Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    *Yes, yes. I've left my cozy little nook at SSF & ventured to the dark side, OSW*

    Okay, so I am currently in the process of setting up a shop in Aus (YAY!)

    I've always been frustrated at how there are no proper dealers here, & how we always have to resort to buy from the US or ebayers from HK. So I thought I'd do it myself; create a store (& website) not unlike Toys2, AlterEgo, CornerStore (without the CC fraud, of course!), & to a lesser extent, Sideshow!

    Eventually, I (hopefully) will have a direct HT account in addition to Sideshow, so I can offer lower retail prices & faster shipping (as if you were buying straight from HK). Newsletters, comps, rewards points & all that are going to be intergrated into the site.

    Anyway, enough of my rambling, the point of this post is to just find out:how many Australians are on this forum; if there is demand for a proper dealer in Aus (I think the answer to that is a definate YES); & where you guys currently get (most) of your goodies from?

    I look forward to the (hopeful) results of this little marketing research I've got going here!
    (And if you've already read this at the Freak's, I am so, so sorry! LOL)

    Cheers!

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    brisbane/australia
    Posts
    5

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Sound's good im in Brisbane would be interested in Hot Toy's figure's,
    Not a great deal of 1/6 here,D.I.D would be good to get hold of as well.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    I'm in Sydney & an enthusiastic buyer , there's a heap of us here @ OSW.. There is a huge shortage of gear here in Oz, as you yourself would know - I say - I have bought from the following,

    Hobbypro - St Mary's NSW
    Military Workshop - Brisbane
    Battlebridgebooks - Parramatta
    Ozie Goods - Maroubra, NSW
    Figures direct
    Pop Cultcha
    Ebay - Far too many to list - Many from Hong Kong
    OSW! - yep have done some great deals & picked up some good figures here from fellow members.
    Astro Hobby - Chinatown Sydney - Now Closed
    Astro Hobby - QVB - Sydney

    I would say if it's in Australia & i'm aware of it i have spent coin there!

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Well it's certainly nice to see that there a few of us on here - pretty quiet over at SSF. Just another thing, probably should've mentioned this before, but am thinking of primarily doing Sideshow & Hot Toys. Now I know this board is mainly military collectibles, and I take it from the stores you listed Gamilaroi, they're all military related?
    But keep the feedback coming, as I said, the freaks aren't been particularly helpful!

    Cheers!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    No not all military related - Ozie goods is a Hot Toys dealer. I have some HT Terminator & the odd HT military figure. Plenty of SS stuff. http://www.oziegoods.com/products.asp?id=15

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Sorry, yes Oziegoods aren't ALL military - I've bought a few hard-to-find things from them. But it seems they don't get that many NEW items in. Their website definitely needs to be updated! Their eBay store has a few new items & pre-orders.......no Sideshow, pretty much all HT.

    Pop Cultcha is pretty much the closest thing to a proper SS & HT dealer here. But they are WAY over-priced. Mainly because they buy from Ikon Collectables here, instead of directly from SS. But PC is just a site, no storefront, right?

    Figures Direct are pretty good. Don't like their ordering system of sending an order form though. Seems they've got quite a few of the new HT pre-orders; but their prices are still very high!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia (The Land Down Under)
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserFan View Post
    *Yes, yes. I've left my cozy little nook at SSF & ventured to the dark side, OSW*

    Okay, so I am currently in the process of setting up a shop in Aus (YAY!)

    I've always been frustrated at how there are no proper dealers here, & how we always have to resort to buy from the US or ebayers from HK. So I thought I'd do it myself; create a store (& website) not unlike Toys2, AlterEgo, CornerStore (without the CC fraud, of course!), & to a lesser extent, Sideshow!

    Eventually, I (hopefully) will have a direct HT account in addition to Sideshow, so I can offer lower retail prices & faster shipping (as if you were buying straight from HK). Newsletters, comps, rewards points & all that are going to be intergrated into the site.

    Anyway, enough of my rambling, the point of this post is to just find out:how many Australians are on this forum; if there is demand for a proper dealer in Aus (I think the answer to that is a definate YES); & where you guys currently get (most) of your goodies from?

    I look forward to the (hopeful) results of this little marketing research I've got going here!
    (And if you've already read this at the Freak's, I am so, so sorry! LOL)

    Cheers!


