One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Work in progress - Roodhaar (Ember)

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  UltraVargen 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Scroll down for work in progress pictures!

'm gathering (that is, ordering online) materials for my first full custom. My idea is the create a figure of Roodhaar (in English known as Ember) from the Storm graphic novels. They're one of my favourite graphic novel series. Here's a picture of the outfit I'm going for:

Art Cartoon Cg artwork Movie Action film

Now I already have a body and headsculpt coming this way, and I ordered some random bits that I plan on using. But there's some materials I need your guys expertise with. Namely:

Items for the wristbands:
-Buckles (3 mm). I searched for this, but I can't find them this small. The smallest I found are outer width 5 mm, inner 3 mm. I need outer 3 mm preferably. Maybe make them myself from stainless steel wire?
-Thin but sturdy (faux) leather (brown) for wristbands?
-Thin leather laces or cords (about 1 mm thick)?

Elaborate necklace:
- The silver circles have a design on them. I was thinking about very thin metal sheet that can be easily bent, punched etc. But to be honest, I have no idea if this will work. What material could I best use?

Loincloth and red upper arm band:
- Really thin synthetic cloth or (faux) leather? I prefer a matte look here, not glossy. But not sure if the material should be leather. Maybe rubberized cloth would be better for the look. For the loincloth this would be black, for the upper arm band it would be red and I'd paint the lighter red design on.

I've seem beautiful similarly styled customs on these forums - Any help and advice with these materials, and where to get them would be really appreciated! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Need help - Advice on materials for my first full custom?

5 days, over 90 views, and no replies? I noticed this on threads by other people who ask for tips as well. Why is this?

Visited a crafts store in a bigger city but they had painfully little of what I was looking for. So I ordered some random materials online and hope they'll be useable.

Still looking for tips though.

#3 ·

I'm gathering (that is, ordering online) materials for my first full custom. My idea is the create a figure of Roodhaar (in English known as Ember) from the Storm graphic novels. They're one of my favourite graphic novel series. Here's a picture of the outfit I'm going for:

View attachment 400042

Now I already have a body and headsculpt coming this way, and I ordered some random bits that I plan on using. But there's some materials I need your guys expertise with. Namely:

Items for the wristbands:
-Buckles (3 mm). I searched for this, but I can't find them this small. The smallest I found are outer width 5 mm, inner 3 mm. I need outer 3 mm preferably. Maybe make them myself from stainless steel wire?
-Thin but sturdy (faux) leather (brown) for wristbands?
-Thin leather laces or cords (about 1 mm thick)?

For buckles try Links and Sewing Tips
For 1mm leather cord, I just saw 1mm and 2mm in both real leather and vinyl at Joann's fabrics (craft section). I doubt if Joann's is in the Netherlands, but you may be able to order online. If not, try eBay, or google. Good luck!

#4 ·

Thanks smroz! Miniature horse tack, eh, who would have thought? The buckles on that site are exactly what I'm looking for! I've sent them a request for a shipping quote.

We don't have Joann's in the Netherlands, but I did find 1 mm leather cord here. Unfortunately it looks to be too big still. So I eent searching for 0.5 mm, but unfortunately that seems impossible to get by. I'm now thinking of maybe using super thin electrical wire or maybe some other type of cord.

#5 ·

A little update: Over the last weeks I've been attempting to create some pieces for the outfit. I leaned a lot.
- The loincloth has wires in it so it can be posed. But the way I constructed it some of the wire snapped. It's also way to tight around her, so I will create a new one. Perhaps out of faux leather, and drop the idea of posable wires.
- The bikini top is made from yellow lycra, but I leaned that using black spray paint on this material isn't ideal. It looks good in the beginning, but flakes like crazy. I need to find an othewr kind of paint that works on lycra and re-do the top.

Waist Thigh Knee Trunk Sportswear

Joint Swimsuit top Shoulder Leg Stomach

I also attempted a headsculpt in Fimo. Although I'm happy with this as an exercise in sculpting it doesn't look like the t. It also turned out a couple mm too big, so it looks siyyle on the body. For this headsculpt I used user Tony Barton's excellent tutorial here on the forums.

Eyelash Human body Jaw Gesture Tooth

Still a long way to go, and no idea how this project will turn out. But I'm learning a lot.

