Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

Re: Bitter End's 1/6 Scale Garage

Stunningly awesome, just magnificent attention to detail. You sir, are a master!
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sixth Scale View Post
    Stunningly awesome, just magnificent attention to detail. You sir, are a master!
    Thanks for the kind words, just havin a little fun with it.

My mop turned out better than I had expected and only took a couple of minutes. It was a trial run with a too short of a wooden dowel. I'll hang this one up somewhere and make another with the proper length handle.

Bruce! Why so serious?

BitterEnd,

Simply amazing work! Your creativity and craftsmanship is out of this world! My favorite part about following your threads is the fact that I can actually see so many of my endless ideas/projects come to life showing its possible and that I could only hope it turns out half as amazing as yours!

I must ask, where can the mini working rc's be found, and/or any other helpful details?

I'll be subscribing to plenty of your builds, and may have a handful of questions in the future.

Once again, simply astonishing work, and thank you for keeping me motivated and showing me what is truly possible in the amazing 1:6 world!

MC

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey MC,

There are a couple of layers to your question about the mini RC.

First is the controller; the real one and the scale one.

The real 2 channel radio is small is size but is still way too large to be passed of as usable by a 1/6.

As a platform for the scale TX, I cut out a section of a 1/6 shotgun then added the components out of styrene as needed to have it resemble a full size; like the battery compartment, electronics, and the antenna. I also borrowed a wheel from a donor Hot Wheels for the steering wheel.

Taking a close look it, it's now easy to see the the grip section, but on first glance I think it looks pretty true to the shape and size at scale.

There are lots of different styles and sizes to choose from on eBay

1:60 Mini RC Radio Remote Control Pickup Monster Truck and Jeep | eBay

Good luck and happy hunting!

I ran across some poplar down at the local hardware store, it looked pretty close to the door opening that I had framed in (less cuts +++). As luck would have it, it was a perfect fit! After a few one eyed squints with my thumb in the way it started to take shape.

Poplar is a pretty soft wood so chiseling out a spot for the hinges to live was easy enough... measure once, cut twice!

I test fit of the trim pieces and it's ready to put together.

Lastly, I clamped everything up so the glue will dry and all of the pieces will stay put.

I left it dry overnight and unclamped it the next morning.

I think it will work out fine. I had zero room to spare sliding it into place. Here is a shot from the outside of the garage.

I was also able to finish off the safe tonight (one more thing on a growing list to cross off)!

I concealed the safe with a hinged cork-board; using a thin piece of metal glued to the back of the cork-board and strong magnets on the backside of the wallboard. It stays closed tight til your swing it open.

I've been toying around with different garage art for a while, so tonight I printed some up and scaled it down to the right size. I wanted it to be a little more than taping a picture to the wall, so I mounted them to some .060 styrene.

I mounted a few pieces up on the wall, I hope it works out because that 3M industrial two sided tape is there for keeps, it doesn't like to give up anything that you've attached it to.

Thank you for the Intel! I'll definitely be looking into some of those! I appreciate it! That remote is stunning, I love the ingenuity that went into it! You rock.

As for your safe, door, and signage, absolutely superb! Watching this build makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning, full of excitement to see what's next.

Cheers,

MC

A new project for the shop this week, and taking up way too many man (or woman) hours!

What man cave would be complete without a lift for his scoot?

Yes, swivel castors!

I think I'm ready to tear it down for paint. I'll be pounding the dents out of the lift top later today while the paint dries then it will be ready for final assembly and some detail work. I think I have found a new favorite medium - brass!

I need to run a couple of power wires and a plug in tomorrow and it's a wrap.

I really need to get the power plant nailed down on this garage. I have an old power supply from a long gone computer that should supply voltage across the spectrum so I can start putting in the lights.

Absolutely astonishing Bitter End!

I've wanted to make something similar for my 1/6 quad, and another for my scale snowmobiles. I just had no clue where to start! You've certainly shown me it's totally doable. I thank you for that!

I shall get to mine hopefully this summer.

MC

Awesome bike lift, is it going to work as well. Anyway I shall take inspiration from yours for one in my garage.
    Cheers

Thanks, we all drink from the same universal pool of inspiration!

Amen to that!

MC

It's been a few days since I updated any progress to my garage. I've been doing a major upgrade on my SCX10 JK and working out a power supply for the garage.

One of the accessories that I put together was a 1/6 land anchor for the Wiley's. I always love to work with fire!

Now the power supply project hasn't gone nearly as smooth as I had hoped. What should have been easy peasy has turned out to be a little bit of a head scratcher. I had this old computer power supply laying around for years and in the dark resecces of my feeble mind it was a good to go unit from bygone years when I built my own computers. In hindsight I should have verified it wasn't DOA before I started. But I'm committed to using a set up like this to put lights and action to work in the garage. A little troubleshooting will hopefully figure it out.