    Yeah Dude count me in !!!! Have you seen my Hot Toys & Sideshow Museum inb Adelaide? I'll definitely buy a case load from U !!! check this out ::
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ot+toys+museum
    Steve
    What's up DOC ???
    Wanna a house call?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Agent View Post
    Yeah Dude count me in !!!! Have you seen my Hot Toys & Sideshow Museum inb Adelaide? I'll definitely buy a case load from U !!! check this out ::
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ot+toys+museum
    Steve


    Bloody nice collection Secret Agent! - I'd never seen your post on your collection, awesome stuff. We also need our own homegrown 1/6 regular publication..
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 07-18-2009 at 10:05.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    WOW! Very thorough collection there, Secret Agent. Thanks for the support!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Posts
    3,568

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    This is the one area that frustrations collectors the most: lack of nearby stores to 'window shop'. Good luck in your venture and hope you succeed.
    Molon Labe

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Too right!

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    From what I can see on the Hot toys site:

    http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?...age_id=contact

    under their contacts page, don't they already have Australian Distributors?

    Oziegoods, who I've bought Hot Toys items from them plenty of times, have always told me they are the Hot Toys distributor for Australia

    the most recent figure I bought from them was a T-700, isn't that a new figure? I thought I got it as a really good price too


  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by 16scale View Post
    From what I can see on the Hot toys site:

    http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?...age_id=contact

    under their contacts page, don't they already have Australian Distributors?

    Oziegoods, who I've bought Hot Toys items from them plenty of times, have always told me they are the Hot Toys distributor for Australia

    the most recent figure I bought from them was a T-700, isn't that a new figure? I thought I got it as a really good price too

    So - There is nothing wrong with having more than one supplier - frankly it would be better to have some healthy competiton. I have noticed you only have six posts on these boards and three of them are recommending oziegoods - Hot Toys have "A" distributor in Australia . No offence to Rod, as i have said before i have bought from him & he is a nice bloke, I would suggest your a friend of Rod's? I really hope Chaser Fan can get his business of the ground - and if there is anyway i can support that i would - Good luck Chaser fan - I say DO IT! Let me be your 1st customer!
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 07-20-2009 at 20:13.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamilaroi View Post
    So - There is nothing wrong with having more than one supplier - frankly it would be better to have some healthy competiton. I have noticed you only have six posts on these boards and three of them are recommending oziegoods - Hot Toys have "A" distributor in Australia . No offence to Rod, as i have said before i have bought from him & he is a nice bloke, The site is never updated & i would suggest your a friend of Rod's? I really hope Chaser Fan can get his business of the ground - and if there is anyway i can support that i would - Good luck Chaser fan - I say DO IT! Let me be your 1st customer!
    Im sorry you want to jump all over someone who is just expressing their opinon.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by 16scale View Post
    Im sorry you want to jump all over someone who is just expressing their opinon.
    No sorry - I am not jumping over you - just expressing "my" opinion, please don't be offended that was not my intentions. I merely suggested you are a friend and that 50% of your posts recommend Ozie goods - that to me shows an interest in a dealer not a hobby - Is that "jumping" over someone? If i offended you i apologise.
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 07-20-2009 at 21:02.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamilaroi View Post
    No sorry - I am not jumping over you - just expressing "my" opinion, please don't be offended that was not my intentions. I merely suggested you are a friend and that 50% of your posts recommend Ozie goods - that to me shows an intesrest in a dealer not a hobby - Is that "jumping" over someone? If i offended you i apologise.
    So, your saying just because I pointed out on Hot Toys site they have a distributor for Australia, when chaser fan reckons there are no dealers or distributors for Australia or "real" dealers and that I share my buying experience with Oziegoods when the topic comes up that I have an interest in a dealer? Just because the times I have bought from Rod I have been happy with the service and price, means I can't express that and make a point about another post which is trying to say otherwise?

    I don't think you should infer a satisfied customer is a friend, when you do not know otherwise.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by 16scale View Post
    So, your saying just because I pointed out on Hot Toys site they have a distributor for Australia, when chaser fan reckons there are no dealers or distributors for Australia or "real" dealers and that I share my buying experience with Oziegoods when the topic comes up that I have an interest in a dealer? Just because the times I have bought from Rod I have been happy with the service and price, means I can't express that and make a point about another post which is trying to say otherwise?

    I don't think you should infer a satisfied customer is a friend, when you do not know otherwise.
    Fair enough pal. As an Australian 1/6 hobby enthusiest - If anything we should be supporting fellow members like Chaser starting up a business for our own interests. Chaser doesn't say there are no dealers he says there are no "proper" dealers. The fact is we need to embrace and support anything that remotely helps the hobby grow in Australia. Anyway enough to and fro Banter - Again good luck Chaser on your business endevours - keep us posted mate.
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 07-20-2009 at 21:54.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    My understanding is that Oziegoods are a local store who happens to stock Hot Toys. There may be some claims that they are "the" local distributor for HT but then we don't know if they are "the exclusive" distributor or simply "a" distributor (since Ikon is there as well, the latter makes more sense).

