(Pic heavy) How to make a cheap and quick (sort of) brick dio

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: (Pic heavy) How to make a cheap and quick (sort of) brick dio

(Pic heavy) How to make a cheap and quick (sort of) brick dio

Here is a method that i use for making a cheap (total cost $3.50) brick dio. This is what you will need:

"Brick" style backsplash from any home improvement store (Lowes, Home depot, etc,)

12"x12" multicolor slate, cut in quarters. Lowes will cut it for you for .25 cents.

The slate I chose has a rough, uneven texture to it, and looks a bit like uneven concrete.

The backsplash is glued to a netting or weave type material. Open up the package and measure it against the 6"x6" slate base.

In this case, there was some overlap, so I basically cut the backsplash in half and removed one "brick." I also cut away the back netting where I removed the one brick.

Get some Pre-mixed "all purpose filler." I had some in my garage. A large tub will last a long time.

Get a putty knife (or in my case a play-doh knife) and slather the filler over the bricks and into the cracks. Don't be afraid to use a lot, just scrape it off if you have too much.

The top set of bricks is filled with the filler and the bottom one is not.

Now both are filled with the "concrete" type mixture. It doesn't harden very fast, so you can take your time.

Let it harden. It's up to you how long you let it dry. I'm not patient, so I only waited about 20 minutes. An hour or more would be better.

Get some acrylic paints, red and brown and a brush.

Mix the colors together, so you get the desired brick color. Bricks tend to vary from brick to brick, so it may be a good idea to have a liitle brown paint next to your mixed paint, so you can alter some of the brick colors.

Painted and unpainted bricks.

Superglue the bottom part of one of your set of bricks and glue it to the base.

Now, with that brick that you removed at the first part of the tutorial, you have a gap. Place the other painted brick wall into that gap like a puzzle piece. You can glue that one to the base too, if you like.

Add some "debris." I used some rocks and dirt from my yard and the extra brick I removed.

Take a snappy photo..

And then another with a figure...

And that's it. Total cost was $3.50 and about 40 minutes to one hour of work. You could go higher with the brick wall, but you'd have to shore up the back of it by gluing some wood to the back of the brick wall for stability.

I hope someone finds this useful. It's fun to make and there are many possibilities using this technique.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice one! What is backsplash? I might will try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary25 View Post
    Nice one! What is backsplash? I might will try it!
    Here you go: The area located between the countertop and cabinets normally 16-18 inches high.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

thats awsome we have loads of tiles like that spare from when we got our bathroom done ... i no what to do with them naw

That will come in handy for a bash that I have had in my head for over a year now.
    "Overkill is underrated"

Sweetness, thanks zebraten!
    We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams.

Great tip!

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome demo! It's great when you show step by step how you do it.
    Thanks for sharing. Your photos are very nice. I like how just a little
    dio adds so much.

very neat way to go. i'll look out for this at the local shops. thanks doug.

rip toshiba - 11/3/2014
    It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Quote Originally Posted by idreamoftoshiba View Post
    very neat way to go. i'll look out for this at the local shops. thanks doug.
    You're most welcome, Ian.

Very cool idea. I'm surprised I missed it the first time around. The seeming simplicity of the dio got me to go out to Home Depot today to pick up the supplies.

I wanted to have a big "18 x "18 piece of tile cut into four pieces; the Home Depot said they wouldn't do it so I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow to see if I can get a similar tile and have it cut there. I picked up some 6" x "6 tiles to practice on.

I did pick up the little brick backsplash tile and the paint and those are almost ready. I'd like to do a bigger wall and will support it with a piece of wood or hard cardboard, as you suggested.

I'm looking forward to this and thanks for the info and tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn92 View Post
    Very cool idea. I'm surprised I missed it the first time around. The seeming simplicity of the dio got me to go out to Home Depot today to pick up the supplies.

I wanted to have a big "18 x "18 piece of tile cut into four pieces; the Home Depot said they wouldn't do it so I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow to see if I can get a similar tile and have it cut there. I picked up some 6" x "6 tiles to practice on.

I did pick up the little brick backsplash tile and the paint and those are almost ready. I'd like to do a bigger wall and will support it with a piece of wood or hard cardboard, as you suggested.

I'm looking forward to this and thanks for the info and tutorial.
    That's awesome. I'd love to see your finished product!

That looks fab! Great guide!

simply amazing!!