Metal Gear solid--from DreamWave Comics...

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Metal Gear solid--from DreamWave Comics...

Exclamation Metal Gear solid--from DreamWave Comics...

Dunno if this fits here, but i know there are more than a few Metal Gear fans on the forums, so...

http://www.mediasharx.com/index.php/news/2005
    http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news...30843479391.htm

IDW to Release Metal Gear Solid Comic Book
    Posted: Tuesday, May 11
    Posted By: Shawn Patty
    Print This Item

Konami and IDW Publishing Join To Bring Video Game Franchise To Comics

IDW Publishing is very proud to announce that they are joining with video game giant Konami to publish their #1 video game franchise, Metal Gear Solid, as a comic book.

The Metal Gear Solid series has sold over 14 million copies worldwide and will now broaden that consumer base to the comic book market. Metal Gear Solid is generally regarded as the premiere video game, with millions of fans and players.

“Metal Gear Solid is the ‘Lord Of The Rings’ of the video game business and we are pleased and honored that Hideo Kojima, the game’s creator, is allowing us to make comics based on his incredible work,” said IDW Publishing President Ted Adams. “Many other comic book publishers have approached Konami to produce comics, so IDW Publishing is very pleased that Mr. Kojima personally chose us. Mr. Kojima also personally approved noted illustrator Ashley Wood to provide the art for Metal Gear Solid.”

"I have absolute trust in IDW, who have given birth to 30 Days of Night. I am a personal fan of Mr. Ashley Wood. He is a man of great talent. Together, they have broken the norms of conventional American comics and established a worldwide new wave of bande dessinée,” says Hideo Kojima, Metal Gear Solid series Director and Producer, and Vice President of Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, Inc. “It is a great honor that they are creating comics based on Metal Gear Solid, and I have learned through the process how much they love the game. I have no doubts that they will definitely be bringing us a great Metal Gear Solid comic series."

KONAMI & IDW TEAM FOR METAL GEAR SOLID COMIC SERIES
    Perhaps the biggest videogame player in terms of ongoing story and fanbase will move to comics in September with IDW’s release of Metal Gear Solid. Owned by Konami and created by Hideo Kojima, the Metal Gear Solid titles are perhaps one of the most successful brands in videogames.

The franchise began in 1987, with the release of Metal Gear, which debuted the FOXHOUND agent, Solid Snake, and sent him on a mission full of double-dealings and conspiracies. This was followed in 1990 with Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake in 1990, and Metal Gear Solid in 1998.

The franchise leapt into phenomenal success territory with the release of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty in 2001 for PS2. The most recent release in the series is The Twin Snakes for Nintendo’s Gamecube, with Metal Gear Solid 3 in development and slated for a November release, positioning it to be one of the holiday season's biggest games.

For many observers, moving the franchise to comics was only a matter of time, considering the large fanbase for the game inside the comic book industry, as well as Kojima’s occasional shout out to comic book creators whose work he enjoys; not to mention the MGS2 "Instruction Manga" in the MGS2 instruction book that shipped with the game.

For the IDW comic, Ashley Wood and Kris Oprisko will be the artist and writer, respectively, on the September-debuting series.

[B]The IDW/Konami press release reads: [/B}

Konami Corporation (President and CEO: Kagemasa Kozuki, headquartered in Tokyo) and IDW Publishing (President: Ted Adams, headquartered in California) have agreed to publish a comic book adaptation of Konami’s popular action game, Metal Gear Solid

The Metal Gear Solid series, developed by Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, Inc. (President: Motoyuki Yoshioka), is an innovative game that emphasizes covert action rather than just shooting your enemies. With an in-depth scenario that explores the innermost recesses of the human mind, this award-winning game series has gained international renown.

Ashley Wood and Kris Oprisko have been appointed respectively as artist and writer for the comic book version of Metal Gear Solid. With their creative talent, they will visualize the world of Metal Gear Solid from a new perspective.