    Having said that, I've bought from them occasionally.

    I get the majority of my stuff from the following places, mostly US-based because you can develop a good relationship with them if you buy regularly and they don't rip you off like the HKers:

    Viking Playground (HT, Sideshow, Soldier Story, Triad, Toys City)
    Kerenza (eBay, but US-based) - (Soldier Story, DiD, Toys City, Some HT Mil)
    Azteca aka PointPlankToys - (Mostly loose parts, some boxed DiD, Soldier Story, HT figs)
    rscustomtoys - (DML mostly, some cheap Sideshow)

    In Australia:
    1911williams (James) - Australian One-Sixth (ebay) - (Barrack Sgt, loose parts)
    oziegoods (HT and TS)
    Popcultcha (only Sideshow stuff on sale) - They have a storefront in Geelong. I forgot the B&M store name, it's basically like Minotaur Books.
    Minotaur Books (B&M retail, Melb) - A couple of Sideshow figs that have been hard to source anywhere else (overpriced).
    Casefresh (Aussie Web Store) - (Only Star Wars Sideshow and a couple Medicom SW - when things are on sale - used to get a lot of 4" Star Wars stuff from them.)

    There are a few places in HK I've bought from. Minibarbie for a few specific parts would be the only one worth mentioning since I started buying from the above US guys.

    Really though, in order to get my business, you're primarily competing with the 4 US retailers listed at the top there. Between them I can get almost anything, fast, and at a good price, and I've been treated extrordinarily well as a customer by all four.

    Speaking for myself only, simply being a local Aussie retailer with "about the same" prices would no longer do enough for me to make me buy from someone other than those four. And it's still mail-order to Melb whether it's from QLD or NYC.

    Not to be a damper, just being very honest.

    cheers mate, and good luck with it. I'll keep an eye out.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by 16scale View Post
    chaser fan reckons there are no dealers or distributors for Australia or "real" dealers
    Okay, 16scale, don't put words in my mouth! As Gamilaroi said, I said "there are no proper dealers here". When I say "proper dealer" I mean someone that stocks pretty much ALL of HT's stuff. Sure Oziegoods stocks HT, but only some of it. Their website hasn't been updated for, what it looks like, at least a year. The only place it seems they sell NEW stuff is on they're eBay store - even then, they only have a few pre-orders up. I mean, on their website, they list their products primarily in USD$; why do that when your customers are Australian!? To me, the only reason they are on HT website (they weren't listed on their old website two weeks ago) is because they have an account with HT - that doesn't mean they are the 'Official Australian HT Distributor', they just happen to buy a few things from them.

    Go look at Toys2 and you'll get what what I'm talking about in terms of a 'proper dealer'.

    Rant over!

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    You say there are no proper dealers here in Australia right? and another way to say the same thing would be "there are no dealers or distributors for Australia or 'real' dealers" because that dont carry every thing listed on Hot Toys site?

    but the proof is there are two Australian dealers on Hot Toys site, on their official site.

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    81

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    I've bought from most of the sites/stores listed above.
    I have a few soldier story, bbi etc figures but now I'm pretty much focused on HT movie and military and Sideshow star wars, LOTR, Indy etc.

    Would love to see some local competition. Majority of my purchases are from China/HK or US ebayers, so if you could offer rrp (or below - check vikingplayground as a guide) pricing and then charge realistic/actual shipping I'd be there quick smart.

    I haven't bought any more figures from oziegoods since I was charged US$15 for a AU$6 postbox with nothing inside to stop the box banging around, no padding/newspaper/bubblewrap, nothing.

    Good luck, I'll keep my eye out.

  24. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by 16scale View Post
    You say there are no proper dealers here in Australia right? and another way to say the same thing would be "there are no dealers or distributors for Australia or 'real' dealers" because that dont carry every thing listed on Hot Toys site?

    but the proof is there are two Australian dealers on Hot Toys site, on their official site.
    Mate, you should probably either give up while you're behind. That or pick up some reading comprehension. He's pretty clearly talking about places that stock HT's entire line rather than selected items.

