A Few Words From Iraq...

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Words From Iraq...

Cool A Few Words From Iraq...

Greetings! I wanted to post a cool title to make it not look like an off topic post Anyway, I'm an old timer to the board, also known as Eagle_2582. Thought I could use a little change Been in Iraq for almost 8 months now! Woo Hoo! Hit Umm Qasr when the war started under 3rd ID, moved to Kuwait for a short time doing force protection, then back to Baghdad! Also was in Mosul under the 101st Airborne Div, but came back to Baghdad. The new place I'm at has internet connections, so I can pop in from time to time. I'm a military police soldier and have worked with many different units and people including British forces, 503rd MP out of Bragg, Iraqi Police Force and the list goes on. I just wanted to pop in and say hello and offer any tips or ideas you guys might wonder about us over here, I can't really add anything about SF since I'm just an MP, but anything else, just pop a question and I'll do my best! Also if anyone has any crazy requests of Iraqi items they might be interested in, let me know and I'll see what I can get a hold of! Anyway, thanks for your time guys! Just wanted to say hi and use this cool banana guy in a post!

Thanks to PukingDog for all his packages!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Real glad to hear from you Eagle!

So you want your old job back??????????
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

hey Ryan, stay safe

Yeah...umm..I'd like one of those gold plated MP5s, please

Seriously...stay safe out there...I want to see more of those MP bashes when you get back. And thanks for serving!

Thumbs up

Good to hear from you old timer, keep safe and i hope you return home soon!
    Jeff

Good to here from ya Ryan. Keep safe man, I'll have to talk to you soon when I see you on agian.

Ryaaaan! Good to here from you. I'm glad to hear you're safe, or as safe can be over there. If you need anything let us know. Course getting hookers and Beer to you may be challenging but hey! we're the 1/6th Warriors so ya never Know! Take care.

Thanks guys! If ya'll wanna send some items to myself and my unit, here's my addy:

Ryan Bonaminio
    314th Military Police Co
    APO AE 09342

My new AIM name is ArmyMP314 (original, huh!) Yea, beer is hard to come by (well, not really ), they expect us to live off Bud Non Alcoholic! Bud is nasty as it is and they give us the NA stuff! Crazy...

Drop me a line anytime! Thanks!

Hi Ryan.

Firstly glad to hear that you're safe and sound. We're all behind you back home.

We look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your bashes... but in the meantime, keep your head down and stay safe.

John
    Maintiens le Droits

hey ryan thanks for the 411 about the brits you sent me.
    stay safe and kit

Sweet, glad to hear from ya man. Good to have ya back on the board when you can.
    Oh like Chet said, want your old job back?

If you could, I would like Saddam's nuts in a jar

Glad to hear from you! With all the news coming from Iraq, its nice to hear from someone actually there. How about a iraqi beret pin!

stay safe and out of trouble.....

come back home in one piece

thetoysurgeon

Hey man be safe!!!

I've seen pictures from Afghanistan of WW2 weapons still being used. If you see anything like that shoot us some pix please!!!

Oh yeah, and catch (or whatever you want to do to him) that bastard!!!

And...I was watching the NBC evening news the other night and the reporter that was talking was standing in front of what appeared to be a SHERMAN tank!!! The glacis plate looked like a Sherman and the tank had a 5-point star on the side. Anybody else see this???
    Smell The Plastic

dubar1

when i was over there, i saw several ww2 russian weapons like ppsh41s and such...craziness

Awesome, good to hear from a guy who's in the thick of it!

You make us proud! Be safe!
    "...Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand..." - Ephesians 6:10-18

I've gotta question. It has been reported that some troops are wearing the very old, Vietnam era, OD flak jackets. Can anyone substantiate that? It was a US soldier who indicated that's what he was wearing. I just can't imagine they are still in the system.

Karl

Stay safe and come back and help us out here, Ryan!

Oh, yeah, bring enough AKs and RPGs for all the admins. Bwuahahahahahahaahaaaaa!
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Stay safe Eagle, and thank you for your service to our country.