Ashley Wood is a world-renowned illustrator who has worked on many comic creations including Spawn. His line of work extends from the world of comic books and has been adapted in a wide range of media including film and television. Writer Kris Oprisko has produced many popular pieces including CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

In reference to the comic book adaptation of Metal Gear Solid, Hideo Kojima, Metal Gear Solid series Director and Producer, and Vice President of Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, Inc., says,

“Personally I have always been a fan of Mr. Ashley Wood. I am very glad that Metal Gear Solid will be made into a comic with his talented artwork. I have a lot of confidence in the people at IDW Publishing who understand the world of Metal Gear Solid. I have great hope for this new development of the series through the work of these people.”

Konami is aggressively seeking to license its game content in order to strengthen its brand power.
    - With valid reason, I am very worried about this bit of news...The last time I read a comic based on a video game were (Malibu Comics) Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, back in the late 1980's. And those...sucked. The current crop of video game comics look a bit better, but I've never really looked into them. This worries me because I have pretty high standards, and I sure hell hope they don't dumb-down the comics.

Seriously, the only US comic company I'd (IMHO) trust to do a good job on an MGS comic would be Dark Horse, not Dreamwave. Even though DW has a relatively good track record with Transformers and their other works. I just don't see it--but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal Gear solid--from DreamWave Comics...-300_snakepromoart2-jpg  
    I will be changed on the road that heads on to a new dawn
    Witness the Journey Through The Decade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was excited when I saw this thread's title, but dissapointed when I saw the art posted along with it... I guess theres still hope maybe the actual comic itself will be different, but probably not...

What I liked about Yoji Shinkawa's art, and the game itself was that he used alot of real weaponry and military gear along with his characters. This artist for the comic, judgeing from the 2 pieces of art seen here, wont care at all about that. Oh well. It just might end up being a silly tried ol' action manga.

I think my Metal Gear Fan art is better.

Cool.....
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you. Some days you both walk away!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Will it be good? We'll have to see...

Sweet i can't wait!

Apparently, Kris Oprisko wrote a couple of episodes of CSI, so his writing talent isn't in question. I'd LOVE to see Yoji Shinkawa actually working on these, but Shinkawa himself has noted (in the MGS artbook, no less), that he's too flighty to dedicate himself to a comic book (i.e. retaining the exact same style throughout).

As mentioned, I'll give it a chance.

The company is Idea Design Works not DreamWave. No Manga will be in this book. IDW has alot of licensed comics including 24, Shield, CSi, and more. IDW is basically a newer version of Dark Horse.
    The choice of Ashley Wood makes alot of sense since Bill Sienkiewicz did some art for the Metal Gear Solid Game. Wood obviously being influenced by Sienkiewicz.

Thanks for the heads-up, McGee. A friend corrected me on that and I was about to edit it.

I managed to get my hands on the ashcan of issue 0, and it looks awesome.
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

The art to me looks TERRIBLE! Seriously for something as cool as MGS to have this kind of art? IT'S SO BAD THAT I WONDER IF SOMEONE ELSE CAN PLEASE DO A BETTER JOB!!!!!!!!

Seriously....
    Walk the world. There is plenty to see.

It's tipping it's hat to the art style inside of the MG:S user manual...
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

I can see how Wood's style wouldn't be everyone's cup o' tea.
    I would've went bonkers if they got Travis Charest or Adam Hughes.

Tipping a hat eh? Then they should just use it for the cover or something, I mean they have one of the best character designs and graphics in the games.. and the comic is this sludge?? This is a very stupid move. If it wasn't MGS I doubt they would be able to shift it. Granted this may be an aqquired taste. But it boggles me to thiunk of the tongue that would find this palatable.

Originally posted by ShadowerV2
    But it boggles me to thiunk of the tongue that would find this palatable.
    I take it you loathe Yoji Shinkawa's art, then.

Ashley Wood is an amazing artist - he might not be bang on for the technical heads but it's great to look at, and isn't that the point? His work is a bit out of leftfield yeah, but that's his style. And IDW are one of the hottest imprints out there - I have high hopes for this.

