coming to disperse the "demonstration" outside the police station are fire-bombed and pelted with rock and stones thrown by demonstrators opposing the supposed efforts to release the Brits in police custody. 3 Brit soldiers subsequently injured by the demonstrators after repulsing the "Brit rescue" forces. No injuries to the Iraqi demonstrators who held the street after the Brits withdrew from the vicinity of the police station leaving the "undercover" Brit soldiers behind.

That sound right to anyone else? Sounds goofy from start to finish to me. Why wasn't the street cleared by machine-gun fire after the FIRST fire-bomb was thrown? Wouldn't THAT sound better for propaganda purposes for the harmless, blameless, defenseless, peaceful Iraqis? I didn't see any Iraqi bodies in the photos, but I DID see a Brit soldier ON FIRE in one of the pix on another website. A Brit soldier ON FIRE trying to escape his burning IFV while being pelted with rocks from the crowd!

Yah. Things are going great in Iraq. Democracy is really taking hold over there. The War on Terror just keeps getting better'n better every day, ya think?

Maybe we need a coupla Texas Rangers sent over. They'd clear things up inside a week. Hey, Tracker! Another great story idea for ya!
    "I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here."

"No healthy person willingly heaps abuse upon another struggling soul."

Pics of the kit these 'undercover soldiers' were carrying.

Man! These guys were armed to light things up real good!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How do you go under cover with a para saw and a rocket? what were they dressed as, pregnant women?

And whats the car jack for, were they traveling in a vehicle or somthing? If so why would you confiscate a carjack? Id hate to get arrested by the Iraqi police, looks like they take all your ...., no matter what, till they find out whats going on...

On the lighter side of things, its sad this stuff happens, but you cant always make the right decision under pressure, However I think their actions were justified as they made they made the best decision they could based on what they had... Just think of howmany times these guys have been in the same situation and actually werent wrong about the people they shot at....

On the some what darker side of things... It shows that everyone messes up in war, the U.S. is not the only one to accidentally shoot at the wrong people all the time...
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow
    I brought payment. *BANG!* Look, an undead monkey! - Jack Sparrow

After listening to a few reports of this I think the Brits were extremely justified in their actions. The "Police" handed these guys over to the Militia - you can see where that is going. I appluad a field commander with the Balls to act quickly enough and with minimal force to get his people back. Lets face it they got there guys back and only had one lightly damaged vehicle and injured troopy to show for it.
    Full marks guys
    Spanner

This is incredible to me, they were dressed as arabs, took shots at Iraqi cops got caught and had BOMBS!!! WTF?

What a major clusterfcuk this turned out to be. And in the process they also let loose 150 insurgents while getting them out?

These 2 have to be SAS, they just have to be. Regular squaddies dont get this level of protection.

Just what is going on here?!?
    http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/underworld0919.jpg

Who were they going after? Bigfoot? Godzilla? The Wolfman? Man, they were TOOLED up.

Seriously though, they weren't going to have a repeat of what happened to corporals Derek Wood and David Howes in Belfast on March 19, 1988. Gotta say fair play to them for getting their guys out - Iraqi cops aren't the most trustworthy chaps.
    Last edited by Kuroi; 09-21-2005 at 04:13.

BTW, great pics Dunk.

The DRAMA Unfolds.

--------------------
    From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...790292,00.html :

Police station raid was diversion as SAS squad rescued comrades

AN SAS team used the noise of armoured vehicles bulldozing their way through a nearby police compound to mask the raid that freed their comrades.

The rescuers, from the same squad as the captives, blew out the doors and windows of the smart suburban villa with plastic explosive and hurled stun grenades at the militiamen guarding the two undercover soldiers.

A short, intense burst of automatic gunfire was heard before the men were freed and their captors were seen being dragged away, hoods over the heads and their hands tied behind their backs.

Neighbours said the entire operation took only a couple of minutes while attention was focused a hundred yards away on the army’s invasion of the main Jamiat police compound.

-------------------------------
    STATEMENT GIVEN BY BRIGADE COMMANDER 12 MECHANIZED BRIGADE – BRIGADIER JOHN LORIMER

During the morning two British soldiers were detained at the Jamiat Police Station in Basra. Under Iraqi law, as MNF soldiers, they should have been handed over to the Coalition authorities. The Consul-General and I asked repeatedly for this but it did not happen.

During the day we went to exhaustive lengths to achieve the hand-over of the soldiers. And in fact, as a result, we understand that the Iraqi Interior Minister personally ordered the release of the soldiers. However, that order seems to have been ignored.

From an early stage, I had good reason to believe that the lives of the two soldiers were at risk and troops were sent to the area of Basra near the police station to help ensure their safety by providing a cordon. As shown on television, these troops were attacked with fire-bombs and rockets by a violent and determined crowd.

Later in the day, however, I became more concerned about the safety of the two soldiers after we received information that they had been handed over to militia elements. As a result I took the difficult decision to order entry to the Jamiat police station. By taking this action we were able to confirm that the soldiers were no longer being held by the IPS. An operation was then mounted to rescue them from a house in Basra.

