Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

The workbench room has been a little tight lately with several irons in the fire. I really need to dedicate some room for just the RC's.

After breaking out the slide rule and taking a few measurements I decided on a full 4X8 sheet of plywood to get started.

I opted for a sheet of 1/2" sanded on one side and bolstered it with a full 2X4 frame on the underside.

I used screws throughout (I was really dying to use my pocket jig for the first time!).

I used lathe strips for the wall frame work, they worked out to close to a 2X10 scale. My buddy said, "wall studs, really?" Yea.... something has to hold the wall board up!

Easy rider in the photo for a scale reference. That's a 12" Clint Eastwood on a 1/6 chopper.

This side wall will have a roll up door and a man door.

As mentioned I have several projects that I'm messing with, Putting the final bow tie on the orange crush

Tying up the loose ends on the military version,

Trying to get outside the box on an independent suspension for one of my trailers, and moding three more drivers with an articulating head.

With the framing in place I thought it needed a window across the back wall.

A stairway leading up to a mezzanine. You can also see where I have cross drilled holes on all of the wall studs, that should help a bunch when it comes time to run the wiring.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

Wow

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

super big project but very very well done with master hands warmly congratulations after

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Magnificent!! I only wish i had the place and the money to create something similar.

One is bigger than 1/6 scale, but that does'nt matter !

Wow, this is one work of art. Very excited to see the finished product.

But I'd like more info on the 1/6 crawler.

Did you use a kit or custom build it?
    What shell did you use?
    What motor is installed on the crawler?

That servo mounted Statham sculpt is too cool!

Thanks,
    Shawn

this is gonna be so cool, post your updates on this mega-project as often as you can!

Wow! Can't wait to see more photos of the progress build...
    "Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime". Galland

DAMN!! That is not a garage, it's a warehouse!!!

Fantastic!! I love to see 1/1 carpentry skills utilized in 1/6th!! "cross-drilled holes for wiring" !!!!
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm trying to get to the point where I can "move in" by the weekend. I'll be off grid for a couple of weeks so don't think I've disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by djshawno View Post

What shell did you use?

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Both of these Jeeps are crawlers (two more in the wings waiting for the time, and one RC trike - that will be really cool!)

GI Joe Jeeps are great platforms for custom building an RC. No kits are out there, just you and a blank slate! I have heard of some RC builders selling their Jeeps but usually they are not finished or they are completely roached.

The orange Jeep is a Formative International. It was my first attempt at a custom built RC (The Hasbro are a much better choice with way more detail and more realistic lines and proportion to the 41 Willy's). Basically you just start with the Willy"s body and take it as far as you want using popular and readily available RC parts and gear. Orange Crush used Tamiya Clodbuster axles that were donated from said RC that I purchased back in '87. After I used it up she sat on a shelf for the past 25 years till I swerved into these Jeeps.

The motors for the orange one are Holmes Hobbies hand turned 54t's (two, one on each axle) wired in parallel with the axles locked. All four tires will turn no matter what and with the gearing it will move the 18 pounds straight up if it can get the traction.

The Hasbro I tried to keep it as stock (body wise) as I could. but under the hood I have two 35 turn Axial motor chained together - I'm almost ready to give it a smoke test after I install the roll bar and an articulated driver.

Here is a quick video of Jason in action

<a href="<iframe width=" 480"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UvueI0iq3Zg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">">"><a href="<iframe width=" 640"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G67zY3ltFu8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">

I must be on double secret probation. My latest post requires a moderator approval...

Quote Originally Posted by djshawno View Post
    Wow, this is one work of art. Very excited to see the finished product.

What shell did you use?

Thanks,
    Shawn

Shawn, skip on over to https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-joe-jeep.html to see the build threads of my GI Joe Jeeps.

My advice is DON"T DO IT!!! You will get hooked on them and all life will cease as you know it.

Thanks again to all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter End View Post
    Shawn, skip on over to https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-joe-jeep.html to see the build threads of my GI Joe Jeeps.

My advice is DON"T DO IT!!! You will get hooked on them and all life will cease as you know it.
    Thanks for the build specs and the link.

And Thanks for the warning on the R/C jeeps, lol, but it's too late I already got bit bad by the R/C bug a few years ago.

I hope to start a R/C project with a Nylint 1/6 crawler, as soon as I sell off some of my 1/6 collection.
    Stay tuned.

I found some .060 plastic wallboard at Home Depot that seemed to be exactly what I needed for the walls.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

This is really awesome. You should be posting this on the main board--general discussion so more people can see your fantastic work!
    Love the realistic way you've created the walls, and judging by those weights and the space in the 1:1 garage it must be a massive thing to behold.
    Look forward to seeing your work progress!
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

Quote Originally Posted by saiko View Post
    This is really awesome. You should be posting this on the main board--general discussion so more people can see your fantastic work!
    Love the realistic way you've created the walls, and judging by those weights and the space in the 1:1 garage it must be a massive thing to behold.
    Look forward to seeing your work progress!

