Crafting plate armors

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Crafting plate armors

Crafting plate armors

Hi, guys,

For months now I've been haunted by the idea of making a 1/6 D&D paladin, mostly based on my character from Icewind Dale.

Crafting plate armors-images-jpg

Of course my first thogh was using a marx full plate. But i am curious i can craft something more fantasy oriented. I will use a neodragon body for this base.

Of course i do nof intend use real metal, i was thinking about something flexible thai can dye witb metallic so m question: what i can use to cute the pieces? any ideas or tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Crafting plate armors

You could try using plastic, say from a 2 litre soda bottle, and using a hair dryer to help form it, then use some metallic paints.

Alternatively you could try some aluminium soda cans, cutting and bending/shaping...just be careful, that metal can be awful sharp.

I've not made much in the way of plate armour but appropriately shaped leather could be very effective with a metallic finish!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks for the tips. some considerations: 1) I am not a skiller customizer so I guess I will skip working with tin cans for now. 2) I wonder what is the recipe for plastic you suggested, Pickle Munkey? 3) Painted leather is a great idea, Lynkhart!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the tips. some considerations: 1) I am not a skiller customizer so I guess I will skip working with tin cans for now. 2) I wonder what is the recipe for plastic you suggested, Pickle Munkey? 3) Painted leather is a great idea, Lynkhart!
    3 Ways to Stiffen Leather - wikiHow

You could also try styrene, a heat gun, and vacuum form it.

Thank you all for the tips, I am considering some including using OHP film. I wonder how hard is to cut styrene? Thanks in advance.

Styrene can be cut with a scalpel (or sharp scissors depending on thickness) - just use the blade to score your lines and you can usually just snap it apart.

I used painted styrene for the shoulder pieces on this fig - I can't get Flickr to work with my phone so have a link instead!

Flickr