One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Tips for Photoshopping Custom figures!

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Valares 
#1 ·
Hello Guys, im new here.

Recentely Ive made this custom figure and now Id like some tips taking pictures and editing them (background, effects, etc). You guys knows anything that helps? Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
For figures in general I tend to do one of two things when photographing:

- Take a large piece of black or other suitable coloured cardstock, and put it under and behind the subject. This puts the focus on the figure.
- Find a suitable thematic background picture on google and put it on your TV screen. Prop up some boxes with a piece of cardstock on top in front of the screen to use as a raiser for your subject. This makes the photo thematic but can draw away the focus from the figure.

In both cases you can put a lamp overhead and at an angle from the front. Or you can use daylight.

Nice figure by the way!

#4 ·
You can use Photoshop, but I find it too tedious (don't have the patience).

Image quality of the background isn't an issue as it will usually be out of focus. You do have to make sure you're not catching too much glare from the TV-screen. I did notice that when using too low a resolution photo you can sometimes see these raster lines in the background.

This one looks fine:
Camouflage Ballistic vest Military camouflage Sleeve Marines

As does this one:
Sleeve Gesture Waist Fashion design Toy

But this one has heavy rastering on the actual same background as the phot above. I believe it's because the zoomed-in background image I used is too small in combination with the distance of the camera to the screen. I haven't figured it out. To be honest it's not important enough to me. Most of the time the photo's turn out fine:
Sleeve Entertainment Performing arts Music Latex

#5 ·
Image quality of the background isn't an issue as it will usually be out of focus. You do have to make sure you're not catching too much glare from the TV-screen. I did notice that when using too low a resolution photo you can sometimes see these raster lines in the background.
I see. The trick is to be out of focus. By the way, nice figures you have! ;)

Another problem is mirror your image when you take the picture in front of TV, the TV mirror you too.

But this one has heavy rastering on the actual same background as the phot above. I believe it's because the zoomed-in background image I used is too small in combination with the distance of the camera to the screen. I haven't figured it out. To be honest it's not important enough to me. Most of the time the photo's turn out fine:
I confess that I like to edit in photoshop. You can even remove the base support from the actions and put expressions on them! :D

#6 ·
Seizing the opportunity, follow a photoshop exercise! I accept suggestions, criticism and praise!

Original images

Image edited in Adobe Fireworks. I chose the background first and then take the photo in the best "angle". This helps to improve the perception that the figures are "inside" the scenario. What do you think? 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.