Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.

Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.

So I got some bamboo placemats (~$2 each) and find they make great base material for anything using wooden planks. Each piece of bamboo is 5mm wide. That's a little thin for 1/6 flooring but I don't care, it looks good to me.

I cut through the placemat backing with an Xacto knife, then I burnt off the excess backing.
    I glued the bamboo pieces down on to scuffed CDs and trimmed away the excess. The glue warped the CDs after it dried so I ended up cracking the CDs in 2 spots to relieve the warping.

I also glued the bamboo to particle board and the glue did not warp the board. I assume both woods absorbed the glue evenly whereas a CD won't absorb any glue.

Since its real wood, you can weather it easily with paint, spices, pastels, and scuff it up with steel wool or sandpaper.

Just some ideas for cheap bases and diorama parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282862-jpg   Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282863-jpg   Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282864-jpg   Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282865-jpg   Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282867-jpg   Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pa282871-jpg  

Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.-pb032872-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Bamboo placemats for 1/6 floors, etc.

I think it looks good, great idea with those. Wish I would have thought of that with my garage dio, saved all that time gluing down all this individual boards.
    "There is no better friend...
    and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

I used a bamboo place mat material on my trap-door to my "Tunnel Rat dio".
    Worked great.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wonder if you painted them gun metal gray, you could use them for roll up metal security doors and windows to keep the zombies out. Just wrap a mini chain around it to roll it up or down....hmm.

It was seeing some of these in my local market that gave me the idea to build my 1/6th jungle hut which I used in my VN river dio.

Stuff looks good. There's sushi rolling mats available too, they seem about right for 1/6 use.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -