One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Creators: How do you keep your item, yours?

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  hicks451 
#1 ·
What I mean by the title, is how do your keep your idea or item from being stolen(idea of it)? Is it a simply copyright - or mainly abide by the honor code?

I wanted to do some wood-work and by no means think my items are that good, but there's always that thought you might just make it awesomely perfect.

#6 ·
I don't think someone taking the concept that has been created and re-creating it for themselves is necessarily a bad thing, I think most here create for the enjoyment of doing so, and are actually flattered when someone "re-creates" it in their own way. It's sometimes how others get ideas. I know I have done that on more than one occasion. I guess the only way one could avoid this is to not post it for others to view and just keep the creation to yourself, but other than that I am glad everyone doesn't do that, otherwise I would never have found this place.

#8 ·
I have dealt with patent, trademark and copyright law over the years in my real job and some of my freelance work (not 1/6 stuff).

It is very difficult to copyright original works someone else does inspired by your original work. Unless they copy your work exactly with the same materials, same dimensions, etc., then it is hard to claim copyright. You must also assert your copyright with a copyright notice. Technically, you don't have to do this, but it is hard to enforce otherwise.

The Internet gives rise to copyright violations all the time. This forum is replete with copyright violations. Every time someone posts pictures of a new figure that were originated by the company, like Soldier Story, that violates copyright for that photo. If you will notice on many of those photos there is actually a copyright notice on them. They don't really enforce that copyright because it is not in their best interest to do so with fan sites that help promote their products.

And it is especially difficult if whatever is copied is not sold commercially. You have to demonstrate damages as well. Given that this forum is international, copyright laws and the extent to which they are enforced varies widely. In many parts of Asia, recognition of copyright and trademarks are a almost nonexistent. Ever heard of a fake Rolex or pirated movies?

Bottom line, this is really little more than an academic discussion.

#9 ·
Interesting subject. If you make something as the original item, then I do not think it can be copyrighted. It has been done in 1/6 that a manufacturer makes the item intentionally wrong so that it can be copyrighted. I remember an interesting case with items made with Italian camo that were later copied. If the item had been made in the prototypical camo pattern then it was based onthe original which I think is public domain.
In terms of furniture as such, I have no idea how how you could protect your work. At the end of the day, someone can buy one of your pieces and they could easily reproduce it in China for 1/10 of the cost. That is the world we live in.
As a side note and under the heading of "you did not ask for my opinion, but here it goes anyway"... I always caution modellers who want to turn their hobby into a business. It is dangerous territory. It is not the same doing something because you want to do it as opposed to having to make an item to fill an order. The passion of a hobby is not easily turned into a passion for a business venture. Always make reference to a VERY old song by Harry Chapin, called Mr.Tanner...
"...but singing was his life, it was not his livelyhood..."

#10 ·
Excellent reference egonzinc - I remember my freshman year at art school like that - I was always very prolific and worked very quickly on illustrations when I was in high school. When they became assignments with deadlines (often times on subjects that I wasn't passionate about) the pleasure and creativity of creating artwork quickly became tedious and not at all fun. As a side note - Harry Chapin's music is the best!:hifive

#11 ·
Please it's always a good idea to share and help other like minded members out. I mean would you like it if you never got tips from other threads? Plus it doesn't matter how good you do it there will always be someone who will know how you did it anyway so there's no point in trying to copyright something that has probably been done before. The only thing you might be able to copyright is the pictures you do so that no one could copy that but as for a model or diorama no chance. I really don't understand why people try to hide how they have done things as it isn't really that difficult to work it out. But please share and help others and then you will get the same respect back and it will actually help you more if you help others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.