But I have to say that Charest would have been amazing - but I think Kilian Plunkett would have been the top choice.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

Originally posted by wavehawk
    I take it you loathe Yoji Shinkawa's art, then.

No idea who that is. But I just know I don't like the art they are using for this comic.

old Charest PSM cover
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal Gear solid--from DreamWave Comics...-psm_color_big-jpg  

ShadowerV2
    No idea who that is.
    Yoji Shinkawa does all of the poster, character, and mechanical design art (hand-drawn) for the Metal Gear series, starting with MGS. He's one of my favorite artists, and sorry for the hostile bias--I'm easily annoyed when someone bashes Shinkawa's artwork; mainly because the ones I've met who have dissed Shinkawa usually hold Rob Liefeld as the epitome of comic book art (retches).

More stuff here:
    http://yojishinkawa.com/artwork.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoji_Shinkawa

I've yet to pick up the comic, but so far I think I can accept, maybe even like the artwork. The artist is just working with the wrong tools and was trained the wrong way to imitate it.

Yoji uses Japanese brushes and has this quasi-Japanese brush style that makes it work. The guy working the comic is using Speedball pens (possibly--they're the norm). And no matter how hard you try, a finesse touch with a fine horsehair brush can't be duplicated by a metal pen nib (I know. I've tried getting away with stuff like that in my Chinese Calligraphy class---Teacher could tell at a glance. I suck at brushes.).

And Charest---oh, we wish.

Ah ok. Sorry didn't mean to bash anyone's artwork. I don't really care for Rob what's his face either. I do like this guy's (Yoji Shinkawa) artwork and if he's the one that drew the stuff in the metal gear artbooks than I do like his work.

But the thing is I prefer to have this form of art as single drawing or pictures painting and what have you. Rather than as a comic book. I would prefer that the comic have CLEAR CONCISE pictures that are good to look at. Like the Devil May Cry comic. I liked that.

But using this? For a really popular series? I really would like to see someone sell comics WITHOUT a famous name using that sort of artwork.

By the way I loved your review on the 1/6 Mononofu swords.
    Were any of the blades you had slightly warped or twisted? I had that problem with almost all of mine except the Ryoma (secret) one
    Last edited by ShadowerV2; 09-03-2004 at 02:41.

Actually, I gotta apologize more. Knee-jerk reaction and all. ^_^;;;

I only have the Hajime Saitou one, no it wasn't twisted or warped in any way; and neither was the set bought by AMFour (whom I bought the sword from). All of them are good.

BTW, there are two Ryoma Sakamoto swords. Did you manage to get the one with a pistol?

nah I got the one without the pistol.

Dang. I don't know anybody who did get the pistol version. Apparently a very rare item...

I read a sneak preview of this and... well... i wasnt impressed... i was hoping for an original story... not a remake of the video game.

Originally posted by wavehawk
    Dang. I don't know anybody who did get the pistol version. Apparently a very rare item...
    Hey was he really from the Shinsengumi? This Ryoma guy? I saw him on Peacemaker Kurogane gun and all.... he seemed like a wanted guy.

Uhm, no. Ryomasakaamoto wasn't a member of the Shinsengumi. But he is regarded as one of the most influential men in Japanese history:

http://www.baobab.or.jp/~stranger/kochi/ryoma.htm

I am a huge fan of the MGS series and I feel it is a pity that the comic was not done by Yoji Shinkawa. That being said, the work in this comic is a fairly good (though restrained) imitation.

Arch, I would die an extremely happy man if Shinkawa did a Metal Gear Solid manga. ^_^

I have dreamed of such an event too but I just dont see it happening.

Sideshow is making Ashley Wood statues based on his POPBOT series.

I found the art in the comic to be disappointing. As was mentioned, the art looks like a weak imitation of Yoji Shinkawa's work. It's too bad they didn't use Enki Bilal. He's a famous European artist who also contributed to the Art of MGS books. He definitely knows his stuff and his cleaner style of art would be more palatable to most comics fans, I think. The really loose, "messy" style they used for the comic is more appropriate to pinups & covers rather than storytelling.
    http://www.famousfigures.com
    V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.