#6 ·
Hi there! Your project seems to be coming along well -- there is always a learning curve with these things, and often you don't know for sure if something works until you've tried it. I am discovering this myself... sometimes one has to be brave and take chances. :)

That said, I'm sorry to see how few replies the questions in this sub-forum seem to get. I'm new to this particular forum, so that is disappointing. :/

While I'm still fairly new to the hobby myself, I can at least offer a tip regarding painting on fabrics -- I have found some success using model acrylics [Vallejo brand], which I then mix with fabric medium. This essentially turns the model acrylics into 'fabric paint'. I have used this method for both 'dyeing' entire items of clothing, and also for creating weathering effects on both fabric clothing items and on faux leather garments and accessories. It keeps the paint supple and prevents it from flaking.

Here are some examples where I've used this method:

Sharing a jar of moonshine at the end of the world... [used for both dyeing and weathering on these ones]
The Senator and the General [used on the faux leather trim and accessories]

Hope this might be helpful, in some way. : )

#7 ·
Hey skywalkersaga, thanks for your reply! It's great to learn new things experimenting with materials.
I'll try to find the fabric medium that you mentioned. I actually tried experimenting with straight water-thinned Vallejo paint on different types of fabric and found that it stiffened the fabric way too much. So your tip might solve the problem. :)

And might I say, the figures that you linked look great! Very impressed with those!

#8 ·
Hey skywalkersaga, thanks for your reply! It's great to learn new things experimenting with materials.
I'll try to find the fabric medium that you mentioned. I actually tried experimenting with straight water-thinned Vallejo paint on different types of fabric and found that it stiffened the fabric way too much. So your tip might solve the problem. :)
You are most welcome! I just happened upon your post and thought I would share -- I hope it does help. As with anything, it's probably best to experiment on a spare piece of fabric first, just in case. Sometimes it took me a couple of tries to get the precise mixture of paint vs. fabric medium, depending on the colours and type of fabric, etc. Some fabrics are more absorbent than others, which does have an affect on how well it 'takes'. Hopefully it will at least make things a little less stiff. Good luck! :)

And might I say, the figures that you linked look great! Very impressed with those!
Oh, wow, thank you so much! And likewise, I'm impressed by your sculpted head! That looks great, and I'm sure the issues with scale will work themselves out with further attempts. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. :)

#9 ·
UPDATE: Scroll down for work in progress pictures!

View attachment 400042
That guy reminds Ryu (Street Fighter) and the woman, reminds of Red Sonja. But the head you chose is very fine! (
I'm suspicious to talk because I also bought :D )

I would use a custom Ryu head for him. Like this one:

Ryu Street Fighter 1/6 Scale CUSTOM UNPAINTED HEAD for 12" Body Figure NUMO | eBay

For the sword, I would use Boromir`s Sword (Lord of the Rings)

Asmus Toys 1:6 Lord Of The Rings Boromir Figure - Belt + Metal Sword + Sheath | eBay

For the body clothes, I cant see on this photo very well. Do you have another?

A little update: Over the last weeks I've been attempting to create some pieces for the outfit. I leaned a lot.
- The loincloth has wires in it so it can be posed. But the way I constructed it some of the wire snapped. It's also way to tight around her, so I will create a new one. Perhaps out of faux leather, and drop the idea of posable wires.
- The bikini top is made from yellow lycra, but I leaned that using black spray paint on this material isn't ideal. It looks good in the beginning, but flakes like crazy. I need to find an othewr kind of paint that works on lycra and re-do the top.

View attachment 400480
Its insanely very done! Congrats!!! :)

#10 ·
Thanks again both of you!

@Skywalkersaga, I did some searching on internet but haven't bought any fabric medium yet. I found there's different brands wildly ranging in price. What brand do you use if I may ask?

@Valares, thanks for the tips! Storm's head does look a bit like Ryu now that you mention it. Unfortunately this is the only picture with this particular outfit. It's a one off painting they never wore this in the comics. And yes, Roodhaar looks like Red Sonja. I'm certain the artist based her on the famous redhead warrior. I noticed in your pictures as well that you used this head. It's a nice head, but for me it is a placeholder for now. If I decide to continue using it I think I will try replacing the hair for tibetan lamb fur.

#11 ·
Thanks again both of you!

@Valares, thanks for the tips! Storm's head does look a bit like Ryu now that you mention it. Unfortunately this is the only picture with this particular outfit. It's a one off painting they never wore this in the comics. And yes, Roodhaar looks like Red Sonja. I'm certain the artist based her on the famous redhead warrior. I noticed in your pictures as well that you used this head. It's a nice head, but for me it is a placeholder for now. If I decide to continue using it I think I will try replacing the hair for tibetan lamb fur.
I see. And for the weapons? Do you have something in mind?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.