measurements

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: measurements

measurements

How does one measure something to make it in 1/6 scale now days without looking suspicious? I want to make a newspaper stand along with a trash dumpster and postal box.

Would be kinda cool to have a thread where people jotted down what they were making or made and measurements to go with it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: measurements

Heya, SC!

Good question... prowling around the outside of a dumpster or going over a porto-john with a tape measure is generally something most people raise their eyebrows at. If you're lucky, you live in or near a metropolis like Los Angeles where such things aren't any more unusual then most other things you see going on in public.

If you live in a more "reserved" part of the country, it could be a little more difficult. Especially if local law enforcement hasn't turned totally apathetic towards such things.

Good rule of thumb... don't act "weird". If you want or need to measure something like a dumpster, walk on up, whip out your measuring device and notepad, and get on with it. Acting suspiciously tends to make other suspicious of your actions. Acting normal makes what you do "seem" normal, and no one will pay any attention.

Be cognizant of where and when you are doing your research. Deciding you need to measure that dumpster down the alley in the middle of the night is going to cause trouble. If you need to measure a porto-john, find a construction rental company and go measure one in their yard versus loitering around one at the faire or something.

Lot's of common things can be "guesstimated". Walk past a dumpster, note that the top edge comes up even with the bottom of your shirt pocket, then once comfortably in front of your computron, search Google images to your hearts content. If you know one dimension, you can generally figure most of the others out, at least close enough to get the eventual piece to look right.

Hope my ramblings give you or others some ideas.

Great idea to have a resource of some sort for people to be able to post "research data"!

Russ
    Proud son of Rose and Wes
    "Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence." General Jack D. Ripper

Makes perfect sense! I'm also into Geocaching so blending in has become second nature but this day and age people are on high alert for suspicious behavior but if I do it like I belong there then they shouldn't think anything of it.

The postal drop box was the one that had me the most worried. Not even sure that I could use it in a diorama but I just think it would be cool to have one 1/6 scale. I sure wish someone was making good quality 1/6 scale items. I want a toilet super bad that is the right height and with the clean look. I have a long list of wants! Most of the fun however is going to be making this stuff ourselves.

I better get started !

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"Son's school project" is a good excuse.

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

You can get some pretty good stuff by keywording in Google. Here's a site I found just by Googling "dumpster dimensions":

http://www.crcog.net/vertical/Sites/...7970753%7D.PDF

Mail boxes are a bit tougher proposition - they tend to list dimensions for individual's home boxes.

I find the straightforward approach often works best. Just measure and record dimensions, maybe with some sketching. If asked, just be truthful: You are a scale modeller.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Good ideas!!! I don't know why but making big stuff in 1/6 scale interest me. I think a bathroom scene will be something I attempt at some point in the future. Love the idea of having a toilet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    You can get some pretty good stuff by keywording in Google. Here's a site I found just by Googling "dumpster dimensions":

http://www.crcog.net/vertical/Sites/...7970753%7D.PDF

Mail boxes are a bit tougher proposition - they tend to list dimensions for individual's home boxes.

I find the straightforward approach often works best. Just measure and record dimensions, maybe with some sketching. If asked, just be truthful: You are a scale modeller.
    Very good link. Thank you!

cotswold collectibles just started a toilet in 1/6 scale. http://www.gijoeelite.com/f_itemPart...rPart=GILT-007