One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Wats Your Fav War movie of all time?

15K views 97 replies 62 participants last post by  corysorndorff 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity.... you guys generally derive inspiration from movies for your kitbashes.

Wat I am curious to know is what movie provides the biggest inspiration???

#57 ·
I like all the old films,

Guns of Navarone
The Dirty Dozen
A Bridge to Far
Kelly’s Heros
Midway
Brass Target (not really a war film but military espionage, the assassination of General Patton IMHO one of the best movies of all time)

Newer films,
Patton
Apocolypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
BHD
The Beast
Fire Fox
Stripes

#59 ·
Yea I remember wathing attack force z late one night on cable, around veterens day or a similar holiday, where they use it as an excuse to show all the war movies in their library. So I'm shocked when I see Sam Neil as this stone cold killer, when up to that point I think the only thing I had ever seen him in was Jurassic Park. Mel was so young was it prior to his role in Mad Max?

#60 ·
You know, Tarentino is considering Adam Sandler for a roll in his WW II flick? Now imagine that....

Thats about as wierd as Adam Goldberg and Vin diesel in Saving Private Ryan

#62 ·
Night Crawlers a 1hr episode of the Twilight Zone Series 2
Night Crawlers is one of the best Twilight Zone eps EVER. Ranks with the best of the original series. I'd love to have a copy.

As for favorite war moives, in no real order:
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Glory
Lawrence of Arabia
Patton
Braveheart
Three Kings
Hell in the Pacific
A Midnight Clear
Ran
Kelly's Heroes (not a serious war movie, but a fun watch)

#63 ·
ok this one is a stretch but it has wars in the title. STAR WARS. ok I guess by the same token that you could call Tek wars a war film. ok Tek wars was horrible forget I said anything.

#64 ·
Lawrence of Arabia
Lion of the Desrt
Lost Command
The Battle of Algiers
Ran
Kagemusha
Apocolypse Now
Silmido
Bridge over the River Kwai
Hell in the Pacific
Dogs of war
A Soldiers Story (Russian film)

I really wish someone would make a good film about Little Bighorn .
With Johny Cash's "Custer" as the theme song .

#67 ·
Little Big Man is worth seeing, Aly. It's the recounting of his life by 127 year old Jack Crabb (Hoffman). It's a dark comedy, but manages to say a lot about the settling of the west. Custer, as portrayed by Richard Mulligan, is undeniably insane. It's a well-made film, directed by Arthur Penn in 1970.

1991's Son of the Morning Star is the story of Custer and the Little Big Horn (Greasy Grass), told from both sides. It's 187 minutes long, so there's quite a bit of ground covered.

#68 ·
PD ... Huh ? OK ...Well perhaps I shouldn't be too jaded . Just that there have been a sh!tload of horrible movies about The Battle of Little Bighorn , most of them makining Custer out to be some sort of martyrd hero as opposed to an egomaniacle imbicile who got his just reward .
Uppon your reccomendation , I will look into these two films .
Thanks for the heads up .

#69 ·
haloed said:
I can't help but think about the Vast gap and I do mean vast when I think about Adam Goldbergs role in Dazed and Confused and Private Ryan. It just boggles the mind.
He was also in the hebrew hammer, pick that one up, its a keeper....

#70 ·
Actually, The Battle of Little Big Horn is only one portion of "Little Big Man" which follows the life of Hoffman's character in the old west. It's very well done, and it has some great acting by Chief Dan George (better known for "The Outlaw Josey Wales").

He was also in the hebrew hammer, pick that one up, its a keeper....
I saw this on Comedy Central about a month ago--a great watch!

#71 ·
not sure if anyone mentioned this one, but '84 charlie mopic' is an excellent 1989 film that follows a lrrp team on patrol in the central highlands of s vietnam. fiction, but feels 'real.' an excellent, excellent movie. prolly my favorite nam film. look for it at your local video store (vhs only, no dvd afaik)

#75 ·
also these

the vikings

the long ships

the war lord

el cid

taras bulba

the great escape

the green berets

i like the old movies and old stars like KIRK DOUGLAS.

JOHN WAYNE, YUL BRYNNER, GEORGE PEPPARD,

CHARLTON HESTON, STEVE MCQUEEN

ALSO THE FINEST WW1 MOVIE EVER THE BLUE MAX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.