One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Anything or anyone in Virginia?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Raiden 
#1 ·
Just like the title says.....anything in Virginia? For that matter anyone in VA? More importantly, central VA?

#2 ·
Hi, there,

Richmonder, myself, now living in D.C. I can tell you that there is virtually nothing in the entire state and the only places you'll be able to find stuff won't be dedicated in any way really to 1/6th scale.

Crossroads Military Collectibles used to be a fantastic option. They are (or, were?) in Chase City, but their webpage is down and their online auction store is somewhat lacking in selection. I used to head down (it's close to the NC border) there about once or twice a year; fantastic drive. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it seems like they aren't operating like they used to be. Could be wrong, though...it's been a minute since I checked in with them.

In D.C., I've come across a nice little store called the Wheaton Toy Exchange, in Wheaton, Maryland. It's a totally fun place, with toys and games and collectibles from all eras. They will occasionally have up to 15 (incredibly well-priced. I mean, serious deal territory) Dragon/TUS figures in stock, but nothing from SS, DAM, etc. Again, not a huge selection, and it varies month to month, but this is the only place within a day's worth of driving that I've been able to find these things...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad-ish news. If you find somewhere else, please, please, please share. Otherwise, I feel your pain; we're in a 1/6th scale desert!

#3 ·
I kinda figured.......when I was up in NYC, there were alot of places to go, all within walking distance. I wish it was like that everywhere.

I've been toying (no pun intended) with the idea of opening my own store, always wanted a brick & mortar location......but I'd probably open an online store first. Although I hear that some companies require you to have a real store in order to ship you product (Sideshow and HT were mentioned). If that's so I may have to open my garage as the "store" and have it only open on weekends while I'm not at work. Honestly though, I don't think there are enough people in the area to make it legit store work. Kinda sad......maybe the beach but even there I don't think it would work.

#4 ·
The beach isn't a bad idea. There's certainly enough tourism, military-themed as well.

Living in DC may have jaded me a bit, but my impression is that people are always coming in and out of the city for one reason or another. Business trips, family vacations, etc. I honestly think there could be enough interest locally (even if the patrons are 'temporary') that a small-scale, semi-permanent 'brick & mortar' seems totally feasible. If you're visiting the city, why not pop by Raiden's while you're in town? And, if you wanna take a trip somewhere, why not go to the nation's capital? There's a million reasons to visit here, but being able to pop by Raiden's would be the icing on the cake!

This is all in addition to the people who already live here. From what I've seen and experienced, around 9,000 billion people between the ages of 18 and 30 live here...there are jobs here. Since the city was generally unaffected by recent financial unpleasantness, there's the combination of disposable income and countless kids like me, who would spend $200 on a HT captain america or a DAM seal and think it's the coolest thing ever.

Particularly during the summer in the touristy market setting; there are plenty of options (Eastern Market or the Georgetown Flea or something like that). I think there's great potential in that. Maybe setting up a booth one weekend at something like this could be an interesting first step? To gauge interest even?

I could dream about this idea for days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.