Tattoo Help

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Tattoo Help

Tattoo Help

Can anyone recommend a good way to make a 1/6th tattoo on a figure? I've played around with junk bodies and different kinds of ink pens with unhappy results. Most of the time the ink bleeds and leaves a fuzzy line or the ink stays wet forever.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've seen people recommend the transfers that women use in their nails, but I haven't tried it myself.

Google for 'nail transfers' or nail tattoos and you'll get a lot of hits.

I got this one, which actually looks as though it's made for doll figures:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-MADE-BABY...3286.m20.l1116

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Perfect. I hadn't considered going the decal route. Should make tattooing a lot easier than pen and ink.

The guy that did the delta figure in the spec figures 1 book had a template for the tribal on his site. However using airbrush stencils could also work i use them on weapons with great effect.
    I wanted a fine blade for a while now because I've shot a couple people and I can't wait to stab one.-TIMMY

I have been using the nail decals for some time. They look great when done and it seems like their is an abundant variety out there. I also have used temperarry tatoos and had some one make custom ones for me. Unforgiven5150 made an EGA for my Custom GungHo. Looks great.

Re: Tattoo Help

nice idea just tryed it on my biker looks great

Don't use pens, go for acrylics and 3/0-10/0 brushes... that will work and won't run is you apply a little paint (thinned down to ink-like consistency) with drying accelerants.

My poorman's method for doing a spec ops Afghanistan US army fella with a tribal design - think we've all seen that pic of the one with the flowers in his BDU cargo pocket - was to draw out a pattern on a wide piece of masking tape, cut the shape out with an xacto knife with a swivel blade for cutting circles and curves, applying to the figure's arm or wherever the design is wanted and then hitting the exposed area with short, controlled bursts of black or dark green spraypaint, doing some quick drying layers.

But make sure you get the tape totally flushed with the surface you're painting because it runs the risk of bleeding outside of the outline.

I am currently looking for an inexpensive and abundant source of military themed tattoos.

I've just found that Archer do a series of tattoo transfers (decals) which are good for 1/6th - 1/4th scales

Archer Iris and Tattoo Decals

Those water slides look great, but what makes them 1/6, 1/4, etc... Aren't tattoos all sizes? I have small and large tattoo's and I'm sure the smaller scales will work just as well as a 1/4 scale decal for a large back piece.
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.

I have googled tattoo designs and printed them on ink jet printer water slide decal paper, sealed them with Testor's decal bonder and applied them to my figures. Case in point: my John McClane figure.