"Beard Stubble" (or, "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: "Beard Stubble" (or, "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")

"Beard Stubble" (or, "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")

Fellow OSW's:

What with all the recent interest in "hair effects," I wanted to share this simple technique to create a "beard stubble (been-out-in-the-field-for-a-couple-of-days-now-and-can't-remember-where-I-left-my-Gillette-Mach3)" effect, that has worked for me:

1. drybrush on a few layers of clear matte (basecoat)
    2. LIGHTLY drybrush on a darker shade of the haircolor you want (brown for blondes; dark brown for redheads; black for brown haired, etc.)
    3. VERY LIGHTLY drybrush the highlights
    4. seal it, and you're done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Beard Stubble" (or,  "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")-02-bobcrippen07-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

BT5OS (close-up)

Just a close-up of the above:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Beard Stubble" (or,  "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")-02-bobcrippen08-jpg  

Wow, I dig it. That can spruce up my 'Nam figures. What kind of clear coat are you using, and what type of paint are you using, acrylic? That looks fantastic. Also, how is it sealed, using the same matte clearcoat?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks really cool, but for this to work, the headsculpt already has to have stubble sculpted on, right? Otherwise, how do you get it to be so 'grainy' with the dots on a smooth faced figure?
    http://www.famousfigures.com
    V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

BTW, John Tesh.

Suppressed Fire:
    I used a clear "fabric paint" acrylic to create the raised "stubble"
    ("Duncan's fabric paint" - something like that); you'll find them in "squeegee" bottles in the fabric paint section of an arts/crafts store. It's water-based acrylic flexible paint, that air-cures to a flexible vinyl finish. Pretty much what I've used for all headsculpt repaints. I like the fact that it can be textured, bonds really well to the vinyl and is extremely scratch-resistant. You pretty much have to take a razor knife to it to scrape it off. I've also had a lot of success using it to create facial/body burn effects, swelling around "recent" wounds, etc.

Zombie IPKevin:
    The clearcoat you begin with, creates the textured surface on the vinyl, you don't have to have the stubble sculpted on. However, I guess it could only enhance an already sculpted "beard" (I'll have to try that one)
    Actually the sculpt in the picture is an old ('98 ?) "Bob Crippen - Shuttle Pilot" from the Hasbro Classic Collection I got from Buddy Finnethy a few years back and repainted it in May of 2001. I just wanted to transform him into a "smug green-eyed blonde Brit SAS."
    BTW: I didn't realize the resemblance to JTesh until you mentioned it
    Last edited by Numbrsix; 07-16-2003 at 00:58.

John Tesh. That's exactly what I thought when I first opened this thread.

Great technique, though.
    Feedback

"Freedom is not free."

OMFG!

EEEK! John Tesh in military gear, that is just so wrong! Very nice technique on the beard stubble 6.
    Eric aka Primus

Has anyone tried mixing fine sand in the paint yet? Seems like that might give some surface texture.
    Smell The Plastic

wow....

crisibabe.
    crisibabe's Swiss Invasion

I thought John Tesh as well, but that doesn't negate the fact that its very nice work. Very impressive.

VERY nice technique...thanks for sharing it with us......
    Brian AKA GungHo
    [email protected]

"Find the Bastards...and pile on them!"- motto of the 11th ACR Vietnam

pdog's Best Technique Shared Award

Excellent technique, Numbrsix. You are now, officially THE MAN, for 16 July, 2003.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Wow!

Thanks for sharing that! On one of the HHH headsculpts that I stripped I would like do a high tight and this how-to techinque was just what I needed! That's why this forum is so awesomely cool! Course I would be a several hundred dollars richer if it weren't for this forum

F106lady

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks. I'm glad to hear some of you will be trying it - I'd love to see your results.

Dubar1 had an interesting suggestion on mixing sand to create texture. I did try something like that once - I mixed some of the "small glass micro beads" (usually found in the scrapbooking section), since sand will tend to "clump" together, and is too caorse for this application in this scale. What I also found was that I could not apply an evenly distributed coat (it looked "splotchy"), and I also ran into an issue with it looking way too out of scale for a 1/6th beard, as the layers of drybrushed colors were added.

It DID however, look exactly like the kind of bubbling found along the edges of the epidermis in 3rd-degree burns! (Scribbled that one in my notebook; have since used it successfully on several "walking wounded" figures)

That looks awsome!

Fantastic technique, Numbrsix!!!

This technique would also work great in adding razor stubble to some of the Cy-Girls' legs and armpits as well!
    "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
    John 16:33

Thanks for clearing that up about the clearcoat creating stubble. Awesome technique!

Re: "Beard Stubble" (or, "Beyond The 5 O'clock Shadow...")

Great tips everyone. I may eventually try this sometime