One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Scale

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Conan 
#1 ·
I am no stranger to diorama building, but I am a stranger to 1/6 diorama building. :)

Just looking for some tips on how high a single story building should be in 1/6.

I am thinking around 20-24", but can't wrap my head around it.

Should doorways be 15" or so? What about windows?

#2 ·
15 ins sound like a big door - 7 feet 6 ins in real life. According to Answers.com US apartment doors are usually either 30" or 32" wide and the heights are usually 80". In the UK they tend to be 78" (1981mm) high.

So it all depends on what era and what location you want the building to represent. (My in-laws have a 16th Century thatched cottage in the UK and the doors are only about 5'6" - 6')

#7 · (Edited)
In modern US building, interior ceilings are supposed to be at least 8 feet off the floor. The reason has nothing to do with bumping one's head; the idea is that, in case of fire, the smoke will have room to rise so you'll have some breathable air below it. Obviously 8 feet = 16 inches in 1:6.

If you're doing an exterior of a modern American building, figure a building is about ten feet (20 inches) per story. So a three-story building will scale out to about 60 inches high overall. The extra feet go into space between stories for HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), wiring, insulation and sound deadening; plus the roofing itself at the top.

I can't speak for other places and times with any certainty. I know many older European buildings seem to have taller ground floors, but then the ceilings get closer as the stories get higher. Of course, that really comes into play with building four stories and higher, and a scale building of 80" or so is kind of a reach in real life. (But it could be spectacular, if you have the space!)

I know this is late, but maybe it'll help a future reader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.