    Additionally, 7 of your current 9 posts are about how great oziegoods are (one of the other two is about pred figures, and the other is nominating Mike, from oziegoods for a KOTM. Your first post ever was in a thread where I myself was having a difficulty with Rod.

    You however, are doing oziegoods more harm than good at the moment, because no-one likes a shill.

    To help out on what that is, it's when the only reason you post on OSW is to promote a specific retailer, then you're shilling. FWIW, I don't personally believe that you're either Rod or Mike. I don't think Rod would bother, and Mike has his own account here that does more good than harm to the business.

    To clarify my own position, I have no beef with oziegoods, and in fact I've been picking up some stuff from oziegoods via Mike lately, who has been good and fast on the communication and not having any issues.

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    88

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Hi guys,

    John (azazel) let me know about this thread, I thought I should make a post.

    Thanks for the support 16scale, But I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

    ChaserFan I wish you luck with your shop and website, It seems to me your really passionate about this hobby and there's nothing wrong with competition

    What I think is that, In terms of this hobby, In Australia we should doing everything we can to make it grow, Because I'd rather see a thriving hobby then a dead one.
    www.mikestoyblog.com - Toy/Collectible figure review website www.oziegoods.com - Australian Toy/Collectible figure distributor/retailer

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mackay, Australia
    Posts
    190

    Thumbs up Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia



    Mate you will have my support!!!!

    It is really needed here Down Under, I think the more exposure to the hobby the better!!

    I live in Mackay, Queensland and there isn't any place I can get 1:6 from locally.
    I either have to travel to Brisbane or search ebay for over priced figures.
    I am relatively new to the hobby, but I feel I have a fantastic collection that I am proud of. My wife (like most others!) on the other hand is not!!

    I collect movie (mainly) and comic related figures. All of which come from overseas. So if you are going to do this - mate I am all for it!!


  27. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    OMG! Thankyou everyone! It is FANTASTIC to actually see that there IS support for this; you guys are really taking alot of stress off my mind, THANKYOU!

    And thanks Mike, we both want to do this hobby proud!

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Halfway There
    Posts
    3,824

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Shaggy View Post
    This is the one area that frustrations collectors the most: lack of nearby stores to 'window shop'. Good luck in your venture and hope you succeed.
    If there was a store in or near Syracuse or Camillus I would buy A lot more 1/6. But sadly there is not.
    "Land of the free because of the brave."
    Trade references
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ldiermp44.html

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    120

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    If you are going to offer lower prices and a great range, you have my support.
    Australia seemes to get shafted in price and availability when it comes to collectible hobbies. Took me a long time to find a decent comic book dealer. Now if my other passion for action figures can be supplimented I'll be a happy man.
    I checked out the Hot Toys, way outta my price range, I like the stuff from Dragon or Elite Force. Although Dragon focuses WAY too much on German figures. Need more British and at least 1 Aussies soldier.
    Last edited by Milesy88; 10-05-2009 at 03:18.

  30. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    852

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    mate I would be in on this . and as a side note , I have offered my services before to others in your position .
    I am the manager of a large freight forwarding company , and would gladly offer any assistance with your shipping rates and services . We have offices in every major country so we have them all taken care off .
    even if I cant help I would still love to have another dealer in Australia .
    would you be offering any loose parts ?

  31. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    120

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    would gladly shop with anyone local, providing they stay competitive, not just price, but the good old postage as well. (here is where i pass on the oziegoods debate). Would love to buy loose parts at less shipping than actual cost of goods. Would also bow down to ANYONE who could supply decent slouch hats, badges and unit colour patches! while we are at it, vietnam giggle hats, anything aussie issue, not just bashed brit or us!

  32. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    351

    Re: Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia

    well me I am in perth and there is bugger all over here cept for empire memorabillia who really charge a lung for hot toys figures and tactics who only have the 1/6th dragon ww2 line but nothing else.

    Be great if there was a walk in shop closer to where I live which is Rockingham. so if you do open up a shop count me in as a buyer(when I have the money)

Similar Threads

  1. New Product | Hot Toys - MMS272D08 - Iron Man 3: Hot Rod (Mark XXII)(Hot Toys Exclusive)
    By ZIPCOOLO in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-09-2014, 11:30
  2. New Product | Hot Toys - MMS271 - Star Wars: Shadow Trooper (Hot Toys Exclusive)
    By ZIPCOOLO in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 23:07
  3. REVIEW: Hot Toys Hot Angel SHE-PREDATOR, MACHIKO
    By crowinghorse in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 21:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Sideshow & Hot Toys Collecting In Australia
[X]