Thanks Saiko, Greg suggested the same thing. I'm not sure If I should repost the thread, copy and paste or have a moderator merge?

Hmm good points, I wouldn't mind a super long thread of just your pics and notes but at the same time the thread as a whole is informative because of the questions asked and your answers posed.
    I would imagine a mod wouldn't mind moving it for you when they have a moment. Wouldn't hurt to ask

Waiting for the glue to dry on some trim pieces I had an epiphany... since I needed a shop clock It just made sense I should build one out of one of my Willy's stock tire and wheels. Installed the battery and off it went!

...and while the glue was drying on that I wrapped up a new head articulating co-pilot, no clothes yet - some on the way - man were they expensive. It was a bit tricky to fit a servo inside the female frame but mission accomplished.

**Pro tip! 1/6 females are as expensive as 1/1** just sayin.

And mod finished on the next driver of my 41 military

Last update of the night, computer monitor.

Well, back from a little R&R down in Baja and I've been chompin at the bit to get back to finishing a few projects. In between unpacking the suitcases I cut a sheet of plexiglass for the window and set it in place.

I'll finish trimming it out tomorrow, but threw a little sunset in the back to give me a garage with a view It does look very cool back-lit.

A little more progress this week.

Rollin in the box

A little 1/6 scale of the 1/6 scale! Yea it is a working RC very cool to see it drive around him when he has a TX in hand. I'll shoot a video of it this week.

Wheelin the torch over.

I got the bottles last year off ebay but made the cart. I made some run-of-the-mill tire and wheels for it but ran into these little mags I had from a project 15 or 20 years ago and tried um on for size.

I have to find a spot for my roached bullet ridden hwy 66 sign.

In case you were wondering what the hole to the right of the window was for.

Working on an air compressor today. I had a mini compressor from a previous project, but needed to size things up for this build.

The main part (the tank) was easy enough using a water bottle.

Kind of hard to make out the details of the top and air pipe, but here it is anyway.

Roughing out a base support.

Compressor and regulator mounted, wired and plumbed.

This will fit in nicely into the corner and plumbed into the air system. I'll come up with a decal and data plate to finish it off.

I needed to scale up a welder, so I started with a welding cart. I searched around the interwebs for one to loosely base one off of.

To scale up the ground clamp I made it similar to the Jumper cables I made last year (cutting down some alligator clips and adding handles.

A made a new welding gun, installed the retaining chain for the gas bottle and pieced it all together.

I had originally painted the buzz box blue and was going to hang some Miller logo on it, but the blue turned out too dark, so I stripped it and hit it with the red and a Lincoln Electric patch.

I needed to have a welding helmet in the mix

This was my first effort at the head strap. In the end I opted to redesign it and screw it in place directly.

Man oh man you have been busy cranking out the awesome!

Ooh, love the novel bits you've added to your garage. Is everything scratch made?
    I really like the ground clamps. Need to make myself some jumper cables or something eventually :P
    Real nice work all around!

Quote Originally Posted by saiko View Post
    Ooh, love the novel bits you've added to your garage. Is everything scratch made?
    I really like the ground clamps. Need to make myself some jumper cables or something eventually :P
    Real nice work all around!

The Snap-on box is obviously not, the welder proper is from a 1/10 scale project (in pieces, I had just needed the louvered panel so that needed to be refurbish and rebuilt) luckily welders come in all shapes and sizes so I just needed to up scale the accessories to a 1/6 size. The compressor pump was being used as a vacuum pump in a steampunk desk art in a previous life, so it will now live on as a full size standup air compressor pump for a while.

Those items could be reconstructed out of styrene easy enough, but I love to re-purpose things and not have to reinvent the wheel when it's just sitting there on the workbench.

As a side note; I absolutely love the stretchy silicone tube material. I have been using it anywhere I need hose, line or electrical cabling. I found it at Joanns in the necklace building section.

Ten or so years ago I was going to make some stop motion shorts on a 1/6th scale and collected a ton of stuff in the process, so I'm hoping to utilize as much of it as I can. But, whatever I don't have that I need, I'll try and make.

Those jumper cable were pretty simple; You just need to cut back the nose of the alligator clip, then roll the nose down. The short leg of the clip can be fitted around any piece of round stock, cut to the proper length then heat a piece of shrink tube over it, Easy peasey... and they would actually work!

Time to slide in a couple of work benches.

I picked up some flat bar and round stock at the local hardware store and cobbled together a two different length workbenches.

I buffed out the bench tops, I'm not sure if I will leave them bare or paint them. In the pacific northwest the steel has a tendency to rust if left unprotected.

So the wife came out to the garage yesterday and took a look around.

What are building out here?

I see, what are you going to do with it when you're done....

Women....