-9life.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Ryan:
    Glad you're using all those airmile points
    As for goddies how about some Iraqi camo samples?
    xavier

Sawgunner is offline I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
    Sir: Please stay safe and post often. Hurry back.

Thanks for serving man and stay safe. How about a baghdad bob patch? Or just anything cool.

Stay safe

Hey Ryan Glad to hear that you are doing well. You guys are doing a great job over there. You have all the support of the nation as well as your brothers in arms here in Kosovo. Believe me all of us in my MP Unit here in Kosovo wish we were over there with you instead of sitting idle in this country. Who knows though it looks like we may follow up this 1 year deployment with another one immediately upon completion. Tough time to be an MP with so many hot spots. You guys should have some nice care packages coming to you compliments of the units in Kosovo and the US Army in the shape of our Up Armored HMMWV's and Interceptor vests. We dont need them here in Kosovo and shipped all most all of it to the units in Iraq back in September. Let me know what you guys think about those Up armored's. Another montha nd you wont need the AC's in them but at least they may keep the bullets away. They are slow and take a football feild to stop though. Be careful keep your head down and your ammo dry troop. Best wishes from all of us in Kosovo and the nation

Ryan,
    Stay safe and if you can shoot some pics of the equipment you MP's use I'd like to see em. My cousin is also an MP, but he got lucky and got sent to Guantanamo to watch the al-queda bastards.
    God bless brother.
    MB
    http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/underworld0919.jpg

God bless ya, brother. Keep yer eyes peeled over there and git yer ass back here safe and sound.
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Hey Ryan,

Can't believe it has been that long already. Very glad to hear you are safe and well. We got a new governor as you may know. About the only thing exciting happening here. If you can still get a hold of an hold Iraqi Dinar note with Saddam's mug on it let me know.

Edit: Ok, if you bring back an AK for PD, I would like on too.

David

Question for ya Ryan, is there any 1/6 toys over there?

We're all proud of you guys and gals! Stay safe!!

Mark D

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the support guys! We all are working hard and can't wait to get back to the USA! As for your questions, here's a few answers!

Body Armor: I personally have not seen the old Nam style vests, but I HAVE seen what looked like a solid OD PASGT vest. It was worn by an Engineer in the Nat'l Guard. According to the military 1/4 troops over here lack the new Interceptors, I didn't get mine untill we were sent into Baghdad. I started out with the PASGT. The Interceptors are so much better! Mine is woodland, I've seen the Air Force with mostly 3 color DCU Interceptors and the Marines mostly had the brownish ones. I ditched my LBV and opted for the modular pouches which I picked up from Tactical Tailor. Ranger body armor is around, but not much. It's actually quite rare to see it. I don't know how good the new Dragon Interceptors are, but I remember the ones beforeI got deployed were huge! My actual vest only goes right above my belt!

Helmet Graffiti: I know someone brought this up a bit back because of that Engineer with the Engr. castle on the side of his kevlar. Well, it's pretty common around here, though frowned upon. Most people don't make a big deal about it, but it's still unauthorized. What is common around here is getting your name embroidered on the back of your soft cap or boonie cap with your name in Arabic script above it. Some people (who deal a lot with Arabic speaking people) also add their names in Arabic to their BDU tops. Majority of the MP's around here have desert subdued MP brassards in tan with brwonish lettering have the large MP letters and above that in Arabic script the translation of what it stands for. Though the Arabic language does not have a word for military, I think it says something like Army and police, can't remember

Saddams Nuts: Well, if here were a real man, I'm sure he would have a set, but...

Weapons: I did see some older bolt action rifles the locals used when I was in Umm Qasr, the Brits were trying to trade them off ebcause they couldn't take them with em! Never saw the gold plated weapons. Those were crazy. Mostly AK's and I've seen some of the new Iraqi police with M-16A1's. It sounds like they will be carrying Glocks as their side arms. If anyone is interested in an IP kitbash

No 1/6th over here at all! It's been so long... As for goodies, I'll see what I can get my hands on for you guys and make a list for those interested. I have a handful of dinar notes with good ol' Saddam on em, so if you want one, email me and I'll see what I can do for ya

If anyone has anymore questions, do let me know!

stay safe and keep up the great job!