Duped by a cold solder joint, all is well! Bitter End Municipal Power is now open for business.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn, this is just sooooooooooo COOL!!!!
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

Gosh, that lift came out beautifully. Just like 1:1 and built by your hands.
    Love watching your shop come together with every new post from you.

I admit my brain shut down when I got to the transformer bit. Wiring and electric is not part of my vocab just yet x.x
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

Quote Originally Posted by unklian View Post
    Awesome bike lift, is it going to work as well. Anyway I shall take inspiration from yours for one in my garage.
    Cheers
    Thanks, that was a great project and addition to the garage. As far as working; it has about three inches of motion before the cylinder (scale shock absorber from my 1/10 gear) runs out of throw. The safety lock bars work as it moves across each safety peg it can lock in at any point of travel and the nylon wheels do turn and roll.

The front wheel locking mechanism completely folds out as a 1:1 and back up again to lock in the front tire and wheel assembly securing the bike on the workbench. So to answer your question; sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixth Scale View Post
    Mannnnnnnnnnnn, this is just sooooooooooo COOL!!!!
    Thanks! I'm enjoying stretching my grey cells trying to figure out how to make the next piece.

Quote Originally Posted by saiko View Post
    Gosh, that lift came out beautifully. Just like 1:1 and built by your hands.
    Love watching your shop come together with every new post from you.

I admit my brain shut down when I got to the transformer bit. Wiring and electric is not part of my vocab just yet x.x
    Yea the power supply is a boring piece of gear and will be hid from view, but I think you will dig what it will do in the very near future. Without it I would be just a static display (which can be cool in and of itself) but with the ability to light, turn, move and rotate, the dio moves to the next level of scale smoke and mirrors!

I should have posted this snap with the rest. It shows a better view of the front tire/wheel locking assembly. Actually my favorite part of the lift build. I used brass brads for the hinge pins with the smallest touch of solder on the shaft of them to hold them into the swivel point.

And as a sneak peek - You can see in the background a small acrylic fish tank I put together (waiting for the power to be turned on so a light hood can be built and powered up!)

After Easter dinner I was tinkering around with some LED lighting and got sidetracked for a moment with a couple of fun projects. I know that they don't look like much on their own but as I add layer after layer of small little details my hope is it will add up to something worth while in the end.

One of my Easter guests wondered out to the garage and saw me mounting the trophy fish, looked around at the rest of the scale garage and asked, "you're not going to make it talk... are you?" Ha, that was funny.

If you are looking for a quick and easy way to put together a 1/6 fire extinguisher, this is it, a spent CO2 cartridge and an alligator clip, easy peasy.

Last edited by Bitter End; 04-06-2015 at 17:13.

Man door finished and ready to reinstall.

This is cool. Are you going to add a safety strap to the bike lift? I remember my brother knocking his bike over once and always using the strap after that. This is very inspiring band cool. Thanks for all the behind the scenes pictures.
    I came, I saw, I went home happy.
    Trade references:https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=84603

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
    This is cool. Are you going to add a safety strap to the bike lift? I remember my brother knocking his bike over once and always using the strap after that. This is very inspiring band cool. Thanks for all the behind the scenes pictures.

I ran across some scale ratchet straps last month but they were very expensive so I passed. I haven't tried to build them myself yet (they are on my ever growing two page "to do" list), but come on Big Dave... tie down straps? That would just be way over the top!

Thanks for the kind words, have a great day!

I wish I could remember what artisan I got the door knob, light switch and outlet plates, I would love to give him/her credit (I can't even find the website again...). I was surfing along and found a 1/6 scale high lift jack and purchased it, but I noticed there were several other bits and bobs for sale so I ordered up a few samples.

I colored these in a silver, I think they will work out great.

"There is no better friend...
    and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Cool stuff there devil dog, looks like we think along the same lines. I had to chuckle when I saw your rust projects. I've got a Wiley's body on stands getting a little rust treatment for the garage as well.

I installed a little plumbing section of airline and added a few outlets today. my garage had guests and I didn't have much time to accomplish much, and spending way too much time and money on my SCX10 JK.

First OMG!!! you need to move to Dallas so we can combine DIO's and R/C projects I have over 40 vehicles in the fleet. Second can we see about getting this posted in the General section? I would have never seen this if I didnt do a search of something and stumbled across it.
    “What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil”

Quote Originally Posted by vapor1 View Post
    First OMG!!! you need to move to Dallas so we can combine DIO's and R/C projects I have over 40 vehicles in the fleet. Second can we see about getting this posted in the General section? I would have never seen this if I didnt do a search of something and stumbled across it.

Thanks vapor, I don't know how to make that happen. 40 vehicles, holy smokes! I'd need more room!