I am delighted that the two British soldiers are back with British Forces and are in good health. We will be following up with the authorities in Basra why the soldiers were not immediately handed over to MNF as Iraqi law (CPA Order 17) says that they should have been.

I should put the scale of yesterday’s disorder into context. British armoured vehicles being attacked by a violent crowd, including with petrol bombs, makes graphic television viewing. But this was a small unrepresentative crowd (200-300) in a city of 1.5 million. The vast majority of Iraqi people in MND(SE) are law abiding and value the contribution made by coalition forces to maintaining stability and security.

Minor damage was caused to the prison compound wall and to the house in which our two soldiers were held.

It is of deep concern that British soldiers held by the police should end up being held by militia. This is unacceptable and I should stress that we won’t hesitate to take action against those who are involved in planning and conducting attacks against coalition forces.

Looking ahead, I should stress that the situation in Basra is now calm. We will continue to work closely with local authorities to maintain this calm, and with the Iraqi Security Forces who capabilities we are helping to develop. It was a difficult day yesterday, but we have put this behind us and will move on.

--------------------------

Now what I'd really want to know is:
    How were these heavily armed HARDCORE dudes CAPTURED?
    Did they in fact, fire on and kill and Iraqi Policeman?
    WHAT WAS THEIR MISSION!???

Good Show.
    I bet the SAS are having some interesting Intel gathering sessions with those
    militants they captured when they freed their comrades.
    Last edited by DunkleGelb; 09-21-2005 at 09:31.

Nighty night teeth.

I'm guessing that it was more like the Brits were spotted by militia-friendly cops who wanted to score some points with the local anti-US group and instead of completely wiping out the local police while they fought their way out, the Brits did the right thing and surrendered. If any shots were fired it was probably by the cops. I mean come on, two SAS armed to the teeth and no dead cops? The police are lucky they surrendered. Thats where the story goes to crap. If they were really there to cause trouble as the first story implies, it would have been alot messier. Once again, anything to try and make the allies look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Bastard
    What a major clusterfcuk this turned out to be. And in the process they also let loose 150 insurgents while getting them out?
    Where did you get this info? this is the first i have heard of insurgents escaping as a result of the actions...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Bastard
    Just what is going on here?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkleGelb
    Now what I'd really want to know is:
    How were these heavily armed HARDCORE dudes CAPTURED?
    Did they in fact, fire on and kill and Iraqi Policeman?
    WHAT WAS THEIR MISSION!???
    The reports are mixed, however first it appears that the birts said the Tanks were to quell rioting after the prisoners were released by their captors...

However now it seems that is false... From what i gather the "Hardcore dudes" were on a mission to snif out insurgents... They opened up on the "wrong" guys, after these people identified themselves as iraqi police they gave them selves up, and figured they would be handed over due to their status (as should happen pointed out in DUnk's article).

However it appears that this specific iraqi police station is corrupt as they did not release these SAS/SBS (could they even be MI6?) agents as they were told to do so repeatedly. Instead it appears that these "corrupt" policemen gave the British agents to Militia/Insurgents... This is when the brits rolled in the tanks to cover up the SAS raid... Then they tried to say the tanks were just to quell a riot, however the truth seems to be coming out...

I think these guys are Higher than SAS, as i think the above article labels the rescuers as SAS but doenst refer to the 2 guys as SAS. So that might be why they could be Mi6, which would explain why the brits wanted them back soo badly, and why a 2 man team was armed with enough stuff to rotate your tires and blow up any tank that got in your way... (had to crack another joke at the car jack).

Anyways, thats my best guess/compilation on what happened.
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow

You'll prolly have to wait a bit for the story. For some reason, these guys don't talk about what they do much.

What is the time frame on the Official Secrets Act? Something like eternity plus 5 years?
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

LOL eternity plus 5 years....

Wow those guys were armed to the teeth.
    An AK a day keeps the bad guys away.

My Trades/Wants List

I tihnk it was Eternity plus infinity divided by the power of 5.

blew out the doors and windows of the smart suburban villa with plastic explosive

Current topic aside:
    Is that right? Is that a typo? Should they have meant to say "small suburban villa"?

correct spelling bug off:

Back on topic:
    Saw the video of the fire on the tank with the soldier on fire trying to get out. Didn't know what was really going on, news was reporting something about a 'jailbreak' of British soldiers(only caught the last little bit, was flipping through channels when I saw the fire).

I'm glad they were able to get those guys out of there.
    ----------
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for
    you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I think by "smart", they were trying to describe the luxurious digs that had been taken over for use by these "security forces".
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    I tihnk it was Eternity plus infinity divided by the power of 5.
    My head hurts...

however i think its Eternity divided by infinity minus 5.... In that case its -4 years... wait, damn it that cant be right... now my head hurts even more...

Well guys, you only have 25 years to wait.