One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Clear Coating to protect from chipping, scratches and yellowing

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Dethknell666 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I'm wondering if anyone has used any of these clear coats on their figures with success or failure. I'm painting on Hot Toys 1/6 Predator figures, which I assume are made of part hard plastic (arms and legs) and then a soft plastic vinyl of sorts, maybe a urethane (head, body, hands, feet). I use Citadel and Vallejo acrylic paint, that I thin with distilled water. I didn't use any sort of primer prior to the paint job, I just painted a base coat and went to town (I know this maybe part of my problem too). I'm currently using Vallejo Gloss Resin for the clear coat finish and the paint job has chipped in a couple of places upon moving where the armor was making contact and stuck to the figure. Going forward I plan on starting with a Vallejo Surface Primer and then painting on top of that. But I want to find out what would be the best clear coat that will be durable for withstanding chipping/scratches and not yellowing over time. Here is a list of clear coats I'm considering in no particular order:

1. Rust-Oleum Universal High-gloss Clear Spray Paint (
Acrylic Base) UV Resistant

2. Rust-Oleum Gloss Clear Acrylic Enamel 2X Spray Paint (Acrylic Enamel Base)

3. Krylon COLORmaxx Gloss Crystal Clear Spray Paint and Primer In One (Acrylic Base) Non-yellowing finish

4. Vallejo Polyurethane Varnish Gloss, Satin, Matte (Water-Based Polyurethane) UV Resistant

5. Krylon Matte Clear Coat (Acrylic Enamel Base) Non-yellowing finish

6. DECO Color 1K Clear Coat Acrylic Lacquer High Gloss Top Coat Car Protection (Acrylic Lacquer Base?)

So the last three were recommended by fellow painters. The last one was recommended by one of them who is painting using the same paints as me (Citadel and Vallejo), but I can't get that one here in the US, its only currently offered in the UK. #4 & #5 I can get but they don't seem to offer the durability aspect I'm looking to achieve. I'm not trying to pose the figures continually either. Just want to prevent damage in the event of a move where I have to handle them.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.